• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

River Fishing off a Dock

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I have loved fishing my whole life.

For the past two years, I have lived near the Delta of two of the major rivers in North America. The Willamette, and the Columbia.

I have never fished in a major river before. I don't know what to do.

I've fished in plenty of lakes, ponds, and reservoirs, and little creeks and small rivers. When I was little, we'd fish off piers in the Pacific. But never a proper, massive river.

Mostly I'd like to do catch and release, but at special times of year, we go out to watch the salmon run. I know there's trout, steelhead, and bass in the river too. So it'd be fun to someday bring home dinner.

We've also seen otters and sturgeon, really close to the dock, quite often. Locals who live right on the water, say they see sea lions sometimes too.

Can someone give me tips on river fishing? From docks and piers, not from a boat.

Like on a river deep and wide enough for cargo ships to navigate, where the bridges go up to let ships pass. As we are pretty close to the ocean, the rivers are tidal, and the water is slightly brackish.

I really want to get into this. I think it'd be a nice hobby.

Last edited:
Can someone give me tips on river fishing? From docks and piers, not from a boat.
As a little kid I grew up on the Murray River in South Australia and I was taught to swim and fish and do all the sorts of things people living on a big river do. I never liked river fish much, a slightly muddy taste to them, but I was taught how to catch clean and cook them.

These rules are the same for salt water fishing too, from a beach or jetty.

The best bait is what ever you can find in the water at your feet, foods that local fish will recognise straight away. We used to fossick around in the mud at about 2 feet deep using our feet, looking for mussels, they make great bait. We also used to catch small fresh water shrimp and use them as bait. A metal hoop on the end of a stick with one leg of a pair of nylon stockings stretched over it to make a net, the hoop was just made from a wire coat hanger.

Where you fish is important. If you cast your line a long way out with a heavy sinker all you're going to catch is catfish and other bottom feeders. The fish you want are predators, ambush hunters. They need some sort of structure to hide behind, such as the little jetty you're sitting on, and they mostly feed at only one or two feet below the surface. So instead of casting your line out a long way just lower it about two feet in to the water right next to where you're sitting and see what you can get.

If the river is tidal then at low tides you should be able to see other natural structures that are normally under water, these are also good targets for casting your line out to.

If you've got otters and seals hanging around then I don't think you'll manage to catch much.

New Threads

Top Bottom