• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I dump my random junk at mom's house in the trash?

oregano

entering peak crazy world
V.I.P Member
I am thinking of heading to my mom's place in the spring to clear out stuff I didn't get around to cleaning out in September and greatly reducing the stuff I have, then bringing the remainder up here to store in a shed on my property. I don't want to have to do it after my mom dies-she is almost 80-so I am doing it now. I have a box full of old vinyl records, just over 3 trays of cassettes, and a bankers box stuffed with maybe 100 CD's. It's all been in storage since 2010 and to be honest I can't stand most of it anymore because of the memories. I have a few items that could be considered collectibles and will save those, but the bulk is from obscure pop, rap, and rock artists that nobody remembers, indluding their songs. Music goes for very little on Ebay, even big artists like Elvis, so my collection is pretty much worth $0. I am thinking of just junking the whole mess and selling my ministereo on Ebay. Also there is a bunch of books that will also go in the dumpster. And then there's the boxes of random junk that have already been whittled down over the years. I am thinking of just tossing most of it in the trash except for a few sentimental items and a few things that might be collectible like old restaurant matchbooks from mid 90s San Francisco. I am going to get up the nerve during winter to finally relieve my mom of my junk.

Trash bin or the thrift store.

I know it sounds sacrilegious but even those matchbooks won't do you good surviving in the woods like you do, and apart from things like old 78s or some indie/underground cassette or CD labels almost all modern music is backed up somewhere else. Dumping usable music and books is probably wasteful though so I would suggest making it a thrift store's problem, and someone else's find.

I just junked my Smith Corona electric typewriter a little while ago because it had failed and I cannot repair it. My other Smith is a 1936 Sterling and can be overhauled with a few screwdrivers so it remained. When something ceases to be useable, leave it to autistics to hang onto it forever...on that note I have to scrap a few more things.

Good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom