• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm going to get a cold

Misty Avich

I have ADHD. I prefer not to be called autistic
V.I.P Member
My husband said he has a sore throat and his glands in his neck are swollen. I guess that means a cold coming on. We kiss every day so there's a 100% chance I'll catch it, even though we very seldom get colds. But I suppose we've got to get one sooner or later.

It's just whenever I get a cold I seem to feel iller than he does, even though I'm much healthier than he is (as in I don't smoke like he does). But when he (and most people) gets a cold it's just a stuffed nose and a sore throat, but when I get a cold it's a painful stuffed nose, severe aching all over my body, swollen cheeks, stomachache, nausea, fever, chills, weakness. It's so difficult to make myself get up and go to work when I have a cold even though the sickness policy at my work is that having a cold doesn't prevent you from working but when I have a cold I'd rather stay indoors and rest. All the cold symptoms are so distracting and uncomfortable and painful, and almost makes me just want to crawl rather than walk. It's how bad I get.

I guess I could tell them I have the flu rather than just a cold. Because it might as well be flu, even though my colds only last for about 3 or 4 days but during those very few days it makes me very unwell. Why do colds have to exist? :rolleyes:

My husband said he has a sore throat and his glands in his neck are swollen. I guess that means a cold coming on. We kiss every day so there's a 100% chance I'll catch it, even though we very seldom get colds. But I suppose we've got to get one sooner or later.

It's just whenever I get a cold I seem to feel iller than he does, even though I'm much healthier than he is (as in I don't smoke like he does). But when he (and most people) gets a cold it's just a stuffed nose and a sore throat, but when I get a cold it's a painful stuffed nose, severe aching all over my body, swollen cheeks, stomachache, nausea, fever, chills, weakness. It's so difficult to make myself get up and go to work when I have a cold even though the sickness policy at my work is that having a cold doesn't prevent you from working but when I have a cold I'd rather stay indoors and rest. All the cold symptoms are so distracting and uncomfortable and painful, and almost makes me just want to crawl rather than walk. It's how bad I get.

I guess I could tell them I have the flu rather than just a cold. Because it might as well be flu, even though my colds only last for about 3 or 4 days but during those very few days it makes me very unwell. Why do colds have to exist? :rolleyes:
Maybe you have something like rhinitis?
I have it, so every time I get a cold my symptoms are pretty hard to endure. High fevers, fatigue, pain allover, etc.

Maybe you have something like rhinitis?
I have it, so every time I get a cold my symptoms are pretty hard to endure. High fevers, fatigue, pain allover, etc.
Yes I do have rhinitis, so having a cold inflames my sinuses so bad and makes me so ill with a fever. But a rhinitis attack only lasts a few hours and there are things that can sort of help ease it off such as obas oil, nasal spray and sleeping with raised pillows. None of that seems to clear my nose when having a cold, even after having a hot, steamy bath.
A stuffed nose with rhinitis or hay fever is just a different sort of stuffed nose to what it is with a cold. You'll probably know what I mean there lol.
At least with rhinitis you don't get the things you get with a cold, such as fever, sore throat, swollen glands, muscle aches or being contagious.

Also with a cold often the glands in my stomach swell, making me feel bloated and hiccupy. It's horrible.

The "get sicker" part isn't your imagination. You can have inflammatory / allergic responses to colds.

I get severe laryngitis / asthma with colds. It lasts for weeks if I don't get steroids. It is a well documented effect - basically, you can be allergic to the virus that causes colds. I got less sick with actual COVID-19.

The "get sicker" part isn't your imagination. You can have inflammatory / allergic responses to colds.

I get severe laryngitis / asthma with colds. It lasts for weeks if I don't get steroids. It is a well documented effect - basically, you can be allergic to the virus that causes colds. I got less sick with actual COVID-19.
That most likely explains it then.

Luckily colds don't usually go to my lungs or chest really, maybe a bit but it's still the least bothersome thing for me (just personally speaking). I often go deaf after a cold, and I'm not used to having any wax or anything because my ears are always dry and empty (a contrast to how my ears were as a child).

This sounds more like the flu than the cold.
Exactly. Whenever I get a cold it's always more flu-like, even though it doesn't last long. Getting up and going to work as normal with flu-like symptoms is very difficult indeed. It's almost like you're dragging your body around.

There's a spray you can get in the chemist that claims if you use it during the early onset of a cold, it can reduce the duration or how badly it feels. But what if you felt like you had a cold coming on, then it actually ends up being something else? That would make you feel way worse since there probably is a bit of the virus in the spray, to serve like a "vaccine" type thing.

You can technically have the cold, the flu and Covid at the same time. I say technically, because they are all different viruses you could be infected with just by breathing the same air.

I have a stye or something similar on my eyelid. Whenever I've had styes before, a really bad cold always followed. So I suppose now I've got to brace myself because by Thursday or Friday I'm going to be floored with flu-like symptoms, miss a couple of days pay, and move up one level on my already poor attendance record. :rolleyes:

So I suppose now I've got to brace myself because by Thursday or Friday I'm going to be floored with flu-like symptoms, miss a couple of days pay, and move up one level on my already poor attendance record. :rolleyes:
I suggest you soldier through your flu and go to work...
...Others deserve to enjoy the misery, too... :p

New Threads

Top Bottom