• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multiple Possible Arson Fires Near My Home

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Yesterday and today, I've seen multiple news articles about fires along the riverfront in my city. Different spots not just ignited, but with roaring blazes that take all day to battle. Yesterdays involved propane tanks. Today there's at least two blazes on different spots on the waterfront near me. And two islands in the river on fire as well.

It has to be arson. The spots are all known homeless campsites.

Then this evening I saw a report of a fire that mysteriously broke out in the brush along a freeway on the opposite side of where I live.

I have been hacking with this rough cough the last few days from the smoke in the air. Yesterday the air was so thick, it was nearly chewy. My asthmatic daughter had a hard time too.

I am safe. But I am having bad adrenaline from this. I know it's some arsonist criddler. Someone all methed out and psychotic, lighting fires.

My city has multiple rivers that flow through it. There are some homeless who live full time on sailboats out in the river. Like pirates sort of. I think maybe one of them is starting the fires. Because we have big islands ablaze.

I am on the outside very calm. I watched a movie (La Bamba) with my daughter. But on the inside, It's the mid 1980s again, and I'm a little girl, alone as usual, out in the desert.

Nothing scares me more than wildfire. I was a small child alone in the desert as fire raced down the mountain toward me. My parents were about twenty miles away in town.

I was playing outside barefoot. I looked out past the garden and up the hill. I saw the flames behind different ridge lines. The black smoke. I was confused. What was that red and black moving towards me like a monster? I felt a sickening feeling from head to toe. I didn't understand what was going on. I stood there, paralyzed. I blacked out. I don't know how long I stood there.

My next memory is being shook violently and slapped because I wouldn't move or acknowledge anyone. I sort of woke up a little. I then remember being inside my grandma's house. But repeatedly blacking out and being shaken awake.

The mountain we lived on, east of town, was the biggest around. My parents and grandparents had separately, from wherever they were, seen the location of the smoke. They had raced home.

The fire raged as my father and grandfather plowed deep fire lines around the property. We had a very long driveway. I was ordered to play out by the road, even with the smoke in the air, so that the fire dept would know that the trailers on this parcel was occupied, and there were children present. That way they wouldn't let it burn.

There are quite a few empty trailers out in the boonies. Often when someone builds a house, they'll tow their trailer off and leave it in a gully or if the folks get old or move out, same thing. My family wanted to send a very strong signal that our property was to be saved.

I would get yelled at by firefighters to go back home. The first time it happened I did run back to my parents. But they told me my butt would be beat if I didn't stay down by the road.

And so I did. And the firefighters fought all night, with my father and grandfather plowing, mowing, and watering.

Many outbuildings burned. The fire dept tried to order us to leave. But my parents kept me and my baby brother in the trailer all night, where we lived, at the back of the property. The fire got within 20 feet of our trailer. But because we were kept in the trailer, the fire dept saved the homes.

There were other fires as well, growing up. And every time I had to play by the road. Even with the smoke. Even with the panic.

I don't know how many firefighters yelled at me over the years to get home. But I was under orders to stay by the road. It's a point of trauma. But it did save our home multiple times.

I'm still scarred from that. Fire near me, and suddenly I'm in my heart, in survivalist mode.

Save the heirlooms. Plow the fireline. Water everything.

Even though I'm not living in the country anymore, that is my mindset. I am always hyperaware of fire in the summertime.

And there's an arsonist setting fire to the riverfront. I live nearly right on the riverfront. I am not afraid of fire at my home. But the drums of fear still pound in my heart.

Last edited:
That sounds like a nightmare, and I'm sorry you went through so much as a child and couldn't have a carefree life. It was a huge responsibility and it was about the thing that slowly got to terrify you and your family more and more.

Your family chose to oppose the advice of the firefighters, and made it a risky home to live in, it wasn't a safe place for adults let alone children. I don't know the specifics of why they chose that but it's sad that this happens.

I can tell there is a lot of trauma, anxiety and triggers related to fires, I hope you will find a way to self soothe when it happens.

The amount of accidental fires is so high compared to other causes, I hope that it's accidental. Poverty stricken areas can have things that aren't set right, stuff that's not professionally repaired that ends up being dangerous especially in times of extreme heat it is hard to control.

How are the teams handling the incidents? How are you hanging in?

It's not someone all drugged out of their heads, they don't normally act so rationally.

They will be caught in the end.
I'm inclined to agree that it's most likely someone homed taking issue with the homeless setting those fires to their camps. It's very unfortunate but there have been similar events in my own province this summer. As though people have suddenly lost all tolerance for the homeless and somehow justify that level of mistreatment.

