• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Kay this is kind of a rant, but I'd like some advice

Withnail88

I am so sick of my situation, and I know vent won't do anything. Above all, I'm kinda just looking for help and support.
I moved back home after the last spring semester. I am 23, have maybe $30 to my name, and have to pay off student loans soon. It's tough enough finding a job and making enough to move out/acquire car without Aspergers. I've posted earlier, and people seemed to share my concern, that job interviews are pretty much hell cuz I have some nervous ticks/don't know what is apropriate to say. The job hunt has been very bleak for months, I owe thousands and have less than $50 to my name. It's confounded by the fact that my parents will not help m with any of this and the social worker has encouraged thm not to. If I can get general disability assistance, then I can get about $200 a month from the county, but that is far from enough to take care of my problems. It's not as though I haven't been trying to find work. It's just that interviews are hell. I have a gol to be out by the time I'm 25 and I'm scared that I won't be able to meet it. I miss my college friends. I have no peers in town. All the smart ones got the hell out so I'm lonesome.
I'm just scared for my future . . . :(
My mom thinks it's a good idea to follow me to work force and applying for disability because I can't articulate my concerns very well, so she goes with me there and it's kind of embarrassing. I think I do need her help, but I don't want it because it makes me feel like a little kid, y'know?
Anyone is or has been in a similar jam can help? I just wanna move out and I know I'm not ready and don't have the money, but I don't wanna feel small and incapable.
Anyone know what I am saying?

In a way, it sounds like my situation. Just I'm not to, well, for lack of better word, depressed, about it. Don't get it the wrong way I used that word, ok?

So on to some "advice" or "caring words". If you genuinely feel that you have a problem getting employed, I don't see how "not asking for outside assistance" will be wrong. You state that you're having a problem with interviews and all, can't get employed. Having disability and that all, might even benefit you (though I don't exactly know how it goes down in your area). It might open doors, to find employment in places, where they actually could use people like you. You might not even be aware of that. I could say "don't be hard on yourself", but that's a bad thing to say to people on the spectrum... it's not as if their doing it willingly... you know what I mean, I guess. But you might just think about the posibilities it gives you. Don't push yourself to hard wanting to move out at 25. In the end you'll get disillusioned if you don't make it because of what life throws at you. Try to do it step by step, apply for disability, see if that gives you more outlooks on where to go. See how the entire stuff with student loans works. See how much money you can save, think about the minimum you need to move out, stuff like that. List it down.

Think about "bigger" goals... is there anything you want to do with your future, besides moving out? Any hobbies or interests you might be good at? Get better at those, try to enjoy those. Don't focus on the money. I'm in pretty much the same situation, and I'm almost 29. I still live with my parents, I've had my share of financial problems (which is why I still live here), amongst other things. I just kept on doing what I was doing, because no matter what, even if I worry each day about money, in my situation, even though I'm collecting welfare now, money isn't appearing over night. And waiting day by day to see an option (rather than a solution) come by, will get you up to the point to depression, with a single day at it's peak... the day money comes in.

Focus on what you're doing or what you like doing, instead of money and the future in general. I know it's hard and/or difficult, but just think about it.

If I sounded harsh anywhere... excuse me, wasn't intended to.

I am so sick of my situation, and I know vent won't do anything. Above all, I'm kinda just looking for help and support.
I moved back home after the last spring semester. I am 23, have maybe $30 to my name, and have to pay off student loans soon. It's tough enough finding a job and making enough to move out/acquire car without Aspergers. I've posted earlier, and people seemed to share my concern, that job interviews are pretty much hell cuz I have some nervous ticks/don't know what is apropriate to say. The job hunt has been very bleak for months, I owe thousands and have less than $50 to my name. It's confounded by the fact that my parents will not help m with any of this and the social worker has encouraged thm not to. If I can get general disability assistance, then I can get about $200 a month from the county, but that is far from enough to take care of my problems. It's not as though I haven't been trying to find work. It's just that interviews are hell. I have a gol to be out by the time I'm 25 and I'm scared that I won't be able to meet it. I miss my college friends. I have no peers in town. All the smart ones got the hell out so I'm lonesome.
I'm just scared for my future . . . :(
My mom thinks it's a good idea to follow me to work force and applying for disability because I can't articulate my concerns very well, so she goes with me there and it's kind of embarrassing. I think I do need her help, but I don't want it because it makes me feel like a little kid, y'know?
Anyone is or has been in a similar jam can help? I just wanna move out and I know I'm not ready and don't have the money, but I don't wanna feel small and incapable.
Anyone know what I am saying?

Hi. Haven't seen you for a while. As for accepting help from your mom - if you need it, I think you should take it. it has nothing to do with being "little kid"... even though I do get it, I've been there.
here's a link of your local Easter Seals branch (that's the organization that's been helping me and through which I've got diagnosed). I believe it's about 30 minutes away from your place plus minus, because I don't know where you live exactly.

www.goodwilleasterseals.org: Homepage

check out their website, maybe you get some ideas. Or you can just contact them and see if they can help you or advise you what to do. This branch is a little different from Chicago one but I would mention Aspergers challenges as your barriers, they will most likely direct you to the right place.

to compare here's the Chicago link as well

Easter Seals Metropolitan Chicago : Services for Children and Adults with Disabilities and Special Needs

Just don't give up. I know how damn hard it is to make it on your own for so many people on the spectrum, but with some perseverance it's possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom