• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misdiagnosed as schizophrenic

Michael Pollack

I was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic at 17 by a psychiatrist who wanted to lock me up in a mental hospital and did. I have never hallucinated and I live in a powerful shell I can't penetrate. I have been on Risperdal for the last 25 years and have had horrible paranoid delusions which ended a month ago when I stopped the drug. My consciousness is fixated on food and eating which I liberate gradually by fasting every other day. I feel so much better mentally now except that I can't connect with people and myself at the same time or make eye contact. I spend my time reading and doing math problems. I am a pescovegetarian and just turned 72. The problem is my partner and nurse practitioner think I am schizophrenic and need to be on meds. Has anyone had an experience like this who could give advice and tell me what they did?

Before I found out that I was on the spectrum I was counselled at a place where I found out was for young people who were at risk of becoming schizophrenic and while I wasn’t diagnosed I did get misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder by a psychiatrist.

It wasn’t until I was 31 that I found out that I am on the spectrum along with Complex PTSD and a anxiety disorder.

If you believe that there may have been a misdiagnosis it’s best to try to find a doctor who has knowledge about autism and I really hope you can find answers because it can bring some peace into your life.

I agree with the others, best to seek another opinion.

The only thing I'd like to add is that I'm close with two people that have DID. One was put on an anti-psychotic right away and had to stop taking it to start to get better --- they were being so sedated by it that they'd wake up unable to move for hours. Once they got off of the med and started engaging with the voices/other personalities things improved dramatically. The other is on an anti-psychotic to control their hallucinations and after taking a few months off to work on therapy is able to hold a full-time job. The point is that even within the same disorder whether a particular type of med is appropriate varies. If you're feeling better without it, I think you need to work with a professional to rethink what you're doing, including what the goal is. Do you have a social worker or therapist that you see? In my personal experience, they tend to be better than people that write prescriptions about being open-minded about needs.

Welkome to the forums :)

Stop taking ANY meds cold turkey without the consultation with the docs is NEVER a good idea. So i strongly suggest you contact youre doctor so that the too of you can go on from there. its no secret that this cind of meds sometimes sadly do have some nasty side effects im afraid . And also just because you might feel youre doing better its Also vital you listen to youre closest family and friends as they are able to see how youre behavior improves or not.

Just because you have Schizophrenia DONT rule out you might also have ASD = Autistic Spectrum diagnose so if you suspect you have this then do contact the docs and ask for a evaluation

I was Misdiagnosed with psychosis first when I was in Camhs and then schizophrenia when I first went to adult mental health services before my psychiatrist realised I had Asperger's and was diagnosed by him. Although I'm not to sure if it was my psychiatrist who assessed me for Asperger's or if it was my "Autism support program" who assessed me and diagnosed me, but my psychiatrist said to my mum "I believe she's on the Spectrum".

I was also misdiagnosed with Antisocial personality disorder and narcissistic personality disorder by a psychologist. Which personality disorders are also conditions you can be misdiagnosed with as well.

I'm also starting an Autism support program at the start of this September.

I was misdiagnosed with BPD the last time I was with a therapist and I think it was because I had become very good at masking that the therapist just saw what I showed them.

I had other misdiagnoses: ADHD (probably I have both, but autism symptoms were being attributed to ADHD), depression, anxiety (these are also true, but also symptoms of autism were being attributed to them like avoiding loud parties and feeling like staying home and queting down often), went to therapy and therapists mistook various kinds of overwhelm for past experiences and "attitude", when I just can't process certain things. I was being suspected of schizophrenia, because of seeming spaced out when I'm exhausted (lacks in nonverbal communication).

Another good reason not to get diagnosed.
It is worth it to get diagnosed tho. Because I got diagnosed I get to access autism supports, for example I'm going to start to attend an "Autism support program". But I understand where your coming from, when you don't have the right mental heath services that doesn't know about Autism and have knowledge about the condition your better off not attending mental heath services at all.

I never had any reason to get diagnosed lived most of my life just being myself. managed to diagnose myself
which fortunately did what many do I found myself, even figured out who my older brother was explained his strange behavior, He has now passed and I am retired. my third cousin the psychiatrist, never did figure out my brother was on the spectrum. 40 years ago, not a thing then. Also have a younger brother on the spectrum his wife a teacher caught on when she took a seminar on how to detect students. I told her I already knew. His special interest
is the stock market gives me excellent financial advice.

Last edited:
I never had any reason to get diagnosed lived most of my life just being myself. managed to diagnose myself
which fortunately did what many do I found myself, even figured out who my older brother was explained his strange behavior, He has now passed and I am retired. my second cousin the psychiatrist, never did figure out my brother was on the spectrum. 40 years ago, not a thing then.
Oh OK I see. I need help with my meltdowns, social skills and emotional dysregulation ,that's why i got diagnosed and thats why I'm attending an autism day service.

Everybody has their own reasons. I fortunately never had any issues, My older brother was unable to hold a job after his mental issue diagnosis. Too late to help him now, My younger brother was exceptional performer at any position he retired mid-fifties. whiz at electronics and mechanics. He is a real loner never seen him have a friendship, other then myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom