• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Offgrid Living

wanderer03

Seems I cannot get enough of reading stories and gathering information on those that choose to live offgrid. They are truly living free and I would like to know what it is like to NOT be a slave to Corporate America. Corporate America hates people with disabilities so I'm sick of feeding them my hard earned money. There are a plethora of resources to help one get started. I've seen tons of youtube videos showing how to build a home energy generating solution. I'd love to be able to build one for an RV.

Seems I cannot get enough of reading stories and gathering information on those that choose to live offgrid. They are truly living free and I would like to know what it is like to NOT be a slave to Corporate America. Corporate America hates people with disabilities so I'm sick of feeding them my hard earned money. There are a plethora of resources to help one get started. I've seen tons of youtube videos showing how to build a home energy generating solution. I'd love to be able to build one for an RV.
I think this is a good idea, but you should also check out the laws in your area, because some local governments do not like people going off-grid. Regardless of why, it's important to check.

I think this is a good idea, but you should also check out the laws in your area, because some local governments do not like people going off-grid. I'm sure there's all kinds of sinister reasons behind it, but regardless of why, it's important to check.
Yes, you're quite right. I'm lucky that PA doesn't seem to care. In Florida, they'll flat throw you in jail. Freedom is such a concept of duplicity. The moment the freedom becomes an impedance to big money, the freedom its outlawed. I know one state I'll never visit again and that is Florida. I hate how they criminalized off grid living.

Yes, you're quite right. I'm lucky that PA doesn't seem to care. In Florida, they'll flat throw you in jail. Freedom is such a concept of duplicity. The moment the freedom becomes an impedance to big money, the freedom its outlawed. I know one state I'll never visit again and that is Florida. I hate how they criminalized off grid living.
I've heard about some bad things going on down in Florida. Had a few happen to me as well. I was under twenty-one and picking up trash (because I don't like litter and never have) and one of them was a beer can. I got ticketed for it! Charged with underaged possession for being a good citizen. No way in hell am I ever going back to Florida.

I've heard about some bad things going on down in Florida. Had a few happen to me as well. I was under twenty-one and picking up trash (because I don't like litter and never have) and one of them was a beer can. I got ticketed for it! Charged with underaged possession for being a good citizen. No way in hell am I ever going back to Florida.
Wow! That was really heavy handed. Those sunbelt states tend to criminalize as much behavior as they can.

I would adore having solar panels! I'd still get normal electricity too as a back-up, but my bill would be much, much lower. Solar panels are just so blasted expensive though. But that wouldn't be the biggest obstacle. Aside from cost, my little area was annexed in to city limits (without a vote *grumble grumble*). While we previously were free to do what we wanted with our property, like own chickens, we now have to have the little city flunkies give us permission to so much as poop at our own house. I hate cities and their stupid laws. If they get too ridiculous, I'm moving again. I was born in the stick and I intend to die in the sticks.

Here is a pretty good rundown on what is required to produce AC current from DC current.http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Support Section/Solar Panel & Charge Controllers/The Basics of Solar Power for Producing Electricity.pdf
At the present state of technology,photovoltaic panels are costly and very inefficient. They are rated in wattage at their output voltage which when coupled to parasitic voltage losses thru resistance and the DC to AC inverter become lower than it started out. The system would have to have a battery bank that was sufficient enough to support the home during dark times,poor weather conditions including clouds or snow and even dust that would require some cleaning to maintain efficiency. Pulse width modulated (PWM) inverters are the better choice for making AC from DC but can be costly to buy and chew up power to work.A charge controller would be necessary to not destroy the battery bank by overcharging and again the price goes up.Now you have to add the cost of battery disposal or recycling and the environmental impact of either,so you junked up the planet some more. At the present method for producing the panel,it will use more energy to produce it than it can ever give back during it's lifespan,so we are now at a loss for saving energy costs before we buy all the support equipment and wired the damned thing.Making them is a nasty chemical process that would involve more pollution and the use of oil for the plastics involved. Some panels determined by sun output will require re-aiming during several months to compensate for lower light conditions due to the earth wobbling around it's axis thru the seasons. Winter is when this occurs as days are shorter and visible light hours diminish reducing total system output efficiency.

I give this idea two thumbs down for not being green and two more for how much work is involved ;)

Sorry for the rant,but in my honest opinion the rest of the story needed to be told...:)

When I feel up to it,I may dig out my rant about why the electric car is not the answer either :p

Here is a pretty good rundown on what is required to produce AC current from DC current.http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Support Section/Solar Panel & Charge Controllers/The Basics of Solar Power for Producing Electricity.pdf
At the present state of technology,photovoltaic panels are costly and very inefficient. They are rated in wattage at their output voltage which when coupled to parasitic voltage losses thru resistance and the DC to AC inverter become lower than it started out. The system would have to have a battery bank that was sufficient enough to support the home during dark times,poor weather conditions including clouds or snow and even dust that would require some cleaning to maintain efficiency. Pulse width modulated (PWM) inverters are the better choice for making AC from DC but can be costly to buy and chew up power to work.A charge controller would be necessary to not destroy the battery bank by overcharging and again the price goes up.Now you have to add the cost of battery disposal or recycling and the environmental impact of either,so you junked up the planet some more. At the present method for producing the panel,it will use more energy to produce it than it can ever give back during it's lifespan,so we are now at a loss for saving energy costs before we buy all the support equipment and wired the damned thing.Making them is a nasty chemical process that would involve more pollution and the use of oil for the plastics involved. Some panels determined by sun output will require re-aiming during several months to compensate for lower light conditions due to the earth wobbling around it's axis thru the seasons. Winter is when this occurs as days are shorter and visible light hours diminish reducing total system output efficiency.

I give this idea two thumbs down for not being green and two more for how much work is involved ;)

Sorry for the rant,but in my honest opinion the rest of the story needed to be told...:)

When I feel up to it,I may dig out my rant about why the electric car is not the answer either [emoji14]
What if one generated hydrogen from solar panels and used that fuel to power a home?

Hydrogen production requires electricity for the fuel cell,a means to store a large quantity of gas and a compressing station to make it practical. You have to look at all sides of a solution and so far nothing that has been chosen is either inexpensive or easy. Living off the grid will not work all that well in colder climate areas without money or sacrifice,so winters would best be served where heat isn't a huge factor.
Most that go off the grid are in a permanent location as being mobile adds too many variables to living.

I should've separated that out. I was thinking of either living mobile or offgrid. I'm leaning more towards mobile because I am just not that handy.

Living completely off the grid is possible but requires a lot of work to provide the stuff the big utilities sell you.
Mobility will have many drawbacks as well unless you have good work at all times or a healthy bank account.

Living completely off the grid is possible but requires a lot of work to provide the stuff the big utilities sell you.
Mobility will have many drawbacks as well unless you have good work at all times or a healthy bank account.

Depends on what you're prepared to give up - I miss baths, but I have a shower.. I can live with an inconsistent TV signal while the tide's in and it's windy.. I now have to find my land-legs way more often than my sea-legs.. takes an hour to fire up the wood stove as I don't have central heating..

You definitely do need to be handy though - carpentry, plumbing, electrics, mechanics.. unless you have loads of money and can pay someone to do stuff - but why would you need to live off the grid then?

