• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it an autism thing to see connections that others say don't exist?

A very serious problem for me in social interaction is that let's say there's a concept A and concept B, I tend to see a connection that's "obvious" for me and I speak about it normally. 90% people I interact with however either say that the connection doesn't exist or that the connection is too loose to talk about. Whenever this happens, I get highly confused and explain the connection that exists but it annoys people a lot. I don't know what to do because everyone else connects concepts and ideas and they don't encounter a problem. But for me, I don't know if it's a connection people would be willing to accept and acknowledge unless I actually tell them and get to know their reaction. I get really confused and I don't come across this anywhere related to autism. I identify with some other autistic traits although I may or may not be autistic. Is this an autistic thing? Has anyone encountered a similar problem before? If anyone has a suggestion to resolve this issue, please let me know. I just want to have basic, normal interactions with people but that seems to be impossible. I don't want to be introverted but there's really no choice for someone like me.

Is the above article a good representation of what you are trying to describe? (especially the part on associative thinking)

The way you describe it, yes, it's a trait commonly associated with autism. Of course, that doesn't automatically mean that you're autistic, only based on this. But yes, it is.

That is a fairly common trait of autism. But as AB above says it doesn't automatically mean you are autistic. My own experience has been that I make a lot of connections most others don't make. It's taken a long time but I've learned to recognize most of the connections my NT friends/workmates etc would find odd and usually don't bother mentioning them. Or at least not bother explaining, I usually just tell them to "forget it" and move on if I see that lost look in their eyes.

If you dig deep enough into any topic, you will find all sorts of associations. For example, when doing medical research on a given topic, you will find that many different disciplines (cardiology, nephrology, neurology, oncology, neonatology, etc.) may be studying the same or similar phenomenon. The interesting thing is that the disciplines rarely communicate with each other, and when you point that out to people, they are either amazed that scientists in one area of medicine have already figured out the biological pathways that may also apply to another area of medicine, or sometimes it is disregarded because the patient population isn't the same. As a respiratory therapist in the neonatal unit, part of my research over the years has been on the topic of oxygen radical production and its contributions to neonatal mortality and morbidities. Well, come to find out, the oncologists figured out all these pathways that apply to many of the common diseases that we see in all ages and all organ systems. When I pointed this out to my physician colleagues, they were rather taken back by the fact that I could come up with literally thousands of articles on a related topic, but very few were referenced in the neonatal literature, pointing out the fact that the disciplines rarely speak to each other, much to the detriment of the patient and the working knowledge of the physician.

Another example would be the topic of "fluidics", the movement of fluids and gases through conduits. Well, you can look at it from a mechanical engineering perspective, but also from the perspective of studying gas flow through the bronchial tree in the lungs, to blood flow through the heart and vascular system.

Many autistics do have "special interests" or may get their brain focused upon something, and we can't seem to let it go, to the point of interrupting sleep. Some of those special interests or topics require a fair amount of research, it is not uncommon to find other topics associated with that special interest that may stimulate further research into other areas, leading to yet another "special interest". This is usually my routine, that is, taking a "deep dive" into a topic, only to find myself taking another "deep dive" into something that was connected to it.

I find most people tend to simply ask a question and want a short answer. Then there are others, like me, that find myself on this intellectual journey of discovery.

Last edited:
Is the above article a good representation of what you are trying to describe? (especially the part on associative thinking)
Yes it is. Weirdly enough I'm quite bad at seeing connections when it comes to understanding jokes and sarcasm but there are connections which I see that others don't and it becomes a problem in conversation because the other person gets confused until I fully explain it and then gets annoyed. Many times I get confused because idk why the other person is not understanding that. It's exactly how other people feel when they say a joke and I don't get it.

My career depended on me seeing connections which worked exceptionally well. Some Is epiphany, rest is just acquired knowledge, I'M good at acquiring knowledge.

