• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On interests and activities.

Neia

V.I.P Member
Is it a trait of autism to not be able to dedicate equal amounts of time to different interests?

For instance: a couple of years ago I finally had the chance to have my lifelong dream of learning biblical Greek come true. But, at the time I was going through a "crochet all the time" phase. I was obsessed with crochet to the point of even dreaming with it.

The Greek classes were free, because our Pastor is a qualified Koine Greek teacher and decided to teach us for free because so many of us wanted to learn.
I even got part of the things needed as a gift from my best friend.
I bought all the Mounce books, bought a new notebook and eagerly started the classes.

But in the end, I gave up Greek because I was falling behind, because I wasn't going at it "properly" according to my own opinion. I was too engrossed with crochet 🙈
I also was going through major anxiety issues at the time, and crochet helped calm me down.

I don't like to do anything by halves, so I decided to stop. Because I wasn't doing it properly. 🙈

In my mind, if I'm not doing it properly, then there's no point in doing it. Whatever "it" is.

Is this ASD, ADHD or what?

Apparently I have both, because having just one isn't enough 🙈

You sound quite normal to me. You're inquisitive and eager to find out about new things, and quite often once the fascination with something new has worn off you find it's not all that thrilling any more.

Even things I get engrossed in eventually become old and not so exciting any more. And sometimes old interests come back around again.

You sound quite normal to me. You're inquisitive and eager to find out about new things, and quite often once the fascination with something new has worn off you find it's not all that thrilling any more.

Even things I get engrossed in eventually become old and not so exciting any more. And sometimes old interests come back around again.
I'm still interested in learning Greek. But there's always something to butt in 😅
I know I'll feel frustrated if I can't dedicate enough time to it, so I won't get started, again, until I can pour my full (almost) attention into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom