• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the site & to diagnosis (female/adult/USA)

Poppet

(I actually am copy/pasting my "intro" post from wrongplanet(dot)net over to here... I guess you could say I am testing the water with different ASD forums to see which one I want to spend my time on!)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and pretty new to everything ASD (in terms of having a word for it, not new to my own life!:catface:) I was just recently diagnosed this past month after several years of researching and then finally deciding I needed to go in to get an official diagnosis. It feels great to finally have some clarity and certainty about myself and my future. I just told my parents in the form of a very long letter included in a fairly bulky package (tons of info about ASD so they'd have good resources to learn about it), and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm still feeling really uncertain about how to proceed in terms of if I should tell any of my other friends and family. I have a fiance and of course he's been there every step of the way... I also feel that I should talk to my siblings about it, especially since my bro is probably on the spectrum as well... I'm an adult and live with my fiance about 15 hours away from my family, so it's a bit awkward to just bring these things up out of the blue. The main reason my parents were easier to talk to is because they knew I was going to see a doctor. The diagnosis process was prompted by my getting to my wits end with anxiety and depression. Around the time I went to this doctor I was going through a really stressful period in my life and was starting to have severe panic attacks all the time, as well as fainting spells... The urgent care doctor I went to was no help and I decided that what I needed was my stress to be reduced and my family to support me better through the things that are difficult for me (and not so difficult for them). I couldn't keep pretending I was normal, it was killing me.

Anyway, I feel optimistic about my diagnosis right now, but also in a state of shock and uncertainty. I know I'm a little wrapped up in my own world, researching and getting into learning more about the ASD community, so I don't want to act rashly by branding myself with the label for all to see. I know it's kind of a private matter and stigma is inevitable, but I'm also getting interested in the mental health awareness side of things and wanting to speak up about social anxiety, depression, etc...
I guess I'm hoping joining this forum will be a nice supplement for talking about this stuff until I feel more ready to do so in my personal life.

I've been a member of Asperclick for a while now (run by Willow Hope, an AS YouTuber) and have been enjoying conversing with others there, but this site seems quite a bit bigger so I wanted to join it as well. So anyway, hello all!
I just realized I haven't said anything about myself really, so here's a quick description of me:
My name is Brit. I'm an artist, with a focus on photography, traditional work, and writing. I am a big internet user and have been since the early 90s. I have a blog for my personal life and a website for my artwork. I have 2 kitties and a dog, I *love* animals. I have a fiance who is way more successful and put together than me, he tends to kind of take care of me like a surrogate father, but I also take care of him in the form of being a house wife and fur-baby mother. As you might see from my profile, I'm interested in art, psychology, the paranormal, criminology, abandoned houses, life simulation games, slice of life/daily life, animals, and food.

Feel free to talk to me!
I'm here looking to make friends, gain insight on various ASD related things, and just have a place to vent. :mouseface:

Nice to have you join. We have many great members share great advice. When someone makes a new post, there normally someone will give a response within a few hours. I am on this site on a regular basis and will comment on a person post when I have something of value to say.

Nice to have you join. We have many great members share great advice. When someone makes a new post, there normally someone will give a response within a few hours. I am on this site on a regular basis and will comment on a person post when I have something of value to say.
Awesome! I like the interface a lot so far, and people seem nice! :smileycat:

Hi Brit, welcome to the gang! Good to hear your significant other has been so supportive. Being worried about the stigma makes these sorts of places a good outlet. I know it took me a long time to be able to openly, publicly, and candidly speak about my own mental illness (and, of course, AS---NOT an illness). :)

wyv

Hi Brit, welcome to the gang! Good to hear your significant other has been so supportive. Being worried about the stigma makes these sorts of places a good outlet. I know it took me a long time to be able to openly, publicly, and candidly speak about my own mental illness (and, of course, AS---NOT an illness). :)

wyv
Thanks! :)
Yeah it's still pretty confusing the way people talk about psychological vs. medical (vs. natural state), because to me they are all apart of your body/brain/life/personality/reality/experience. I also have a hard time seeing my "mental illnesses" as illnesses rather than just my reality (depression, anxiety, mood issues, etc). I don't think of myself as "ill" because of depression and anxiety, I just think of myself as struggling with these things. I don't know. I guess ASD alongside mental health issues is a bit of a tricky topic... Since so much bleeds together into forming who you are. Negatives and positives, deficits and gifts... It all just forms into a very complex and unique individual.

Thanks! :)
Yeah it's still pretty confusing the way people talk about psychological vs. medical (vs. natural state), because to me they are all apart of your body/brain/life/personality/reality/experience. I also have a hard time seeing my "mental illnesses" as illnesses rather than just my reality (depression, anxiety, mood issues, etc). I don't think of myself as "ill" because of depression and anxiety, I just think of myself as struggling with these things. I don't know. I guess ASD alongside mental health issues is a bit of a tricky topic... Since so much bleeds together into forming who you are. Negatives and positives, deficits and gifts... It all just forms into a very complex and unique individual.
Couldn't have said it better meself. :)

Hello and Welcome!! I've never been a member of any of the other forums, but this one is really nice, with friendly people.

Hello Brit, welcome to our Aspie community.

Like you I am a member of other AS forums, but this here is the one where I feel safe to post because of its caring and supportive atmosphere. Big thank-you to our moderators who make sure that everyone can feel safe here and is being looked after!

We are glad to have you with us and look forward to getting to know you :)

Welcome :)

It's been a while, but I came from Wrongplanet as well. Hope you're finding your way around this site alright. As you can see, our members are quite friendly people.

If you'd like to read/ contribute to our recommended resources section, feel free to find this here: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Thanks all! It definitely seems like a friendly place, everyone has been really nice and fun to converse with so far! :) Thanks for the warm welcome. :catface:

Hi Poppet x
I'm new too just feeling my way around and looking for answers. NT wife and mum of two aspie boys hubby recently diagnosed and my daughter going through assessment. We all need friends and advice x

New Threads

Top Bottom