• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nihilistic delusional beliefs and Derealization

Oz67

My derealization is severe to the point I have nihilistic delusion. Is this a typical part of my mental illness?

I hold firm beliefs that nothing is real and due to history of severe developmental delay, I can't comprehend how most of humans have superior intelligence and discovered and build electronics. So how do I learn how to appreciate this complexity?

My derealization is severe to the point I have nihilistic delusion. Is this a typical part of my mental illness?
What does your therapist have to say about it?

I hold firm beliefs that nothing is real and due to history of severe developmental delay, I can't comprehend how most of humans have superior intelligence and discovered and build electronics.

You sure don't sound, in your writing, at all 'delayed' mentally.

I, myself, don't have the aptitude for electronics, but understand that other people do.

I hold firm beliefs that nothing is real and due to history of severe developmental delay, I can't comprehend how most of humans have superior intelligence and discovered and build electronics.

I, myself, don't have the aptitude for electronics, but understand that other people do.

No, I have a history of severe developmental delay during childhood, but I improved a lot throughout adolescence and young adulthood.

My learning disorder makes me not appreciate the complexity of electronics, I feel like I am living in cartoon instead of reality.

Can you explain what you mean that I don't sound delayed at based on my writing?

I do have some delay, I have severe math learning disorder and some mild Dyslexia tendencies.

I also have problems with social-emotional reciprocity to a mild degree and intense and abnormal repetitive behaviors, restricted interests and moderate sensory issues.

I will talk to my counselor and my psychiatrist about it

Your writing is at a level that doesn't give an impression of intellectual impairment.

Your writing is at a level that doesn't give an impression of intellectual impairment.

That I agree with that. I may have had general developmental delay in multiple areas during childhood, but it was not intellectual impairment.

Do you want to develop a special interest in electronics, but just find it difficult? That subject has been a part of my life for a long time, so maybe I can give you some inspiration. I had "developmental delays" in childhood too, if you mean just about anything social. In fact, decades later I'd guess I still have rather significant, social developmental "delays." They're so delayed I'm thinking, well never. But I've been a pretty good engineer all that time.

Edit: You wrote that you have a "math learning disorder." Could you elaborate on this? I thought I had that too, having flunked out of calculus numerous times after graduating from high school. It turned into a real confidence problem. Later, when I wasn't quite as socially oppressed, I tried again and I passed three quarters of calculus with a 4.0 grade in each class. I mention this because sometimes the parameters of a learning problem need to be explored very carefully before deciding whether it is permanent or not.

Last edited:
Do you want to develop a special interest in electronics, but just find it difficult? That subject has been a part of my life for a long time, so maybe I can give you some inspiration. I had "developmental delays" in childhood too, if you mean just about anything social. In fact, decades later I'd guess I still have rather significant, social developmental "delays." They're so delayed I'm thinking, well never. But I've been a pretty good engineer all that time.

Edit: You wrote that you have a "math learning disorder." Could you elaborate on this? I thought I had that too, having flunked out of calculus numerous times after graduating from high school. It turned into a real confidence problem. Later, when I wasn't quite as socially oppressed, I tried again and I passed three quarters of calculus with a 4.0 grade in each class. I mention this because sometimes the parameters of a learning problem need to be explored very carefully before deciding whether it is permanent or not.

During childhood, I had some symptoms overlapping with Intellectual Developmental Disorder.

I have severe problems with multiplication and division and some trouble with substractions

I guess we're polar opposites in one sense: Electronics was my first serious special interest. I repaired my first non-functional radio at 6 years old

New Threads

Top Bottom