• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom of a 4-year-old with high-functioning autism. We are new to the group!

Rblom

Hello all, my name is Racheal and my 4-year-old was diagnosed a year ago with high-functioning autism. We noticed he was delayed in speech and he wasn't a very social baby. He has several sensory issues and has major sleeping problems. He was mostly nonverbal however with speech therapy he has come a long way and talks a lot but rarely makes sense. He attends a daycare where he has developed a great deal of speech and behaviors. He struggles with noise and has ear muffs for that. He hates socks and shoes. However he's very smart and right on track educationaly. He still has not been potty trained but has started to take interest in it. We just started a new med for sleep so fingers crossed that helps. Anyway nice to meet you all and im glad to be a part of a support group as I know I need it often!

Hello and welcome, @Rblom.

It sounds like you are solving problems as you go and that your son is responding well to some of the ways that you've tried to support him. I hope the potty training goes well - some parents have had a challenge there, but as with most things, probably some perseverance, patience and creativity, will get you there.

@Rblom , welcome. :)

Don't hesitate to ask for advice. Most of us are adults, that obviously, were once children, and we've been through a lot. So, plenty of lived experience to tap into here.

Welcome. My child, like me, does not seem to feel fatigue until it is at a breaking point. He was getting 5 hours of sleep a night from a very young age on. His pediatrician suggested 1mg melatonin 1 hour before bed, and that has helped a lot. The increased sleep seems to have calmed down a lot of his hyperactivity. You might want to ask your pediatrician about that.

1726669319814.png

Welcome! This is a great place to get help.

I bribed my three kids with M&Ms when I potty trained them. The two girls were trained after a few weeks but my son took longer. I'm sure the "experts" would frown on bribing a kid to use the toilet, but it worked for me and may work for you, too. It's worth a try.

yup, believe in the candy t method for potty training, and then it's a habit without the candy. l had one mom tell me the cheerio cereal way for boys, drop cheerios in toilet, and tell them to aim at the little inner tubes.:)

I bribed my three kids with M&Ms when I potty trained them. The two girls were trained after a few weeks but my son took longer. I'm sure the "experts" would frown on bribing a kid to use the toilet, but it worked for me and may work for you, too. It's worth a try.

If you call it positive reinforcement it sounds more scientific.

Tokens. Rewards.
All that B. F. Skinner stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom