• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mom of an Aspie Toddler

Mariette

Mom of Aspie
Hi everyone!

I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I hope I will be welcomed here, even though I am unsure of whether I really belong. Let me explain.

My son, now four years old, have been showing some unsusual behaviour more or less for the past two years now. Little things that could easily be written off as "he's just strong-minded" or "tired children are prone to tantrums" or "all children develop at their own pace, he'll start speaking in sentences soon enough".
But I started to suspect that there could be an underlying "something" that is the cause of all of these things. I suspected something like Aspergers and when I start to read up on it, so many symptoms matched up! But there are also some major symptoms described by the websites that my son doesn't have. He is highly functional and to anyone who meets him, he appears very "normal", but there are still those small things that we know about and the outside world only catch glimpes of.

So I mentioned this to his pediatrician during his last visit, and he recommended an "Asperger's Screening Test" with a vocational therapist and speech therapist. After this screening test, they told me that he does "fall into the Aspergers profile", but that because he is so highly functional, they don't recommend a formal diagnosis, because that woudl "just put a label on him". But they do recommend starting with therapy right away to rectify where he has fallen behind on his development.

At this time, registering on this site, I am now waiting for my next appointment at the pediatrician after he has evaluated their report and then we will decide on a way forward.
I am glad that my son is highly functional and without a formal diagnosis, I don't even know if he would really be on the spectrum at all, but I do know that he exhibits some of the same symptoms.

So therefore I am in a tricky situation. My child is a borderline case, which makes it very difficult to distinguish when he is just "being naughty" and when he is becoming hysterical about something because he just can't help it.
I will be posting my questions, because I have a lot to ask!

Welcome! You are among friends. Many here are parents, and many here can relate to your son. Getting a formal diagnosis entitles you and your son to services, supports, and accommodations. It gives you, the parent, a voice in situations where you'll need it. You have the right to any ASD-related accommodations you may need for him in school.

As teachers and peers note his differences, he will have a label anyway, but this way, it can be one that grants him really great supports.
And, a label he can be proud of, as nowadays, ASD is viewed as strengths-based :) as well as by its challenges.
Without a label, we can be judged. With a label, we can be supported.

You will find a support system here. Please feel welcome at AC! :rose:

Hi and welcome
No worries about 'belonging'. The forum is open to people with or associated with autism in any fashion. Hope you can get some useful info here.

New Threads

Top Bottom