• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medical Complications

Lizybeth

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member. I just joined a little while ago after seeing Willow's videos on Youtube. I am an Aspie girl. I was just diagnosed a few weeks before my 27th birthday. I'm very grateful to be officially diagnosed. It explains so much. However, I know it will take a little getting used to this new way of life. It's like I have to "relearn" so many things. I'll have to put a picture up, and thorougly introduce myself a little later. This is my first post.

I had a question. I have had a lot medical problems due to stress. I'm hoping this will decline as I learn how to manage my AS, but I was wondering if anyone else had any health problems that seem to go with the AS. Mine seem to be anxiety based, like panic attacks. I was a pretty healthy child, but since college I've been having more and more health issues, like weight gain, sensitivities to cold weather, catching colds, and other types of infections.

Thanks very much!

First of all, hi there and welcome to Aspergic. :) :wave:

It's good to hear your diagnosis has explained a lot of things for you, I'm very much in the same boat in that sense - I was diagnosed a week or so ago.

Personally I've always been in great shape in terms of health so I can't really give you a useful answer, though Willow might have a bit to say on the matter if she reads this later. :) :thumbsup:

Thats funny, I'm sure i've seen your username somewhere else. Have you been on other aspie sites?

But yeah, stress will ware you down, and it seems to mess things up physically too.

I don't have any medical problems except stress and a bad sleeping pattern. I don't know whether that's related to my AS or not. It could be. I'm also very sensitive to sudden loud noises and i'm a fusspot when it comes to eating. Other than that i'm in good health.

Calvert, my sleep patterns are all over the place and always have been. Especially if I don't have a lot of structure in my life, like now (not working, waiting for a project to kick off).

When I was younger my shoulders were hyperflexible, and this is most likely due to dyspraxia (which is a common comorbid condition). It was great back then because I could do all sorts of "party tricks" involving my arms. These days though my shoulders are very sensitive to injuries and I have to be careful. I suspect that the ligaments etc are excessively loose and weak. Meh!

Stress leads to depression and one or two health issues for me. It is really strange, I've been in situations where I've told my boss/es that I am overworked and stressed out and I need a break or some support. And they don't believe me because I always seem really relaxed, so they keep piling it on me until I shut down completely.

Thanks, everyone. Glad to know I'm not alone. I just saw a similar post about medical stuff, so I'll read that too.

Chris, congrats on your diagnosis!

New Threads

Top Bottom