I've always attributed my ability to "read in between the lines" based not on natural instincts, but in obtaining a degree in political science. Learning that complex agendas don't always mesh with words or actions. Where the answer to something may require "digging" well below the surface of things.

Often forcing me away from all that "black and white thinking" we're known for to see all those "shades of grey" that often exist, but are sometimes hidden.

Yet much like autism spokesperson Temple Grandin, I don't have a particularly ideological mindset, looking at anything and everything on an individual basis, without "marrying" any particular ideas or ideals.

Last edited:
In social instances I knew better than adults that being quiet didn't mean being disrespectful maybe because I was a little percentage of the population who actually is. My differences allowed insight into different perspectives.

But I can understand some people better than people generally do, because I studied psychology and I also have been a tested listener and studied the class and then did work on people, heard their stories and their situations. I also have experience more than some older people in relationships, they stuck with a person for life without improving, I had a bunch of various challenging relationships where I had to daily change and intentionally exposed myself to chatrooms, forums of socialization and roleplay.

I have a tired brain but it comes up with innovative ideas, my business teacher told me.

I can't talk about my philosophical views or alien country fashion because people rip their hair out because they are so afraid of what they've never seen before they become dangerous. And the beast I have to fear the most lives in my house and is called 'mother;' she is very intolerant. I fear of attack every time I change my outfit as she throws tantrums and tries to stop me. And then on the street it's another story because people insult, laugh, make you out to be crazy, act aggressive. But it's been years I've exposed the public every day to new stuff and it sounds like they have started to adjust. Mom has a harder time letting go as she's very barbaric. But I'm kind of bored, I've tried so many things there is little left to and it takes effort to put together.

Last edited:
I think it might be a product of hyperfocus; when we're deep into a subject and presented with another, it's like we can't really take the lens off of the subject that interests us so we start drawing parallels.

I don't think there's a 'right' or 'wrong' way of thinking, either -- people on the spectrum can have strengths in how they come up with ideas just as people who aren't. But for those borderline genius / so-called "insane" ideas, I think this is how people on the spectrum come up with them!

If you dig deep enough into any topic, you will find all sorts of associations. For example, when doing medical research on a given topic, you will find that many different disciplines (cardiology, nephrology, neurology, oncology, neonatology, etc.) may be studying the same or similar phenomenon. The interesting thing is that the disciplines rarely communicate with each other, and when you point that out to people, they are either amazed that scientists in one area of medicine have already figured out the biological pathways that may also apply to another area of medicine, or sometimes it is disregarded because the patient population isn't the same. As a respiratory therapist in the neonatal unit, part of my research over the years has been on the topic of oxygen radical production and its contributions to neonatal mortality and morbidities. Well, come to find out, the oncologists figured out all these pathways that apply to many of the common diseases that we see in all ages and all organ systems. When I pointed this out to my physician colleagues, they were rather taken back by the fact that I could come up with literally thousands of articles on a related topic, but very few were referenced in the neonatal literature, pointing out the fact that the disciplines rarely speak to each other, much to the detriment of the patient and the working knowledge of the physician.

Another example would be the topic of "fluidics", the movement of fluids and gases through conduits. Well, you can look at it from a mechanical engineering perspective, but also from the perspective of studying gas flow through the bronchial tree in the lungs, to blood flow through the heart and vascular system.

Since many autistics do have "special interests" or may get their brain focused upon something, and we can't seem to let it go, to the point of interrupting sleep. Some of those special interests or topics require a fair amount of research, it is not uncommon to find other topics associated with that special interest that may stimulate further research into other areas, leading to yet another "special interest". This is usually my routine, that is, taking a "deep dive" into a topic, only to find myself taking another "deep dive" into something that was connected to it.

I find most people tend to simply ask a question and want a short answer. Then there are others, like me, that find myself on this intellectual journey of discovery.

Yes, I have a similar experience myself. As does Elon Musk, obviously.

