• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I had no idea, maybe l suspected as much.....

It's interesting, but this is an example of the Apex Fallacy. In this case, the selection process is "top down" until they have enough to make a list for their sales pitch.

If there are 5+ million people with ASD in the US alone, it would be strange if they couldn't find 20 well known, competent people among so many. The interesting question is the split: what's the proportion of prominent ASDs compared to non-ASDs.

If you selected from ASDs who have neither Executive Dysfunction nor avoidance-related issues, you'd expect to find something close to entire-population-typical proportions of capable and successful people.

The IT business is full of people with obvious "ASD traits" who fit that profile. BTW - in many STEM professions, certainly including IT, I'd expect to find slightly higher proportions of ASD vs non-ASD than in all professions.

The gaming industry is currently going through an interesting evolution that might test our collective IT capabilities /lol. We'll know in 5 or 10 years.

In looking through the list, it seems to me that most of them were merely suspected of being autistic or having a few characteristics, but were never officially diagnosed. It appears to be an unfortunate trend that some people claim to be autistic with no evidence for it, simply because it has become fashionable to do so. How about a list of those who we KNOW were autistic through an official diagnosis.

I would very much like to see a transcript of the diagnosis interview of, say, Thomas Jefferson or Albert Einstein.

In looking through the list, it seems to me that most of them were merely suspected of being autistic or having a few characteristics, but were never officially diagnosed. It appears to be an unfortunate trend that some people claim to be autistic with no evidence for it, simply because it has become fashionable to do so. How about a list of those who we KNOW were autistic through an official diagnosis.

I would very much like to see a transcript of the diagnosis interview of, say, Thomas Jefferson or Albert Einstein.

I completely agree. I love Woody Allen, but it's hard to see his chatty, socially integrated, New York characters coming from an Autistic author. Plus, focus on detail and a certain "control freak" nature probably lend themselves to film directing. These aren't necessarily Autistic traits.

And Seinfeld just seems like a tool with a lot of insecurity, despite helping to define TV for an entire decade. I say that as someone who caught most of his show when it first aired. "Man-child," is a more apt description, from my point-of-view.

If you follow an interest and can work in the field that allows you to exhibit your superpower, you are likely to be successful. First, define success. I think most people assume it means money and fame. That was my first thought. We forget that you can be successful as a common person who does a good job and lives in peace.

Sure wish I was one, but alas there is not much going for me!

I said to my sister: I do not have any clout in this system, so those of my siblings who do, are able to achieve what I cannot achieve.

I try very had to just accept reality.

If you follow an interest and can work in the field that allows you to exhibit your superpower, you are likely to be successful. First, define success. I think most people assume it means money and fame. That was my first thought. We forget that you can be successful as a common person who does a good job and lives in peace.
That's how I obtained success my special skill, combined with my natural intelligence and education.

Sure wish I was one, but alas there is not much going for me!

I said to my sister: I do not have any clout in this system, so those of my siblings who do, are able to achieve what I cannot achieve.

I try very had to just accept reality.

You love and you are loved back. That is true success, ultimately of greater value than just making money although it may not feel like it at the moment.

Happy, comfortable, my current state in retirement.
That sounds to me like satisfaction, which could be excellent grounds for success.

It's a personal subjective thing.

But someone may have achieved truly great things (however you define that) but died young, alone, in poverty, illness and/or great pain. Were they successful?

I'm not even sure there really is something called success, it seems more like those other undefinable words - infinity, perfection, all those impossible things people strive for yet can never attain because they don't exist.

Maybe it's more accurate to say success in a certain frame of reference. Financial success, success in relationships, family, career, creativity. But alone, does it actually mean anything, or just a tag on which we can each lay our own ideas while never matching the definition of another's?

That sounds to me like satisfaction, which could be excellent grounds for success.

It's a personal subjective thing.

But someone may have achieved truly great things (however you define that) but died young, alone, in poverty, illness and/or great pain. Were they successful?

Read: Frank Schubert, among many others who we remember as great but who lived pretty miserable lives.

I'm not even sure there really is something called success, it seems more like those other undefinable words - infinity, perfection, all those impossible things people strive for yet can never attain because they don't exist.

Maybe it's more accurate to say success in a certain frame of reference. Financial success, success in relationships, family, career, creativity. But alone, does it actually mean anything, or just a tag on which we can each lay our own ideas while never matching the definition of another's?

Bobby Fischer – Chess Grandmaster:​

• Chess prodigy and former World Chess Champion.
  • Fischer displayed eccentric behavior and social difficulties, leading to speculation about him being on the autism spectrum.

Bobby Fischer – Chess Grandmaster:​

• Chess prodigy and former World Chess Champion.
  • Fischer displayed eccentric behavior and social difficulties, leading to speculation about him being on the autism spectrum.
LOL...almost forgot about him. "Social difficulties" indeed....lol. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom