• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life…that is all

Dillon

I did a previous post the other week about my health and I found out some answers after going for a MRI brain scan.
It turns out I have early stages of glaucoma and hypertensive retinopathy (narrowing of the blood vessels in both eyes of the optic nerve). The MRI scan showed some narrow of the optic nerves connecting my eye to the frontal lobe of my brain especially on my right eye where my vision is crummy as texts/words look smashed together and I can’t make out peoples faces that well; my left eye compensates for my right eye at least.
Because of all of this I am now on blood pressure medication to control the high blood pressure/hypertension in my eyes. My blood pressure is usually in the low teens and pretty good but having high blood pressure in my eyes I didn’t think could happen in isolation. If anyone has been on blood pressure medication hat were your experiences? I someone in their 20s is quite young to be taking this kind of medication.

Along with this I have also been referred to see a speech pathologist as my primary care doctor believes I may have early onset of aphasia where I can speak but and language processes go blank and I’m having to search or scan for the right words and/or phrases leaving me in awkward pauses when I’m talking to people. I thought that was a autistic thing all along or maybe my speech deterioration is gradually coming along with age?

So yeah along with my health issues I am still looking for a job…2 months later since being let go from my other job. I am currently back in school going for a geoscience data management degree where I’m hoping that will open various doors in my employment prospects.

At least now, you have answers to understanding your heath issues, but l am amazed how quickly you were diagnosed . Eventually our bodies just go downhill. You sound logical and prepared to deal with this and move forward. But this forum will support you always

As a medical professional, my next investigation would be to find out the underlying cause of the hypertension. So far, all you've done with the medication is treat the symptom. Now, find the problem. Something genetic? Angiotensin converting enzyme? Elevated catecholamines? Adrenal glands? Other?

Not sure it will help but I have been on blood pressure meds for 12 years or so without any issues coming of it as far as I know. Also had first long term medical problems start up in mid 20's but still kicking. Early medical issues might be something of a tendency with ASD.

As a medical professional, my next investigation would be to find out the underlying cause of the hypertension. So far, all you've done with the medication is treat the symptom. Now, find the problem. Something genetic? Angiotensin converting enzyme? Elevated catecholamines? Adrenal glands? Other?
That’s the thing my ophthalmologist won’t dig into as to why I have hypertension but rather tells me to wait it out until it progresses then treatment will start…so we just want to wait until I go blind??
The only thing I know is that in my fathers side of the family has cardiovascular disease with hypertension but my father drinks I don’t.

MRI showed no brain lesions, no tumors no abnormalities etc which is great but doesn’t quite explain why I am having increased poor judgment with depression and anxiety a bit more often. I’m getting brain fog more than I should in the fact it’s impeding portions of my life.

Has anyone tested for dementia?
Nope, no one has been tested nor does anyone in my family has any signs of dementia.
I know of some published peer reviewed articles that some people with glaucoma have an increased risk of dementia.

Hypertension in the eyes is usually treated with eye drops of the beta blocker. Hypertension in the eyes is caused by the build up of eye ball fluid.

I have been on anti-hypertensives for 30 years. The reason for my high blood pressure is not known. I’ve not had any problems with the medications.

Speech processing delays are not uncommon for autists. The speech therapist will do an evaluation and develop a treatment plan.

When there are a lot of symptoms presenting at one time, the most obvious or most dangerous are treated first and when those are resolved, you can start on the others.

It is frustrating and time consuming. Been through the process many times. Currently in the middle of another stretch. Patience and “just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.”

I have seen articles that mention hypertension and dementia as well. I hope it is not but I think it needs to be looked into.

Blood pressure meds give me positional hypotension. That means if I stand up too quickly, I feel faint. It also happens when I'm working hard, and then I stop. (It isn't for high blood pressure but that's the side effect.) I'm normally 110/65 +/-5. With the meds I'm down to 90/55 or less.

That’s the thing my ophthalmologist won’t dig into as to why I have hypertension but rather tells me to wait it out until it progresses then treatment will start…so we just want to wait until I go blind??
The only thing I know is that in my fathers side of the family has cardiovascular disease with hypertension but my father drinks I don’t.

MRI showed no brain lesions, no tumors no abnormalities etc which is great but doesn’t quite explain why I am having increased poor judgment with depression and anxiety a bit more often. I’m getting brain fog more than I should in the fact it’s impeding portions of my life.
There may be a rule or policy that it has to get to a certain point before treatment can be considered.

New Threads

Top Bottom