• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In need of help for nephew

Ame568

I'm so sorry, I post in this topic too much but I just don't know what to do. My nephew is going to be 5 years old next month and he's non-verbal but the issue is he will not stop hitting/slapping (himself and us), biting, kicking, pinching, punching, running and hitting us (like he's trying to topple/tackle us down) or screaming (his screams are so loud that he made my mom go temporarily deaf). I get that some of it is because he can't communicate but a lot of times he does these things because he's told "no" or because there's a commercial on TV or a TV show is ending. His mood switches like a light switch. He can be laughing one second then he's screaming the next. I don't know what to do in order to help him and to teach him that biting, screaming and such are unacceptable behaviors. I just don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any tips that could help?

1. Not being able to communicate is awful for everyone. Start working on that, if you haven't already. Is he signing or able to use an iPad?
2. Part of the autistic condition, some worse than others, is the fact that it is difficult to switch from one task or focus, to another. It is quite frustrating and agitating to be interrupted when you are "in the zone" and focused. The neurotransmitters keep firing due to an excess of excitatory neurotransmitters (glutamine) and not enough inhibitory neurotransmitters (GABA).
3. Alexithymia, and/or the inability to regulate emotional states. 100% ON/OFF. I have learned to simply shut them down rather than go through the embarrassment of expressing emotions. It's always bad.

Giving him something constructive to focus on. A hobby or interest that also gives him life skills. Even at the age of 5 I was working a metal lathe and making engine parts for my grandfather. My parents made mow the lawn at the age of 9. Pump gas into the car at 8. Change bike tubes on my bike at 7. So on and so forth. My parents were all about independence and me doing things. If I wanted something, I had to learn to do it, they made a point of NOT doing things for me. If I needed money as a child, I weeded the neighbor's garden beds, I shoveled snow, I raked leaves, I mowed lawns, I painted houses and fences.

Now, I realize your nephew is not me, but there may be something to it by making him focus upon a task and doing things for himself, and NOT trying to correct him, but allowing him to make his own mistakes and trying again. Life skills. He may amaze you with what he can do if you just give him a chance and get out of his way. Hovering parents are never good in these situations. Give him some "wide guardrails" and let him learn without the parents interjecting, even if it means making little mistakes, which he undoubtedly will. It's OK.

I get that some of it is because he can't communicate...
I offer the perspective that he is communicating, but all that he has accessible to him right now is biting, pinching, kicking, screaming etc. These are expressions of extreme emotions that your nephew may not understand and certainly cannot express in a way that is safe, clear, and appropriate. These unwanted behaviors may be a desperate way to express what he is experiencing on the inside.

I think a creative and determined approach to communication would be key here - keep trying to find ways for your nephew to express himself and understand what is going on in his world. If you can help him identify the feeling of anger and show him a way to express that, you may see fewer violent reactions to strong feelings.

It's tough for any kid to learn these things at 5 years old and it will likely take great perseverance and patience on your part, but that's what we do for the little kids we love, right? Hang in there. Practice self care where you can so that you can be in the right headspace to manage some of your nephew's more difficult behaviors. Change is possible with concerted effort and time. 🌈

Does anyone have any tips that could help?
The real important question about language is, "Is he non-verbal, or pre-verbal?" (What works for one does not work for the other.)
If he is non-verbal, he will have other effective means of communication, like the aforementioned iPad or signing.
If he is pre-verbal, that means his development was arrested before he acquired speech & literacy (like my daughter). Signing from such is very limited and prowess with an iPad would be nonexistent.

For the screaming, keep protective headphones handy. I have one son who would scream whenever he did not get his way because it would set the house up in an uproar. We went as far as we could, physically (short of abuse), to stop him, but nothing worked. We started passing out headphones when he got that way and, eventually, he gave up on that tactic. You can still hear what you need to, but it takes the edge off.

As for the biting, pinching, punching, et al., your responses are pretty limited without his parents' blessing. See
https://www.autismforums.com/direct-messages/constraining-autistic-aggression.13130/

BTW, even though your nephew has autism, the violence that you describe arises from a secondary condition, similar to a TBI. You should frame his acting out in those terms. Autism alone does not make one feral.

I agree that he may be attempting to communicate, and that he may be frustrated and/ or angry because he is unable to effectively communicate his needs. My mother says, before I talked enough for her to understand what was going on, I used to bite her and scream a lot. She said it used to happen when my daily routines were broken (this could be changes away from favorite foods, toys, tv shows, etc), when I didn't like or want something she was repeatedly trying to get me to do, or if I couldn't have or do something I really wanted. It would also happen and she couldn't figure out what the cause was. Back then, she didn't know that I have ASD. I have a lot of sensory issues, and I think that the times when I acted out and she couldn't understand why, it may have been because I was overwhelmed by things in my environment (certain sounds/ loud noise, textures of food or things touching my skin, too many people around, etc). I was unable to express that feeling of being overwhelmed any other way, and could not make the things in my environment, that were overstimulating me, stop. So, I think I did whatever I could to try to make it stop.

For people with sensory issues, certain stimuli (light, noise, touch, texture) can cause severe pain or nausea, muscle tension that causes pain, or other unpleasant physical reactions that others may not be aware of. Routines are important for people with ASD because it helps us to cope with stimulus in the environment, by giving us a familiar reference point/ safety zone. This is important when your environment has a lot of things in it that are scary or very unpleasant (ie. overstimulus), especially to a child. I think that whenever your nephew is acting out, it might be helpful to try to find a way of communicating with him. Calmly, tell him that you can't understand what he is trying to tell you, and that you want to help him. Ask him to show you what is wrong or what he needs. If he cannot sign or use a tablet, it might be helpful to enroll him in a program for young children with ASD. Perhaps they could help teach him ways of communicating. It also might be helpful to try to reduce some of the stimulus in his environment. Maybe something is setting him off and he is so overwhelmed, all he can do is react. I recently learned from my therapist that it can be psychologically very traumatic for a child with ASD to constantly be exposed to overstimulus, when they cannot make it stop, and for them to frequently be in situations where they feel unsafe. This can lead to childhood PTSD, which can in some cases, result in violence toward others or self-destructive behavior.

Last edited:
The stuff happening around the TV dynamics is a great source of stress to him, it sounds like. Put him into rooms where TVs are not or are turned off.

After shows end there is music, but after shows end there is also advertisements which he also reacts to. It's possible he's learned when to expect ads are coming. Ads tend to be much louder than movies, it could be a hypersensitivity reaction.

What is he told no about? Do you do it authoritarian or do you aim to explain the benefits?

Try not telling him no but suggesting what he should do instead. Exemplifying desired behaviors, if it's something truly necessary for him not to do. Or distracting him with another activity he enjoys.

What we learn with dogs is that if something on tv is triggering, turn the tv off let the dog calm down. It's already 1up to ABA because aba doesn't even rely on understood behavioral dynamics but on methods from which animals are clearly shown not to learn.
If the dog calmed down the tv gets turned back on. If you see some indication the kid is about to act, turn it off, preferably before he blows up. Exposure therapy within the limits of ability in autism works but is at best temporary if it works at all, and I believe you should look for psychotherapy for him, someone familiar with adhd if you can't find autism as these kids can come with more challenges.

Screenshot_20240827-231647.png

More information here

What To Do When Your Autistic Child Gets Aggressive

New Threads

Top Bottom