• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's 2024

Aspergers_Aspie

It's 2024 and I had hoped that racism, disability discrimination/bullying was near enough extinct. Although of course these things shouldn't exist in the first place. But bullying whether blatant or covert does have an impact one who minds my own business and who does nothing wrong. I would help a person ie a disabled or elderly person. People are bullying in this day and age and don't accept people for who they are. It has an impact on my mental health especially when it's directed, targeted at me and is partly why I am experiencing substance abuse. Clucking noises, staring and talking about someone for no valid reason are all examples

Clucking noises, staring and talking about someone

I agree that pretty much anything can be used to antagonize someone and I sympathize with that. But is this severe bullying? Sometimes I think it's the way we internalize things that make them seem worse than they really are.

and is partly why I am experiencing substance abuse.

As someone who has dealt extensively with substance abuse, that's an awfully convenient way to put other people in control of your life. I don't think they're worthy of such power (do they even know that they have such powers?), but that's just my opinion.

Sometimes when we're working on ourselves and doing the best we can, the naysayers fall by the wayside and we can take responsibility for our own hand in whatever might be haunting us, which can go a long way toward making us more resilient when bad things genuinely do happen. Food for thought

Last edited:
When it comes to the worst of humanity and their baser instincts, I see no real change from my birth to the present day. Maybe we are all condemned to repeat the mistakes of the past after all. Regardless of whether we acknowledge our own history from one day to the next.

So many hopes that continue to be dashed.

I think people in general are more aware of the fact of and impact of bullying than in centuries past. People can be bullied for being bullies themselves.

@FilterFreq makes some good points. Hurt feelings are not the same as the harm caused by true bullying. Substance abuse begins and ends with the addict, not other people.

I'm sorry potentially, I said it in a strong emotional state. For example autistic masking is tiring sometimes especially if an aspire has to potentially worry about bullying

It's 2024 and I had hoped that racism, disability discrimination/bullying was near enough extinct. Although of course these things shouldn't exist in the first place. But bullying whether blatant or covert does have an impact one who minds my own business and who does nothing wrong. I would help a person ie a disabled or elderly person. People are bullying in this day and age and don't accept people for who they are. It has an impact on my mental health especially when it's directed, targeted at me and is partly why I am experiencing substance abuse. Clucking noises, staring and talking about someone for no valid reason are all examples
At no point can we be expect to change human nature. Discrimination, racism, tribalism is part of the human condition. How we deal with it is sort of like the weather. We can't control the weather, but we can prepare by dressing appropriately. Life moves on and we've got things to do.

Sure, authoritarians can compel speech, we can make laws, we can even have social justice movements to dissuade people, but we cannot compel thoughts and feelings, only words and actions. If we want to live in a free society, then make no mistake, we must have the mental tools and strength to deal with these people.

I have never been bullied, had a substance abuse issue, basically controlled my own life. I have always been good at planning Found out the hard way you cannot plan promotions, not some thing I could control.

Freedom should not be equated with mockery upon disability.

"Poking" fun is intrusive by definition and should not be made a lifestyle out of, instead of the processing of internal emotions.

Fun can be had recklessly and responsibly. If ppl need to get a bad reaction from others for the sole purpose of having fun it only shows how mature their thinking is and how much consideration they have for other people.

It's not just me, some of my friends at the autism charity I'm registered with have suffered bullying. It's a hate crime. Also if someone tries to provoke the wrong person they could end up getting hurt, part of me would love to kick ass on those bullies but I am bigger than that

Freedom should not be equated with mockery upon disability.

Agreed. Though such interpretations differ from one society to another.

In our society (USA), mockery alone does not rise to the legal standard of "creating an imminent, lawless act" required to establish a breach of "free speech". When people can be pretty awful and get away with it.

Equally with our hate crime statutes whether state of federal, they require an established physical injury in order to pursue any prosecution. While the disabled have rights under our "Americans With Disability Act" (ADA), they provide no such protections against mindless prejudice.

While Britain's hate crime statutes appear to be less restrictive in comparison, it still requires a decision on the part of the state whether or not to prosecute such incidents. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Last edited:
I am trying to keep my alcohol intake in moderation. As well as autistic masking, I find a need to fit in in a bar so I won't read a newspaper sometimes, or and this is very problematic! I won't count out my random password from my bank. I know that people non autistic too have to remember things on their fingers

The nurse administrators around here assume that everyone has a family to support a patient and a car as fast as an ambulance, and can be scheduled like a badly managed restaurant worker. Anyone who can't keep up is treated as willfully rebellious, and in need of bullying to enforce conformity.

New Threads

Top Bottom