• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've been doing miniature painting as a hobby, but the reactions I get to my projects is making me want to quit.

Ya Boi

I've been painting miniatures since high school when I first got into Warhammer 40k. I don't put as much effort or money into it as other people, I started off using paints from Michaels and I only recently switched to Vallejo, but I still felt like I could make some good models.

A while back I posted some Sisters of Battle models I painted to resemble characters from Touhou Project in the Touhou subreddit. I was nervous about posting it but I was hoping people would like it. However, the only comment I got after an hour was "Thin your paints. For the sake of your minis, thin your paints." For context, thinning your paints is when you use water to dilute the paint to make it less thick. So in a way, he was saying my minis were painted badly. This hurt not only because of that, but because I did try to thin my paints, but I knew that if I said that it would only make things worse. So I deleted the post soon after. I admit they may not have been the best since I used paints from Michaels and the photos I took didn't look the best, but I still hurt having that be the first comment.

Recently I tried posting some Helldiver miniatures I got to the Helldivers subreddit. These guys were painted with Vallejo paint, which is a popular brand for miniature painting, and I thinned my paints the best I could. However, after a day it only got 36 upvotes and half of the 5 comments were people telling me to thin my paints. The others were me saying where I got the models from, a bot response, and some guy saying either he or I could make a living selling them on eBay (I really don't know what he was saying). This stung even harder since it felt like I was doing what I needed to do and it still wasn't good enough. One of the negative comments did say they still looked cool, but it didn't make me feel better, so I deleted that post as well.

Now I'm not sure what to do. It feels like every time I try to share my models I get **** on and get told they aren't good. The worst part is that those posts weren't even in miniature painting subreddits. I'm trying to improve my painting skills, I'm learning how to use washes and started using a homemade wet pallet, but I feel doubtful that anythings going to improve. I also feel like I'm not doing things right. Today I tried to thin my paints like how the people in the YouTube tutorials do it, but it felt like the paint didn't come out as well. So now I'm stuck feeling like I'm not good enough and nothing I do will come out good.

I'm really not sure what to do. I want to paint, but it feels pointless if no one can see what I make or if whenever I show off what I make I get **** on.

I would have expected you needed to use paint thinner rather than water. Are they latex paints?

Are you doing this for your own enjoyment, or as a way to make income. If enjoyment, then what other people think is worthless. If to make money, then do some more research on how much to thin, brush technique, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom