• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Phtalates in plastic products cause Autism

All-Rounder

No fear of depths and great fear of shallow living
V.I.P Member
A few days ago I heard on the news that chemicals in burnt plastic are a cause of the autistic development of children since in the areas with more plastics being burnt there are more autism children born. That can be a coincidence because most plastics are burnt in cities where its easier to diagnose people, and people will more likely seek out a diagnosis in such an area. Even so, I decided to look it up and see what I could find.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22537663

This studies the intake of phtalates of children with autism, although aren't they too old at 11 year old to be tested for it, isnt it supposed to be near birth? Supposing they never moved areas, and the same amount was present in their systems while their brains were developping, as embryos, then I guess it could prove something.

And there is this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-cancer-cost-340-BILLION-year-healthcare.html

Such genius of the Daily Mail, one of the great authorities on the deep-dive of medical research, to discover that none of these major medical and mental health issues could possibly have ever existed before these chemicals were first let loose on the world's populations!

I was on the spectrum well before ECDs existed. That must therefore be a mistake, because I couldn't have been. I love it when experts prove history wrong!

Can you give the article reference. There is not just one cause, but many, including multiple proven environmental ones, such as car pollution and pesticides.

Eventually someone's going to find out that dirt is the root cause of every child's problems.

On the bright side, a ban on sippy cups and pacifiers makes a lot more sense.

Eventually someone's going to find out that dirt is the root cause of every child's problems.

On the bright side, a ban on sippy cups and pacifiers makes a lot more sense.

Actually there is a lot in very recent studies on the lack of dirt in a child's life causing immuno-problems.

Gee, you guys are very funny. i cant give like points from my phone, sadly and comp is broken down.

Can you give the article reference. There is not just one cause, but many, including multiple proven environmental ones, such as car pollution and pesticides.
I think someones asked me about you, i heard good stuff about you and that youre an old member. Idk if its Mo or Lena.
i cant find a romanian news article discussing it or the video for the news.

Autism can be tested for and diagnosed at any age.
I know, but I mean to be tested for phtalates in their system. Like how would one know if while they were an embryo they had the same levels of phtalates as when they were 11 y o.

I know, but I mean to be tested for phtalates in their system. Like how would one know if while they were an embryo they had the same levels of phtalates as when they were 11 y o.

Ooooh, sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, that's a good point. And I agree with your thoughts about how it could be theorized but not directly proven.

A few days ago I heard on the news that chemicals in burnt plastic are a cause of the autistic development of children since in the areas with more plastics being burnt there are more autism children born. That can be a coincidence because most plastics are burnt in cities where its easier to diagnose people, and people will more likely seek out a diagnosis in such an area. Even so, I decided to look it up and see what I could find.

No proper control group(s), therefore *DISMISSED!* To link the chemical with autism, or dismiss the hypothesis, the authors should have performed a much wider demographic / geographic survey, then studied non-autistic people in those regions and age groups and social-economic demographics.

Phtalates are "everywhere" in the environment, yet the rate / incidence of autism appears to have not changed any time in the past 200 years or so (though diagnostic criteria have). Also, researchers failed to note any phtalate metabolites present at birth in the child and in the mother.

I give the paper a "D+" grade.

Excellent, and thank you. Metabolites should have been tested in the mothers of autistic test subjects, as well as in the test subjects' non-autistic peers in the same geographic areas.

New Threads

Top Bottom