Now I do hope they catch this arsonist and the first stop and that nobody get's hurt. I feel bad for the stress you are having to deal with right now Yeshuasdaughter. It's no fun feeling trapped in a bad situation like that.

I do agree with the methods my elders used to save the property. Although I would not repeat them with my daughter.

It's important to let them know that someone lives in a parcel. There's only so much manpower. And a place where old folks and chidren live. It needs saving.

Neighbor properties all around were saved because of our firelines and the fact that I was out there by the road reminding the firefighters that this parcel is occupied.

You really can't tell just going down the road.

It was scary. Right on the other side of the property line, down by the road, there were flames that were trying to jump across to our neighbors place. I was playing right near the blaze, watching the crews battle dry chapparral and sagebrush.

Because they sent me down, and then refused to evacuate, neighbors kept their homes intact as well. Animals lived.

It burnt all the way down to almost the house. There was a sheep pasture and workshop behind us. The sheep pasture burned. The back wall of the workshop was singed but saved. The oak trees returned in their beauty with the rains that following spring.

Like I said. I agree with it. I'm glad they did the things they did. Staying up all night, battling along side the firefighters. It is a bravery and duty that people from city or suburb will never know.

All the fires on the riverfront the past couple days have me in this state of remembrance. Plus I'm not feeling well. So I'm mentally a little weak and afraid.

It's a very strange horror as a child. Waking up to a world all gone to ash. Empty gray and black mountains. And everything that was saved, over the ash, coated in orange fire retardant dropped from the bombers.

Going to school that day. Other shell shocked kids covered in ash. Some with fire retardant orange smeared on their clothing.

Back then there was no counselling. The routine of school was the therapy. Although no one could do their work in the daze.

I had gone nonverbal. It is how I got diagnosed with aspergers. I was put into Speech class in school because I had stopped speaking and doing work, beginning with being alone and watching flames roar toward me.

I still know that silence, deep inside. I still feel the horror.

Like I said. I agree with their methods. But I couldn't repeat them with my daughter.

Not something city people would know.

Last edited:
We had a rash of suspicious and definate arson fires in our township about 15-20 years ago. Something like 10 total and this is not a densely populated area. Most seemed insurance cash-in related, but one was traced to a volunteer fireman who torched a delapidated detached buildings. And two were a Pizza place owner trying to torch the competition. One was to cover a murder. But then they stopped and there hasn't been one since. Hopefully your situation will also soon cease. It's something you can pray for. I will as well.

We had a rash of suspicious and definate arson fires in our township about 15-20 years ago. Something like 10 total and this is not a densely populated area. Most seemed insurance cash-in related, but one was traced to a volunteer fireman who torched a delapidated detached buildings. And two were a Pizza place owner trying to torch the competition. One was to cover a murder. But then they stopped and there hasn't been one since. Hopefully your situation will also soon cease. It's something you can pray for. I will as well.
A volunteer firefighter? That's awful. It's almost unthinkable. The betrayal.

All the men in my family have stayed at the fire dept as volunteers. Our local fire dept was volunteer only. You knew it was bad when they called in the Dept of Forestry for backup.

Yup that is a type of adult level responsibility that a child does not have the skills or ability to handle. Terrifying stuff thats left its imprint and that seems like a healthy response really to an abnormal situation.

That was then, the immediate danger was real then, your body only wants you to remember to stay safe now, and it sounds like you're doing the best you can to honour the little girl who was placed in harms way. Today you and your daughter have the autonomy to leave if ye are in danger.

A volunteer firefighter? That's awful. It's almost unthinkable. The betrayal.
It's surprisingly more common than you think. Just looking at a wiki page on the topic and the USA alone averages about 100 firefighters convicted of arson per year. Makes sense when you think about it that the same people drawn to being firefighters would be drawn to fire in general. Takes a different mentality to be running into the flames when all of your survival instincts should be telling you to run away.

There are cases of arson that were linked to firefighters, that's well known. And they show up when the fire is burning, like murderers that go to funerals, or thieves that show up when you have a robbery. They want to bask in the excitement. Sorry to read this really triggered you, and brought up frightening memories. That was quite young to have to deal with. Our house completely burned down when l was a tween, so l have a heightened sense of survival and worry about fire also.

Last edited:
You were a brave youngster. Scared, but you did what was needed and as a result homes were saved.

I’m sorry about the current fires. Fires are frightening. Deep breaths.

New Threads

Top Bottom