• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pick your Poison

Which of these products caused allergic reaction

• Sulphur dioxide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aluminium

• Chlorine + sodium

• Sodium and Potassium ferrocyanide

• Other (pls add to comments)

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Kayla55

This topic should fall under food or allergies, maybe science section is broadly correct.

Other common anti-caking agents include: silicon dioxide, calcium silicate, iron ammonium citrate, and yellow prussiate of soda. Several anti-caking agents have been cause for concern recently because of their name. Sodium and Potassium ferrocyanide are feared because the chemical compound contains cyanide, a known toxin and common Hollywood poison of choice. However, the same could be said about regular table salt. Chlorine (a toxin) + sodium (a toxin) = sodium chloride = salt. In acidic environments, the bonds of sodium chloride and ferrocyanide can break, but stomach acid is not strong enough for these reactions to take place. Aluminum, used in anti-caking agents, is another concern. However, “In healthy individuals only 0.3% of orally ingested aluminum is absorbed in the GI tract.” It should be noted that in individuals with impaired renal function, ingested aluminum is cause for concern. Improper excretion of aluminum can lead to deposits in the brain, bone, liver, heart, spleen, and muscle. Additionally, aluminum absorbed intravenously has the potential to remain in the body. Excess aluminum has been linked to neurological conditions, certain types of anemia, kidney failure, and the softening of bones.

Sulphur Dioxide is actually poisonous too!

I have no idea if I'm allergic to anything you listed, but I am allergic to aspirin, various antibiotics, eggs and various foods. I don't buy food products that contain anti-caking compounds such as pre-shredded cheese.

More information needed.

Just an FYI, I think we have to be careful with topics like these unless we actually know the chemistry. For example, chlorine is not chloride. Chloride and sodium are essential for normal functioning throughout the body, as is sulfur, potassium, calcium, and many other micronutrients. You would literally die without them. All things in moderation, as it is possible to overdose on just about anything, but for all practical purposes, a healthy body will excrete excesses of many compounds out in the stool and urine. Yes, some compounds are fat soluble and are stored in fat and/or the liver, in which case, it increases the likelihood of toxicity.

I would be careful with reading any scientific literature on potential toxicities of compounds, as many are using animal studies and using concentrations and/or the types of volumes that a human would never, ever be exposed to. An example of this might be the red dye studies where mice were injected with several cc's of red dye, on a frequent basis, until they developed cancer, then they concluded that red dye was a potential cancer-causing agent, and the FDA put the warnings out. However, the amount of red dye that these mice were injected with would be something on the order of 2-3 liters of red dye in a typical adult human, so, eating a red M&M candy was going to increase your risk of cancer? Not likely. The bottom line is that study methods are far more important to the discussion than the results. Context is critical, and if it is not representative of what the typical human being is being exposed to on a daily basis, then probably it is misrepresenting the risk.

Another example, mercury. There is elemental mercury found in some thermostats and glass thermometers and then there is ethyl mercury, found in some preservatives and then there is methyl mercury. Mercury is not mercury, is not mercury. Elemental mercury is highly toxic and the later, not so much. What it is bound to makes a huge difference, as does the amount.

Oxygen, another example. As a respiratory therapist, I deliver a lot of supplemental oxygen to those in need, but at the same time, I have to be careful because an excess is toxic. In the newly born infant, those that needed resuscitation in the delivery room, IF given 100% oxygen for 1 minute had a 5X greater risk for childhood leukemias and if for 3 minutes, a 7X greater risk. This data was based upon 2 huge retrospective studies of 10 years and some 25,000 children, in the 1960's (US) and 1990's (Denmark). Both had essentially the same results. Roughly 15% of childhood leukemias might have been prevented by not resuscitating them with 100% oxygen. So, we do NOT do this anymore. Lessons learned. Premature infants in the neonatal unit may be receiving supplemental oxygen for weeks or months during their stay, and there are a handful of studies suggesting an increased risk of hepatoblastoma (liver cancer). OK, so we have to be a lot smarter. On one hand, we cannot deny oxygen for those in need in the moment, but on the other hand, we have to understand the risks involved when we do and how we do. I use oxygen, but I tend to be a bit "stingy" with it and use continuous monitoring.

You can get yourself into a deep rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and disinformation if you're not careful. The internet is absolutely full of absolute lies and misrepresentations and shear ignorance. The worst, by far, are the "concerned parents" blogs, pick your childhood condition, autism one of many examples. The disinformation being spread is simply rampant, and unfortunately, it can be spread by "quacks" with PhDs and MDs who have an agenda or are a victim of their own Dunning-Kruger phenomenon. They know just enough to sound intelligent and fool people, but don't have enough knowledge to know that they are totally wrong.

More information needed.

Just an FYI, I think we have to be careful with topics like these unless we actually know the chemistry. For example, chlorine is not chloride. Chloride and sodium are essential for normal functioning throughout the body, as is sulfur, potassium, calcium, and many other micronutrients. You would literally die without them. All things in moderation, as it is possible to overdose on just about anything, but for all practical purposes, a healthy body will excrete excesses of many compounds out in the stool and urine. Yes, some compounds are fat soluble and are stored in fat and/or the liver, in which case, it increases the likelihood of toxicity.

I would be careful with reading any scientific literature on potential toxicities of compounds, as many are using animal studies and using concentrations and/or the types of volumes that a human would never, ever be exposed to. An example of this might be the red dye studies where mice were injected with several cc's of red dye, on a frequent basis, until they developed cancer, then they concluded that red dye was a potential cancer-causing agent, and the FDA put the warnings out. However, the amount of red dye that these mice were injected with would be something on the order of 2-3 liters of red dye in a typical adult human, so, eating a red M&M candy was going to increase your risk of cancer? Not likely. The bottom line is that study methods are far more important to the discussion than the results. Context is critical, and if it is not representative of what the typical human being is being exposed to on a daily basis, then probably it is misrepresenting the risk.

Another example, mercury. There is elemental mercury found in some thermostats and glass thermometers and then there is ethyl mercury, found in some preservatives and then there is methyl mercury. Mercury is not mercury, is not mercury. Elemental mercury is highly toxic and the later, not so much. What it is bound to makes a huge difference, as does the amount.

Oxygen, another example. As a respiratory therapist, I deliver a lot of supplemental oxygen to those in need, but at the same time, I have to be careful because an excess is toxic. In the newly born infant, those that needed resuscitation in the delivery room, IF given 100% oxygen for 1 minute had a 5X greater risk for childhood leukemias and if for 3 minutes, a 7X greater risk. This data was based upon 2 huge retrospective studies of 10 years and some 25,000 children, in the 1960's (US) and 1990's (Denmark). Both had essentially the same results. Roughly 15% of childhood leukemias might have been prevented by not resuscitating them with 100% oxygen. So, we do NOT do this anymore. Lessons learned. Premature infants in the neonatal unit may be receiving supplemental oxygen for weeks or months during their stay, and there are a handful of studies suggesting an increased risk of hepatoblastoma (liver cancer). OK, so we have to be a lot smarter. On one hand, we cannot deny oxygen for those in need in the moment, but on the other hand, we have to understand the risks involved when we do and how we do. I use oxygen, but I tend to be a bit "stingy" with it and use continuous monitoring.

You can get yourself into a deep rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and disinformation if you're not careful. The internet is absolutely full of absolute lies and misrepresentations and shear ignorance. The worst, by far, are the "concerned parents" blogs, pick your childhood condition, autism one of many examples. The disinformation being spread is simply rampant, and unfortunately, it can be spread by "quacks" with PhDs and MDs who have an agenda or are a victim of their own Dunning-Kruger phenomenon. They know just enough to sound intelligent and fool people, but don't have enough knowledge to know that they are totally wrong.
In your opinion why do some people mysteriously have strokes that lead to incontingence?
A lack of vitamins or exposure to allergen in preservatives?

We still don't know.
Why are parents of epileptic children screaming at doctors, the meds caused incontingence.

