• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Opinions about The Chosen series?

FayetheAspie

V.I.P Member
The Chosen series has become one of my latest special interests. Does anyone else like it? What does everyone think about the presentation of Matthew as an aspie? What do you think future seasons will be like?

I haven't seen it, but after delving into some info on it, think it sounds ok and that they are trying to stay close to the source material. Making movies is also making entertainment so some adaptation is pretty inevitable. I like that they have been able to find a path to make it at all in an industry that is not particularly favorable to religous themed content. I can add I might give it a try if I ever have access to it. Right now I am taking a break from streaming services.

I gave Chosen a try last night. I wanted to like it, but simply couldn't keep up with the dialogue or characters. My brain isn't built for that kind of writing. Had to give up about 10 minutes in.

I watched Chosen, but I was confused about the character of Mathew. It seemed normal that he was disliked by everyone and would therefore avoid situations where he would be ridiculed or even attacked. The interior of his home was opulent, perhaps from being well paid for his work. The only sign of ASD in him was his inability to look anyone in the eyes and his bouts of anxiety. I think it is difficult to have a character with ASD without finding ways to make his speech and movements overly exaggerated so that the audience can figure it out. He was constantly in some kind of panic mode.

I gave Chosen a try last night. I wanted to like it, but simply couldn't keep up with the dialogue or characters. My brain isn't built for that kind of writing. Had to give up about 10 minutes in.
Agreed, the first episode was kind of painful to watch, as an aspie.

I have watched the first three episodes. My apartment manager had a watch party a few weeks ago in the community room.

The first episode was very difficult to watch, as an autistic. It was all about subtle nuances between personalities. Which is the opposite of how the autistic brain works. It kept making my skin crawl and overwhelming me.

The next couple of episodes were very interesting. The episodes were more about what the people were doing, than the first episode, which seemed like it was about how their personalities resonate between individuals. I was really enjoying myself. I would like to watch more.

So if you're into watching the show, just know the first episode is very neurotypical, but from what I've seen, the other episodes are more about doing specific things rather than introducing personality. The further episodes seem to be much more autism friendly.

I watched Chosen, but I was confused about the character of Mathew. It seemed normal that he was disliked by everyone and would therefore avoid situations where he would be ridiculed or even attacked. The interior of his home was opulent, perhaps from being well paid for his work. The only sign of ASD in him was his inability to look anyone in the eyes and his bouts of anxiety. I think it is difficult to have a character with ASD without finding ways to make his speech and movements overly exaggerated so that the audience can figure it out. He was constantly in some kind of panic mode.
Think of Matthew from a first century Jewish perspective. He was a native born tool of the oppressors, sucking resources from the indigenous population at every whim of the colonizers. He was quite disliked and the only reason he was still alive was because he had Roman soldiers as backup.

It would be like if a foreign country came in and took over your nation, and then your neighbor got employed by the oppressors. And his job was to go door to door, taking whatever resources the oppressors requested.

Little jittery Matthew is actually my favorite character. He's so nervous and unpopular, pushed around. I want to see his character redeemed, so he can have his day in the sun.

Last edited:
@jsilver256 I found parts of the first episode stressful to watch because of the presentation of Mary Magdalena and was uncertain about the series but after those parts were over I started liking the series.

New Threads

Top Bottom