• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is a professional diagnosis any help?

iris817yuri

Hello everyone.

Recently my family finally started discussing getting a diagnosis in regards to work. Other than autism (which I've operated under the assumption of since graduating) I am visually impaired, and it seems like workplaces already ignore an application when that comes up unless they either can think of accommodations or are just that desperate for employees. When applying for jobs I do carry a copy of the ophthalmologist's note. I am extremely nervous at the idea of telling anybody about being autistic, even if it is obvious. I don't even like talking about it with friends and family.
If you are diagnosed and/or employed, how useful is a true diagnosis really? Many people also seem to be going back and forth about it so interested to see different thoughts.

I'm a little confused. What are you hoping for in terms of disclosing your diagnoses when applying for jobs?

There are reasons to get a professional diagnosis for autism, but it's not going to help in the workplace except in very specific circumstances.

It's been useful for me in disclosing my diagnosis, but I am in a highly unique situation that probably doesn't apply to almost anyone else in the forum.

I'm a little confused. What are you hoping for in terms of disclosing your diagnoses when applying for jobs?

There are reasons to get a professional diagnosis for autism, but it's not going to help in the workplace except in very specific circumstances.

It's been useful for me in disclosing my diagnosis, but I am in a highly unique situation that probably doesn't apply to almost anyone else in the forum.
To be honest, I'm not sure. My family is suggesting it, but I don't think what they think will happen (??) will happen. With showing my eye doctor's report it's more useful because there's more concrete do/don'ts that come with it (eg using assistive devices, no extreme fine motor movement etc)

I was somewhat interested because looking around it seems most people here are diagnosed, but likely it may have happened when they were younger.

Hello everyone.

Recently my family finally started discussing getting a diagnosis in regards to work. Other than autism (which I've operated under the assumption of since graduating) I am visually impaired, and it seems like workplaces already ignore an application when that comes up unless they either can think of accommodations or are just that desperate for employees. When applying for jobs I do carry a copy of the ophthalmologist's note. I am extremely nervous at the idea of telling anybody about being autistic, even if it is obvious. I don't even like talking about it with friends and family.
If you are diagnosed and/or employed, how useful is a true diagnosis really? Many people also seem to be going back and forth about it so interested to see different thoughts.
It just depends upon what you plan to get out of an official diagnosis. Some things to think about though:

1. You are more likely to receive accommodations and worker protections if you are dealing with a larger company or corporation with a Human Resources department. However, in order to receive those accommodations and worker protections, they need the paperwork from your doctor, and you will likely need to speak to a Human Resources representative who will interview you in order to understand your specific needs. You just cannot claim and receive.

2. If you wish for protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or similar, (depending upon your country), you will need an official diagnosis. Again, whether it be regarding employment issues, applying for disability assistance, or even if, somehow, you become entangled within the legal system, you will need your paperwork.

3. There are those, like me, that appreciate and value the answers achieved through a thorough testing and diagnostic process. It's one thing to have a strong sense one is autistic, and then there is the information received from (in my case) a team of people who ran me through a series of different cognitive tests, assessing my reaction times, my body language. Then, an interview process with more testing. Then, a few hours of written tests. I gained some knowledge upon the review of my results. It's one thing to have cognitive biases thinking you know yourself, and then there is the reality presented to you after testing that suggests you might not know yourself as well as you thought you did. It was productive and informative. I wish I could have had EEG testing, neuro-imaging, and genetic testing at the time, as well. I went to a local mental health facility for my testing, but in retrospect, I would have jumped at the opportunity to go to a university-based autism research center for a more thorough testing.

Last edited:
For me getting a formal diagnosis served a specific purpose - it got me a pension and I never have to work again.

I think in the end I would have gone for a formal diagnosis anyway, just to satisfy my own curiosity. Finding out about autism certainly answered so many questions about my life. As for disclosure at work, I suggest caution. This largely depends on what country you live in of course. In countries like the US a lot of you rely on your employers for health insurance where as in countries like Australia that practice is illegal.

I think if you're relying on an employer for that insurance and you have a formal diagnosis it could interfere with any claims if they find out and you didn't disclose.

In most cases declaring that you're autistic during a job application process isn't going to do you any favours.

It depends. What country are you in?

My experience in the USA is that they cannot deny you employment if you are “disabled”, and an official diagnosis might qualify you under the ADA, but unless you are applying for a position at a major company or government…. nobody wants to hire a person with ’special needs’.

An official diagnosis for an adult means you could use it if necessary, but you could choose to keep it to yourself too. If you don’t aren’t diagnosed then you are (legally) just guessing when you say that you’re on the spectrum.

I suspected I had Aspergers and sought a professional evaluation to confirm such. I didn't do it to get benefits or employment protection, I did it so that I better understood myself. I had a lifetime of examples where my Aspergers played out, but without knowing that there was a condition that has a name and represents all the weirdness and confusion I knew were part of my feelings and behaviors. It's like everyone wondering why they are not like everyone else. I have all the classic symptoms of Aspergers. By having an official diagnosis, I was better able to understand and do what I could to accept and manage these symptoms. It also explained actions and occurrences in life that I felt embarrassed about and couldn't explain in any rational way. I am better able to manage my life forward by being able to identify what bothers me and develop strategies to get through life's surprises knowing my weaknesses and short-comings. I tend to gravitate toward the things I can do well and take pride in those abilities. I hated school, but I love learning. I found my own way to deal with that.

Research into Autism is still underdeveloped. There has been a lot of scientific research, but there is no manual for people suffering from Autism or Aspergers. We simply know where it is likely to affect us and we have to decide what to do about it. I love a big carnival, but I hate crowds, flashing lights, and chaotic noises. "Why" is no longer the question. "What" to do about it rests with me. But at least I know my anxiety is legitimate for reasons that can be explained.

I was a reasonably successful, never being diagnosed for the most part perceived as a exceptional employee I'M not a big believer in crutches, even after my stroke refused wheel chair until I could walk with walker. Now capable of walking six kilometers. I do not see being on the spectrum as being disabled just different.

It depends. What country are you in?
My experience in the USA is that they cannot deny you employment if you are “disabled”, and an official diagnosis might qualify you under the ADA, but unless you are applying for a position at a major company or government…. nobody wants to hire a person with ’special needs’.
Yes, what country you live in and what legal system they have does make a difference. In Australia I wasn't allowed to refuse employment to someone because of a disability, but what I could do was refuse to employ them due to character/personality. "I'm sorry but I'm not convinced that you would be a good fit with the rest of the team.".

You're correct that no one wants to employ a person with special needs, but if you're able to sell yourself well many employers are interested in someone that has special abilities.

My special abilities were such that they did not want my to retire and after I retired threatened to sue me If I used them in behalf of a competitor making it out as proprietary.

I’m not pursuing a diagnosis. It is perfectly clear I have Asperger’s now known as ASD1.

I can’t imagine subjecting myself to the intrusive sorts of questions and tests to confirm something I know.

OP, I do not think that you should disclose your diagnosis, generally, but I think that you should become as familiar as possible with your version of autism and learn how to spin it in a positive light to others (without giving it a specific label).

Let it out somewhat so you can see if your potential employer will tolerate your personality even though your diagnosis remains ambiguous. Being your most polite self is not masking, but masking beyond that is not sustainable in a long-term employment relationship.

A professional diagnosis helps weight out other disorders. It’s a great way to narrow down and understand your brain. I found it to be really useful and educational.

A diagnosis can be helpful for applying to programs that are geared specifically toward hiring people on the spectrum along with the potential benefits you could receive having the diagnosis.

I have been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride with my diagnosis. I have been treated as being on the spectrum from 2015 to 2022 at that point I was formally diagnosed. I existed for a while in a space of being treated as I had traits. I quite liked that state without going for a professional diagnosis. I felt though that I really needed clarification in my life and did the professional diagnosing. The diagnosing has helped me have some clarity with life. I have been thinking that I am probably glad that I was diagnosed when I was to have and had the experiences I have. Some people can be quite literal and the diagnosis can seem like it has shut down their lives. I see many inspirational people here though. It is mainly some young males I have seen like they have shut down their lives on other boards and backed by family until they snap. I have seen a few posts on other boards like my son has not left the house in a decade on some etc. Some just seem to take the negatives and almost believe it all and shut down their lives. For some though with a life of masking some adjustments may be need to be made as well. I thought at first I mainly had ASD 1 and some 2's and quite easily adjusted to it, then reread my document and saw I actually had a lot more moderates level 2 for sections than I imagined and questioned if some had even gone up since the test. May be in some areas, but my life doesn't really read like that in total. I feel like this has been a challenging period for me to deal with a bit at times this level 2 affected in all categories is a bit more than I was prepared to take on without really support as well which they seem to suggest you need, other than my faith pretty much. I try and avoid internalising what I don't need and focus on the positives I have achieved and also positive stories as well. I am sure I will come to more peace with that with myself.

The diagnosis has helped with NHS medical adaption’s and being understood more and me personally as well. It has also helped me to be more understanding of myself.

Last edited:
level 2 affected in all categories is a bit more than I was prepared to take on without really support as well which they seem to suggest you need, other than my faith pretty much.
What kind of support if I can ask? I'm asking out of curioisity.

New Threads

Top Bottom