• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory friendly places

thejuice

V.I.P Member
Where do you hang out that has people and is sensory friendly?

I'm in bar/ lounge thing which is quite fashionable at the moment. Does alcohol/ food/ barista stuff. It's not really loud but loud enough to be fatiguing for someone with sensory issues.
All the voices don't mesh for me. I hear each conversation equally loudly. Then the piped music smothering everything.
There's fashionable 'naked' lightbulbs stabbing my eyes 👀..
And a slight drain smell 🤢😂

Last edited:
I quite enjoy a pub atmosphere but only if the place is near dead. I deliberately look for places that are nearly empty, much more peaceful and people are more inclined towards quiet conversation. Places that are struggling to attract customers usually have cheaper meals too.

I find pubs too dimly lit inside.

Libraries used to be serene places but now that small kids are allowed to run around screaming in them they're no longer peaceful places. You might just as well go and sit in a children's park.

I find pubs too dimly lit inside.

Libraries used to be serene places but now that small kids are allowed to run around screaming in them they're no longer peaceful places. You might just as well go and sit in a children's park.
That annoys me, it's why I don't go there much unless to print something. I have play park right outside my house too, can't get away.

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, here pubs are about food as much as they're about alcohol and a pub lunch is an old cultural tradition be it just a quick counter meal or sitting properly at a table. My local pub is more like a restaurant than a pub and I don't like that at all, usually busy and full of families.

Instead I do a search for "pub lunch" and go through a list of pubs in the city, as mentioned above, the places with better meal deals are also often the quieter places that are trying to attract more customers. The first one in this list caught my eye straight away, a T-bone steak with chips and salad for Au$20, that place must be struggling.

https://www.agfg.com.au/restaurants/adelaide/pub-grub-cuisine

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, here pubs are about food as much as they're about alcohol and a pub lunch is an old cultural tradition be it just a quick counter meal or sitting properly at a table. My local pub is more like a restaurant than a pub and I don't like that at all, usually busy and full of families.

Instead I do a search for "pub lunch" and go through a list of pubs in the city, as mentioned above, the places with better meal deals are also often the quieter places that are trying to attract more customers. The first one in this list caught my eye straight away, a T-bone steak with chips and salad for Au$20, that place must be struggling.

The 20 Best Adelaide,SA Pub Food Restaurants | AGFG
That is insanely cheap!

Yeah "proper pubs" are a dying breed. It's only going to get more difficult now legislation is being brought in to stop smoking In pub gardens..

A lot of pubcos don't let their landlords make money on beer here. 9 pubcos control half of all pubs

You have British pubs in Adelaide. That's cool
Adelaide was always very British, more of a British accent than the rest of the country too. It was also never a penal colony, instead it was a free settlement for those that could afford it.

I like seeing all the British names of places. You have a suburb called Salisbury, that's a town near me and Plymton I used to travel through by train on the way to Plymouth.. Fulham I know too. Stirling from Scotland.

I like good restaurants unless I'm seated next to someone who reeks of so much perfume that I cannot taste my food, or the lighting is so dim I have to use a flashlight to read the menu, or the music is so loud that everyone has to shout at their table mates.

I bought 30 acres of trees and built a nice open air living room in a clearing.

The lighting is variable, but never harsh, and although I generally find the bird songs soothing, if I yell "Shut up!", they always politely do.

Ceiling leaks, though.

That show is so funny maybe they could do an Australian version then!
Except for a few minor language differences it would almost be the same show. Dole instead of Gyro for example.

There is an Aussie comedy with a similar type of theme called Housos but it's set in Sydney which is very different to here.

The cafe I venture to can be quite then noisy. The music they play is usually great. The problem is when people are there minding their business on there devices it's fine. When they are chatting then it gets noisy. Also when I hear the pots, dishes and bins it gets annoying. It is a small place but it is still the biggest one I found in South Slope Brooklyn. Other ones are so tiny in my neighborhood and other places in NYC with no couches or a vibe of people knowing you. Place reminds me of that show Friends but not that big of a cafe. I mentioned it to people there.

Upscale cocktail lounges, but they do cost money.
I hate getting dressed up and would much rather wear something comfortable, I especially have issues with shoes and the only ones I have that are really comfortable are steel capped work boots. I've done it a few times though, dressed up for formal outings but with steel capped boots on. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom