• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mindfulness

Jonn

V.I.P Member

What is mindfulness?​

Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you're sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.

Spending too much time planning, problem-solving, daydreaming, or thinking negative or random thoughts can be draining. It can also make you more likely to experience stress, anxiety and symptoms of depression. Practicing mindfulness exercises can help you direct your attention away from this kind of thinking and engage with the world around you.

Can mindfulness exercises help me?

How the Pursuit of Pleasure Can Ruin Our Lives | Aldous Huxley and Modern Slavery​

the relentless pursuit of pleasure can become a trap that distances us from true happiness. inspired by aldous huxley’s work, *brave new world*, we realize how modern society encourages us to seek immediate gratification, whether through social media, consumerism, or addictions. this "freedom" we believe we have is, in fact, an illusion, as many of our desires are shaped by external stimuli.goethe reminds us that "no one is more irretrievably enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." when we are distracted by momentary pleasures, we set aside what truly matters: our relationships, personal growth, and life purpose. furthermore, the system benefits from this distraction, keeping us compliant and passive.to break this cycle, it is essential to develop critical awareness and practice mindfulness, investing in deep values and meaningful goals. by regaining control over our choices, we can finally live a more balanced and fulfilling life.

I think about the whole practice of Lectio Divina used by the early Christian mystics to get in touch with the mysteries. I love the whole practice of taking ahold of a word and internalizing it, but there are terrible problems with the tradition it came from.

What are some examples of mindfulness exercises?​

There are many simple ways to practice mindfulness. Some examples include:

• Pay attention. It's hard to slow down and notice things in a busy world. Try to take the time to experience your environment with all of your senses — touch, sound, sight, smell and taste. For example, when you eat a favorite food, take the time to smell, taste and truly enjoy it.
  • Live in the moment. Try to intentionally bring an open, accepting and discerning attention to everything you do. Find joy in simple pleasures.
  • Accept yourself. Treat yourself the way you would treat a good friend.
  • Focus on your breathing. When you have negative thoughts, try to sit down, take a deep breath and close your eyes. Focus on your breath as it moves in and out of your body. Sitting and breathing for even just a minute can help.
I have focused on "mindfulness" for a reasonable amount of time, now.
"When you are eating an apple, focus on eating the apple."
Time to put many of the "Shiny Things" away to gain inner calm.
Time to take control of the thinking process rather than the thinking process taking control of me.

However, it is a constant battle.
I wonder if it will ever be as easy as breathing.
Time will tell. :cool:

What is mindfulness?​

Mindfulness is a type of meditation in which you focus on being intensely aware of what you're sensing and feeling in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. Practicing mindfulness involves breathing methods, guided imagery, and other practices to relax the body and mind and help reduce stress.

Spending too much time planning, problem-solving, daydreaming, or thinking negative or random thoughts can be draining. It can also make you more likely to experience stress, anxiety and symptoms of depression. Practicing mindfulness exercises can help you direct your attention away from this kind of thinking and engage with the world around you.

I can't speak highly enough of mindfulness both from a meditation standpoint and just as a general way of being. I'm not always successful but I try to practice mindfulness in my day to day routines as much as possible. And as an alcoholic with a year of sobriety I can tell you I wouldn't have gotten this far without the meditation. It really did open up a new world for me, one where I could learn to sit with myself and not be against myself, just simply be in that moment.

New Threads

Top Bottom