• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relate to the "routine" part of autism but in a weird way. Is this an autistic trait, or is it something else?

So I relate to routines when it comes to autism but not in the way it's described. Like for example I'm on a meal plan in the university and I don't know 90% of the food items there because I eat the same food items all the time. But I wouldn't get upset if I had no choice but to eat something else. Same with routes. I don't know my neighborhood well although I've been living in the place for years because I just take one route home. I also go to the same restaurant and order the same food everytime. Sit in the exact same spot too. I don't know any other resturants in town. But here's the thing, I don't get upset if all this is changed. I'm not deeply attached to these or anything nor do I engage in such activities because of anxiety. It's more of a subconscious process. It's as if I don't care about exploring much. Idk if this is an autistic trait because I care about routine but I'm certainly not rigid about it although it's weird to other people. I don't think, "hey I've got to maintain this routine." It's entirely subconscious.

So I relate to routines when it comes to autism but not in the way it's described. Like for example I'm on a meal plan in the university and I don't know 90% of the food items there because I eat the same food items all the time. But I wouldn't get upset if I had no choice but to eat something else. Same with routes. I don't know my neighborhood well although I've been living in the place for years because I just take one route home. I also go to the same restaurant and order the same food everytime. Sit in the exact same spot too. I don't know any other resturants in town. But here's the thing, I don't get upset if all this is changed. I'm not deeply attached to these or anything nor do I engage in such activities because of anxiety. It's more of a subconscious process. It's as if I don't care about exploring much. Idk if this is an autistic trait because I care about routine but I'm certainly not rigid about it although it's weird to other people. I don't think, "hey I've got to maintain this routine." It's entirely subconscious.
I am similar, but if the change is arbitrary and/or unnecessary, then it really bugs me. If there is a logical, demonstrable reason for the change, then I will go along easily.

That's the interesting thing about Autism.

Routine is generally baked in harder into us, compared to NTs. It's a comfort mechanism, in that way. But this also depends on how one also reacts to interruptions in that routine as well. Significant interruption to routine, is a jarring thing for us and is anxiety inducing. To put it lightly.

If it's a routine that works well with living life. Then there really is little that needs to be changed. Especially if it makes you happy. What other people think is irrelevant, as long as everything you do is harmless.

Though being open to adjustment to the typical routine, is good to do too. Keeps things refreshing and interesting.

But the long and short of it. What you are describing is your experience with it. And mine will be different. The difference, on it's own, is part of Autism. It's not 'weird' by any means. Just your personal flavor of neurodiversity.

I think, for some people, the intensity of feeling upset can depend on one's general feeling of stability and control. If someone is feeling at a healthy equilibrium and has a sense of order and control in their lives, then small changes to their routines may seem noticeable, but not problematic.

If that same person is experiencing feelings of anxiety, chaos, and a lack of control, then the integrity of the routine can become much more important. If we are craving structure and predictability, then disrupted routines can be very challenging to deal with.

My experience has been varied. Sometimes a disruption to an expected routine is very difficult, but other times, I feel more flexible and adaptive. I'm always better when I am the one changing the routine and not someone else. That's not very fair to others, but it makes sense that when we are the ones changing the routine, that change is easier to deal with.

I relate to your experience. I believe I have many routines in my life I don't even know about because I don't deliberately plan for them.

Examples of ones I do know about now (but not at the time):
- When I lived alone at uni, I always bought the same limited selection of food. I didn't have any rigid plan or anything, but I don't like many foods, and I had these foods which I did like, so I always had them in my kitchen.
- At school during one summer vacation, I'd go every afternoon to the same bookstore to keep reading a series of books. Every afternoon, for several weeks. I just liked spending time there and reading.
- I always got the same food from the school cafeteria, to the point that the lady selling them gave them to me without me needing to order them.

Those things are not huge, there will be NTs who have similar routines, and I wouldn't generally be upset when those routines were interrupted. But they were there throughout my life. The routines themselves would change, but I was always very consistent and always had routines. It gave me safety, a feeling of pleasure and comfort.

I am only bothered by a change in my routines if I'm hassled generally. Like, when we have guests, many of our routines get disrupted simultaneously, while at the same time a lot of social contact is needed. Then, with everything already being mayhem, I may very well start crying and "having a fit" because someone spontaneously suggests to go to yet another shop when we were planning to go home already, or when someone knocks on my door wanting to talk while I planned some reading time. Things that wouldn't normally bother me very much.

There are specific things, such as my workflow, that appear to be quite regimented and routine. At work, it's not only what I do, but how I do it. It's at work, that perfection is a goal. I can feel that pressure and anxiety when my workflow is upset.

Then there is my non-work/home life where I rarely take the same routes while driving, when I eat, what I eat, how I do things, when I do things, etc. In many respects, I actively avoid routines.

I am of the mind that the more general anxiety one has, the more the need for control, the more likely that routines become an important component of life. An underlying anxiety condition is part of the autism experience, but on say, a scale of 1-10, I suspect there may be a high degree of difference from one autistic to the next. Sure, I sense anxiety, and when I experience it at work, I am absolutely NOT allowed to show it. In fact, when I do sense it, I force myself to become more quiet and purposeful. When at home, no anxiety, and I tend to avoid routines.

The routine part I think is pretty classic ASD. Sounds like me. The flexible part is not absent from autism but if I had to guess would be something of a minority, like 30%. But it's just me guessing.

I love trying new foods, different culture's foods, ect. At the same time I have routines such as when I go to a certain restaurant, I always get a side of their apple sauce regardless of what meal I have. It would bother me tremendously to eat there and not have the apple sauce. It makes me feel highly stressed for furniture to be rearranged yet I love holiday decorating. When food or beverages are being prepared, the plates and cups belong in a certain order. It is highly stressful if this is changed. If someone sets something out for me that I usually get myself (such as when making coffee in the morning), it is stressful because getting it is part of the routine process. It can leave me feeling almost panicy inside though I try to hide it. If they have left the room, I will often put it up just so I can take it out and feel immediately better. As a child, I would do this even if they were standing right there so there has been improvement I think.

I like routine, but also change, When I was working always tried different routes shave off a minute here or their
one route extra lane added other route underpass added under railway track. Finished just prior to retirement so got home in twenty minutes. ThIs kind of change I like. I do not like locking my self into one vantage point even when it comes to how I look at things. rearranging the furniture in my house. Once it's right fits the room that's it.

New Threads

Top Bottom