I recently heard someone go as far to claim that autistics are the only ones who truly care about the empirical integrity of results and for NTs, expertise / delivery is more about delivering what others want them to deliver. Hence it is much harder for them to form these connections. Almost "the image is the substance" type thing.

I tend to see some things in ways no one else had thought about. Unfortunately not everyone is able to see or accept the fact that maybe the way I see things differently opens up new possibilities and even opportunities to improve things. I remembered being bullied by classmates over me refusing to believe that forensic science was 100% accurate and never wrong. I asked the very simple question of the possibility of someone planting DNA evidence using latex gloves and tweezers and how do the scientists know it was from the perpetrator or planted by someone else and if it was possible to tell if it was planted. Everyone began to call me “stupid” and the forensic scientists speaking to us refused to acknowledge that it was a possibility. Because of that now I’m very hesitant to tell people my opinions at times.

A few days ago I found out a few days ago that I have a newly coined label which can be found with some of us spacial hyperfantasia.

I tend to see some things in ways no one else had thought about. Unfortunately not everyone is able to see or accept the fact that maybe the way I see things differently opens up new possibilities and even opportunities to improve things. I remembered being bullied by classmates over me refusing to believe that forensic science was 100% accurate and never wrong. I asked the very simple question of the possibility of someone planting DNA evidence using latex gloves and tweezers and how do the scientists know it was from the perpetrator or planted by someone else and if it was possible to tell if it was planted. Everyone began to call me “stupid” and the forensic scientists speaking to us refused to acknowledge that it was a possibility. Because of that now I’m very hesitant to tell people my opinions at times.
Your right forensic science is not really a science, got so bad here they had to change the law requiring quality testing to verify.

Your right forensic science is not really a science, got so bad here they had to change the law requiring quality testing to verify.
I asked this question back in 2001 and only one kid actually agreed with me and said that I did have a good point. People try to frame others for crimes that they didn’t commit and honestly all you need to do is take some hair and plant it at a murder scene using tweezers and gloves. Nothing is completely fool proof and people find ways around all sorts of things. Kids at my school found ways to bypass the internet blockers to get onto sites that they really shouldn’t have been on simply by using Google and specific words in the search engine that weren’t flagged by the blocker such as anatomy. And the school insisted to parents that no one could ever do that using the laptops they gave us to use for schoolwork.

Yes, I have a similar experience myself. As does Elon Musk, obviously.

I recently heard someone go as far to claim that autistics are the only ones who truly care about the empirical integrity of results and for NTs, expertise / delivery is more about delivering what others want them to deliver. Hence it is much harder for them to form these connections. Almost "the image is the substance" type thing.
The really crazy thing is how some literally think we are insane just because we what to make sure things are accurate.

Most forensic science does not have a rigorous scientific background, got so bad here the law was changed to force more rigor. I have a chemistry background lots of lab training familiar with analytical instruments, know the limits of these instruments plus later became a quality engineer. So the real life court cases drove me nuts as most lawyers and judges have no science background,

I tend to see some things in ways no one else had thought about. Unfortunately not everyone is able to see or accept the fact that maybe the way I see things differently opens up new possibilities and even opportunities to improve things. I remembered being bullied by classmates over me refusing to believe that forensic science was 100% accurate and never wrong.

You'd be correct. Far too many news stories about those charged with such responsibilities who bungled evidence beyond belief. It happens, and in some cases due to bureaucracies handing over such responsibilities to those not actually qualified to do so. Even then, with those with a proper professional background and training come with no guarantees of 100% success.

The science of determining various forms of evidence may have a very high percentage rate of accuracy, however it is a human being who still represents the weakest link in a chain of events that can determine forensic results. Autistic or not.

Though that said I'm also reminded of two dorm students we hardly ever saw given their major, which in fact was Forensic Science. At my university it was arguably considered by far the most difficult major to succeed at, particularly compared to Criminal Justice being far easier, IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom