• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mind separate from Body (Mind-Body Dualism)

Something I was suddenly interested in because of going though a challenging and self-evolving time. I was sitting, I touched the back of my neck, head, and ear. And I felt separate. I immediately thought, this poor human, I want to take care of them. My mentality gets in the way of socializing, but I know this person would feel fulfilled if they did. And I've continued to think this way and I feel like it's helped me.

I found a scientific article about it that interestingly mentioned autism. I don't understand scientific literature well whatsoever, basically it was talking about the idea that males are more likely to see mind and body as one. *shrugs*

I just thought it would be interesting to talk about.

Rant about myself;

I've always been extremely quiet, rich inner world, as many autistics. I talk to myself all the time, inside and out loud. Also, as many autistics, I am more in my mind and feel less sensation of hunger, thirst, pain, or realization that something is stressing me out until my mind happens to catch up. I have strong emotions yet I am great at not expressing them until they've passed though my mind and rational thinking. I guess what I'm getting at is that, I feel like my mind aspect is so dominant I could become a cloud with the possibility of not noticing. So I've possibly neglected myself and certain needs. Perhaps all that is why I love grounding things; animals, food, tea, nature, smells, rocks, most my favorite things and I don't like over complication.

Article Mentioned: The illusion of the mind–body divide is attenuated in males - Scientific Reports

It seems as though most articles state problems with the mind-body separation idea. I can understand some points such as vitamin deficiencies and other physical illnesses affecting the mind.

Well, I am not thinking this separation is actually a bad thing and may have something to do with our ancestry. Males were often the ones putting themselves in physical harm whether it be hunting prey, exposing themselves to predators and harsh weather, and even hand-to-hand combat, weapons or not. In which case, it was advantageous to separate mind and body, to ignore pain and suffering. Military training, martial arts, high-level athletics, etc. often focuses upon this aspect. How much can you take and keep moving forward? Even the ability to simply focus in on a task for long periods of time and say, not experience hunger, perhaps skipping meals is not a bad thing if it only happens once in a while. It's not uncommon for men to simply ignore how they feel if they have responsibilities to their family. "I have mouths to feed and bills to pay. I hate my job. It's a means to an end. Feelings don't matter when you have responsibilities."

If people allowed their feelings dictate their actions, then human society as we know it would probably collapse into chaos.

If people allowed their feelings dictate their actions, then human society as we know it would probably collapse into chaos.
We're already there. Most people do seem to let their feelings dictate their actions.

Last edited:
CS Lewis, for what little good it'll do:

Humans are amphibians...half spirit and half animal...as spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time. This means that while their spirit can be directed to an eternal object, their bodies, passions, and imaginations are in continual change, for to be in time, means to change. Their nearest approach to constancy, therefore, is undulation--the repeated return to a level from which they repeatedly fall back, a series of troughs and peaks.

New Threads

Top Bottom