• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Panicked today

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Today l needed to clean out old apartment. But l had so many past issues there, l panicked about lockbox on doorknob. But 5 mins later, l realised l was panicking from all the horrible issues l had in that place. So when the realisation hit that it wasn't the lockbox, but past trauma, l felt better that l dialed into the exact reason why l stressed. That was a relief in itself. I was adulting, and took responsibility for what l felt instead of just building up feelings and not labeling them.
This has come about after reading many posts here of how we can't quite put our finger on what we are feeling. Like now l go in with lighting speed and disect those messy feelings instead of feeling guilty for just having feelings. I acknowledged that l felt a few mins of panic but l now know why.

Has anybody else gotten quicker and breaking down panic or anxiety thoughts?

Last edited:
I never used to know. Now I look for what's behind it all, and most of the time I'm able to understand. With a few other people as well. It's a relief to finally put some of these thoughts and reactions to rest. Glad that you are learning to as well.

I am glad you were able to work through the feelings and identify the source so quickly.

I definitely was anxious cleaning apartment and somewhat stressed. I allowed myself to cry when driving away. I knew l had to go back to clean, and that alone stressed me out but l felt free when finished.

It sounds cathartic almost. It is good to close a chapter on some parts of life. I admire your ability to recognize and overcome such difficulties.

With regard to getting a handle on things quickly, thus preventing anxiety gaining momentum, yes.

It's taken repetitive practise and deliberately putting myself outside of my comfort zone.

I'm going after getting back in control. Breathing, heart rate, calming my reaction/thoughts rather than analysing.
- I can analyse later, after the fact.

I just need to continue to function in that moment, whatever I happen to be doing at the time.

Your post read like clearing and cleaning the apartment and the emotion involved was something you needed to go through in order to let go.

Hope you're okay :)

YES! I was thinking about this the other day - how this site has helped me in my thinking sometimes and kept me more in control of my thoughts and reactions.

I got better at dissecting emotions in general. It used to be a bundle of nasty things that I was afraid to even touch with a 3-foot stick. All these feelings would either trigger me to have a panic attack, depressive episode or make me completely numb. I'm kind of more appreciative of my brain now - it was always just trying to protect me.

Today, I don't wait until things get messy. I don't ignore little feelings because they don't matter or because I'm not supposed to. Little feelings tend to fall together, grow and rot. You should take care of every single one.

My method is 4xW. So, if I feel something wrong, I sit down and ask myself: 'What is it?'. Then: 'Where is it?'. Then: 'Why is it?'. And again: 'What is it?'.
What is it? Something cold, something not right. Where is it? In my chest, sharp, in my hands, cold. Why is it? Because X happened. So what is it? Anxiety and sadness.

It's okay to feel bad. Everyone feels bad sometimes.

It was this forum that made me realise that it's true also for myself, not only for others.

I got better at dissecting emotions in general. It used to be a bundle of nasty things that I was afraid to even touch with a 3-foot stick. All these feelings would either trigger me to have a panic attack, depressive episode or make me completely numb. I'm kind of more appreciative of my brain now - it was always just trying to protect me.

Today, I don't wait until things get messy. I don't ignore little feelings because they don't matter or because I'm not supposed to. Little feelings tend to fall together, grow and rot. You should take care of every single one.

My method is 4xW. So, if I feel something wrong, I sit down and ask myself: 'What is it?'. Then: 'Where is it?'. Then: 'Why is it?'. And again: 'What is it?'.
What is it? Something cold, something not right. Where is it? In my chest, sharp, in my hands, cold. Why is it? Because X happened. So what is it? Anxiety and sadness.

It's okay to feel bad. Everyone feels bad sometimes.

It was this forum that made me realise that it's true also for myself, not only for others.

Great post!

New Threads

Top Bottom