• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Marquette and cycling.

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
Started and ended a 20 mile bike trip here at the site of Father Jacques Marquette's death in 1675, here along Betsie bay. He was an early explorer of the Great Lakes.
20240607_094116.jpg

Last edited:
Started and ended a 20 mile bike trip here at the site of Father Jacques Marquette's death in 1675, here along Betsie bay. He was an early explorer of the Great Lakes.View attachment 130853
That whole area is beautiful. For a rather small community, Marquette has some very nice parks, scenic areas, good food, etc. We spent a full day there last summer, part of a much larger trip into the Upper Peninsula. In fact, I would suggest pretty much the whole of the Lake Superior shoreline, even into Canada is worth a trip. A "loop tour" of the entire Lake Superior is on my "bucket list". So much to see and do.

That whole area is beautiful. For a rather small community, Marquette has some very nice parks, scenic areas, good food, etc. We spent a full day there last summer, part of a much larger trip into the Upper Peninsula. In fact, I would suggest pretty much the whole of the Lake Superior shoreline, even into Canada is worth a trip. A "loop tour" of the entire Lake Superior is on my "bucket list". So much to see and do.
The shores of gitche gumee are amazing. I have been as far as the Gunflint trail in Minnesota and to Sault Ste. Marie in Ontrario. And, in 1973 I took the Canadian Pacific train from Toronto to Vancouver. It hugged the cliffs above the North Shore of Superior to or from Thunder Bay. I think that part of the line has now been abandoned. What a shame.

Isle Royale is the best. Almost nobody there, spectacular scenery, wild moose and wolves. You either take a boat or a seaplane.

Some of my best memories of Minnesota are our vacations by the lakes. We stay at a out of the way place, it was heavenly. It was also the first time l skated on ice on a lake. You would hear distinct cracking but yet it was safe to skate on.

Marquette, MI is home to some of the oldest rock on planet Earth if I recall correctly. It's also a geologic area that, according to some journal entries of mine explorers of the 1800's is home to a certain type of mica schist that is superior in fineness to the best natural sharpening stones of the day. But it's never been mined as such. The famed "Arkansas Stone" would be easily supplanted by the Michigan stone for sharpening steel.

The shores of gitche gumee are amazing. I have been as far as the Gunflint trail in Minnesota and to Sault Ste. Marie in Ontrario. And, in 1973 I took the Canadian Pacific train from Toronto to Vancouver. It hugged the cliffs above the North Shore of Superior to or from Thunder Bay. I think that part of the line has now been abandoned. What a shame.
Maybe they turned it into some kind of trail. The US has rails to trails programs, why not Canada?

New Threads

Top Bottom