• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Listened to my voice on a recording

Zain

Honestly, I feel very unsettled. I was like "Is this really what I've sounded like my entire life?". I thought that I sounded 'normal', but I sound awful, very off-putting and nasally. I feel like never speaking again. In the next few hours, whenever I've had to use my voice, I've been very quiet and gave only one word answers. My confidence has taken a huge blow.
I don't really know what I'm asking for here. Any input would be appreciated - surely someone can relate and give advice.

All people hate the sound of their own voice when it's played back to them because what they hear inside their own head while speaking is very different. I've been regularly complimented on my voice all my life and a lot of people like my accent too but when I hear it played back to me I don't like it at all.

Yep, I've never liked the sound of my own voice played back. Never thought it sounded like what I actually hear. Go figure...:oops:

All people hate the sound of their own voice when it's played back to them because what they hear inside their own head while speaking is very different. I've been regularly complimented on my voice all my life and a lot of people like my accent too but when I hear it played back to me I don't like it at all.
I don't know. There must be some truth to it since I can hear I sound nasally.

No. But recently my sister ended up telling me that she felt embarrassed to be around me, and we're not close at all anymore. This issue links with that event.
You should really ask your sister why she thinks that, instead of overthinking and trying to find some flaws, where there is none.

I too, cannot stand the sound of my own voice. It truly is a common feeling. I have had complements on my voice before, which are always odd to hear. I find my voice higher and more nasal in recordings also.
I have recently been recording short stories, on request, for a love interest that seems to really like my voice. I cannot listen to them before sending because to me it sounds totally cringe.
I would recommend not thinking too much about your voice, it’s probably fine. If you are a man, try to speak from your chest instead of throat, if your voice bothers you.

New Threads

Top Bottom