Consider this: balance of potassium
Some don't know, doctor doesn't ask.
It's harmless on shelf, right?
But don't need a medicine cupboard, if you shop in certain way and half various items on food shelf then one day something can go wrong.
If person decides detox using salt flush and it has additives - that's safe, right.

In your opinion why do some people mysteriously have strokes that lead to incontingence?
A lack of vitamins or exposure to allergen in preservatives?

We still don't know.
Why are parents of epileptic children screaming at doctors, the meds caused incontingence.

Consider this: balance of potassium
Some don't know, doctor doesn't ask.
It's harmless on shelf, right?
But don't need a medicine cupboard, if you shop in certain way and half various items on food shelf then one day something can go wrong.
If person decides detox using salt flush and it has additives - that's safe, right.
I am not a neurologist, so my opinion probably is worthless here, but why anyone has a stroke can be any one of a long, long list of reasons. We have premature infants that have devastating strokes. Totally different reasons than children. Totally different reasons than young adults. Totally different reasons than the elderly. There are a handful of relatively common genetic conditions that affect the clotting cascade and increase the risks of strokes and cardiovascular events. The incontinence is likely a symptom of where in the brain the stroke occurred, a specific area of the motor cortex that controls the perineum. It might not be medications, allergies, nor nutrient deficiencies, but there are laboratory tests to find this out instead of guessing. Your neurologist is going to have a better answer than "Dr. Google".

Doctor sets dosage and time of day, is doctor responsible for checking that there's 2 hour gap between various meds interfere?
Why recently did my doc mess up my cimetidine dosage?
Thanks doc, I needed antibiotic prescription but propan mist I could live without!!

Dear doctor,
Should autistic patients take side effects into more account than other patients, are we sensitive?

Are pro-biotics regulated at all? Is the price of one's so called for autism validated, and price validated.
Is doctor going charge follow up to assist with probiotic reaction since prescribed anti-biotics and could they advise before hand.
I had clove detox (it affects blood, I know that which is why I chose detox) but since I'm now trying to rid myself of probiotic and it's stubborn. Clove is making me sick since I already used it. So I stopped.
Now I'm looking alternative way to do this.

I am not a neurologist, so my opinion probably is worthless here, but why anyone has a stroke can be any one of a long, long list of reasons. We have premature infants that have devastating strokes. Totally different reasons than children. Totally different reasons than young adults. Totally different reasons than the elderly. There are a handful of relatively common genetic conditions that affect the clotting cascade and increase the risks of strokes and cardiovascular events. The incontinence is likely a symptom of where in the brain the stroke occurred, a specific area of the motor cortex that controls the perineum. It might not be medications, allergies, nor nutrient deficiencies, but there are laboratory tests to find this out instead of guessing. Your neurologist is going to have a better answer than "Dr. Google".
Are you suggesting the health issues were seperate from asd, are these patients referred to on spectrum?

Are you suggesting the health issues were seperate from asd, are these patients referred to on spectrum?
Most likely separate issues. Working within a huge, metropolitan hospital with over 2000 beds, neonates, pediatric, and adult patients, all I can suggest is that the overwhelming majority of these folks, across the age and diagnosis spectrum, do not have an ASD.

There are severely affected folks with ASD-3 that may have issues with incontinence, but not associated with strokes.

Most likely separate issues. Working within a huge, metropolitan hospital with over 2000 beds, neonates, pediatric, and adult patients, all I can suggest is that the overwhelming majority of these folks, across the age and diagnosis spectrum, do not have an ASD.

There are severely affected folks with ASD-3 that may have issues with incontinence, but not associated with strokes.
You said newborn baby died, but if we referred to its life as a statistic it was premature asd diagnosis.
That's what I thought, I'm badgering doctor witness but
Do you look at side effects and discuss it with ASD patients?
ASD3 patients have incontingence issues - but most of those with strokes or meds issues were able to get to toilet, before.

Let's just admit it, doctors don't know and referral to neurologist may help somewhat but limited, so frustration refering someone there justifies your comments, here.

You said newborn baby died, but if we referred to its life as a statistic it was premature asd diagnosis.
That's what I thought, I'm badgering doctor witness but
Do you look at side effects and discuss it with ASD patients?
ASD3 patients have incontingence issues - but most of those with strokes or meds issues were able to get to toilet, before.

Let's just admit it, doctors don't know and referral to neurologist may help somewhat but limited, so frustration refering someone there justifies your comments, here.
No. I did not say any babies died. The vast majority live.

We treat many patients with ASD, and yes, there is quite a bit of counseling going on here, especially with parents.

To the best of my knowledge, incontinence in ASD-3 is not related to meds or strokes.

If you had a stroke, you should have automatically been referred to a neurologist, as well as, having several brain MRI's, CTs, etc. I cannot imagine anyone not have. This is standard of care.

No. I did not say any babies died. The vast majority live.

We treat many patients with ASD, and yes, there is quite a bit of counseling going on here, especially with parents.

To the best of my knowledge, incontinence in ASD-3 is not related to meds or strokes.

If you had a stroke, you should have automatically been referred to a neurologist, as well as, having several brain MRI's, CTs, etc. I cannot imagine anyone not have. This is standard of care.
But neurologists asking for more dead asd patients bodies to be donated to research
That's in regard to connection between epilepsy and ASD

The k-diet in my unprofessional opinion may not erode digestive system as much as drugs and could therefore be suitable.
Is eating fat worse than not going to toilet?

Side Effects of Preservatives
  • Induced breathing problems like asthma;
  • Hyperactive behavior in children;
  • Weakened heart tissue;
  • Contain cancer-causing food additives such as BHA and BHT;
  • Increase the chances of obesity;
  • Loss of important nutritional value.
  • Headaches;
  • Decreased energy levels;

Intaking too many artificial preservatives, no matter where they come from can lead to numerous health complications such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This is why it is important to limit or avoid these foods entirelywhen trying to mitigate reflux or control symptoms.

Preservatives are used in medicine and pharmaceuticals to help prevent microbial contamination

It is also possible that the overconsumption of artificial preservatives could contribute to some of the signs and symptoms of GERD, including:

• Heartburn;
  • Difficulty swallowing;
  • Regurgitation;
  • Gas and bloating;
  • Pain or discomfort in the chest;
  • Intolerance of certain foods and liquids.

The Final Verdict on Preservatives​

Depending on the type of preservative and how they’re used, they can, in fact, be extremely beneficial. But when used incorrectly or too frequently, preservatives are extremely harmful. To prevent any confusion, it is better to avoid any and all unnatural preservatives entirely. You can start by eating healthy, reviewing ingredients in your cosmetics, and researching questionable additives that you may not be aware of.

More information needed.

Overall, they play an important role in keeping the balance of our bodies' fluids (thus, helping to regulate our blood pressure) as well as the pH. Chloride is also important to help the muscles and heart contract and to help our nerve cells carry messages (nerve impulses) between the brain and the body.

Chloride interacts with sodium and potassium to help regulate the volume of water in the body and to support the function of our muscle’ and nerve cells.
Having the right balance of these three minerals in our diets – particularly by making sure we eat enough potassium and keep our salt intake within the recommended values – is key to support a healthy blood pressure

Lastly, chloride also plays a role in the digestion of foods, by supporting the production and release of hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the stomach, without which foods could not be properly digested and absorbed.

Yet, it’s the chloride added to foods as table salt or through food additives (during cooking or food processing), that most contribute to our daily intake of this mineral, often in excessive amounts.

Some examples of foods high in chloride are shown in the image below and include:

• food sauces (such as soy sauce)
  • processed meats (such as ham, bacon, sausages, etc.)
  • cheese
  • canned fish.
The maximum recommended daily intake for chloride is 3.1 g, which is roughly equivalent to a teaspoon of table salt. However, it’s important to keep in mind that table salt is often added to many processed foods as well, making it easy for us to exceed the recommended amounts.

Regularly exceeding this recommendation puts us at risk of having high blood pressure, which in turn can lead to other health consequences, such as cardiovascular and/or kidney disease.

Asd 3
Has known kidney weakness, should exceed salt intake, what about balance of potassium.
Has your doctor ever pointed this out -

New Threads

Top Bottom