I'm in the process of renovating an old boat I bought to live on. I got it seaworthy, now I'm refitting the interior - including electrics, plumbing, mechanical and electronic instrumentation.
I've lived aboard for over five years now and have avoided some costly debt and homelessness since I became ill and unable to work - I was able to move from a marina to a cheaper mooring while I waited four months for my benefits to come through so I didn't fall behind on fees, rent/bills cost me about £120 per month, compared to £600-800 when I had a house, so my savings stretched far enough to allow me to eat.
In the UK liveaboards don't pay tax for services - because we don't get any services.
I'm currently plugged into mains electric provided on the mooring I occupy, but I'm working on a wind turbine, solar panel, battery bank and inverter so I can disconnect if I need to. I also have a diesel generator and calor gas onboard. My electric bill is only £10 per month, compared to about £50 my folks use, as we just pay for electric used - no service charge - and more economical useage in the smaller space.
I also have plans to collect and purify rain and river water in a solar still for washing and drinking.
I'm building up a store of dried and tinned food in case of shortages - my own or the countries'. For the first year I was claiming initial base-rate benefits I could only afford to eat 3-4 small meals of plain pasta a week - I'm determined I won't get caught being dependent on the state like that again!
I plan, eventually, to move the boat to a wide stretch of river and drop anchor, as I won't then have to pay mooring fees, as the river below the low tide mark isn't owned by anyone.. free living.

I think this is a good idea, but you should also check out the laws in your area, because some local governments do not like people going off-grid. Regardless of why, it's important to check.

There was a case in the UK recently of an elderly woman who owned her own house and land in a remote location and was completely self sufficient - she had a well, generated electricity, grew vegetables - and sold some to give her money if she needed anything..
Her local council took her to court and she was made to pay a yearly fee - I think it was around £500 - as she wasn't contributing to the economy!

It's much harder on land, these days, to get away with this sort of thing, but on the water - you're untouchable. I and plenty of others have been threatened with legal action by local councils for living illegally, but we're not - we're just living outside the reach of national law and within the perview of maritime law, which is completely different. Also, those councils would be obliged to house 20,000-30,000 people even if they did manage to contravene maritime law.

Last edited:
You know, I'm actually just thinking of buying a trailer (RV) on Craigslist and putting it on a lot in a mobile home park. The more I think about it, the more I realize living nomadically or offgrid is really just a pipe dream. It does not really suite my abilities/temperament very well. Since the recent hospitalizations and being out of work, my credit is ruined. I'm really looking for the best of both worlds, something I own and something I rent. Since good condition trailers can be had from 3,000-6,000 USD, I think I would rather have one of those and rent some space on a lot.

Lot rentals range from 300-600 USD per month and are often inclusive of everything except electricity. This is a fraction of the rent I would be paying and I could be mobile if I have to. I could broaden my search area for work.

Last edited:
There was a case in the UK recently of an elderly woman who owned her own house and land in a remote location and was completely self sufficient - she had a well, generated electricity, grew vegetables - and sold some to give her money if she needed anything..
Her local council took her to court and she was made to pay a yearly fee - I think it was around £500 - as she wasn't contributing to the economy!
May those jerks burn in hell for that. Picking on an old lady and punishing her for being self sufficient! Most elderly have enough health problems they end up contributing quite a bit to the economy just in medical supplies.

A couple years ago, I tried to buy an off grid house with the intention of installing solar after the purchase but after speaking to 50 different mortgage companies, I could not find a single one that would finance a loan for an off-grid, primary residence property: They claimed it was too high a risk in case of default, so to agree with what several others have already stated, unless you have 100% cash it is extremely difficult to do.

That said: There are counties in the south west desert states like Texas, New Mexico, and Nevada that have minimal to non-existent building codes that you can drop an airstream trailer on or build a simple shack on and live however you want to live, but to find these places you have to go way out in the boonies and have (typically) no chance of finding local employment so, again it still takes money to do.

What I’ve done is found a tolerable medium and purchased an on-grid ‘vacation home’ in the mountains and am in the process of converting / fixing it up to a full time residence. It’s a small place, but it’s quiet & peaceful, has acreage (ie: no neighbors & unlimited firewood) and is insanely energy efficient. Although I’m technically on the grid, with the use of wood to heat & cook with, my electric consumption is < 3kW / day which equates to a monthly electric bill of $16-$17 (ie: $0.65 / day) that will at some point get replaced with solar making the only utility coming in my high speed internet.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom