• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Simultanagnosia

FayetheAspie

V.I.P Member
I am starting to realize that I probably have simultanagnosia and was wondering if anyone else relates. I did not know that it was unusual to see this way and now know that this or something very similar is why I can not learn to drive. How it was discovered is covered in ASD severity levels explained (hopefully) post #61.

I do not know how to provide a link,but CVI Scotland has a good article on it( lesson 7c simultanagnostic vision ).

Simultanagnosia - Wikipedia

1722176914985.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bálint's_syndromehttps://cviscotland.org/documents.php?did=1&sid=38

Go to the place that has the information you want.

Copy the URL (address of the web page.)

Click Reply in whatever thread you want to place the link in, and
Paste the copied address in.

Then click "Post reply."

I had never heard of this word before. Turns out I am exactly the opposite! I can tell you the make, model, and color of every car around me at any given moment without ever taking my eyes off the road….. because I see them all at the same time as a large moving tapestry.

That explains why I have driven more than 250K miles on one of my vehicles alone without a single scratch in the last 25 years, in Los Angeles traffic. (Add another 100K on my big van at work)

@AspieChris If I was looking at the liscense plate of the car straight ahead I could not tell you what shape the tail lights were without shifting my eyes to look at them. People often thought I was acting suspicious when I entered a building in public because I would look at different points around the room to learn my surroundings. Now I know why other people's eyes don't dart around so much and why people find me so odd because of it.

@tree I do not have the other components of the bálint's syndrome that you provided the link about. I can focus my eyes on an object just fine. I just have a limited vision field with a smaller than normal area of focus.

Knowing this makes me feel better about myself . I was almost starting to believe the people that say not having the liscense = I am lazy and lacking motivation. I would try and try to observe enough data points to form the entire picture around me but could not collect enough fast enough while driving and did not understand how others could. Now I know that they don't have to because they see the whole area. I now know that I have a legit reason for not being able to learn to drive. I also relate to how the article that I provided the link to mentions the field of vision being smaller in cluttered places like busy intersections in comparison to when in wide open places.

I have something slightly similar but I don't think it's the same thing really. I'm hyper focussed on detail, but cannot hold an image of the whole in my head. But this never stopped me from being able to drive, in fact almost the opposite (depending on the definition of good driving/riding). I used to motorcycle in central London in the same fashion as despatch riders (do they still exist or are they all little moped riders now?) - basically riding the centre line of the road as fast as possible, slaloming between cars and keep left bollards and other road obstructions, and the bikes doing the same in the opposite direction. But left me unable to cogitate in any meaningful way. I sometimes could not even tell what route I'd taken, no memory of what happened on the journey.

Staying alive and uninjured while riding the limits took immense concentration 100% of the time, being aware of everything happening, and I was very good at picking all the element's in my range of vision (in all directions) that I needed to mentally track to make sure I never got squished. I could be concentrating so much I'd find I'm lost (I can't remember what places look like very well) have to stop occasionally so I could try and find where I was (long before sat-nav). But never able to think on it or understand what I was seeing beyond being just obstacles to be assessed and predicted and judged.

The intensity was a drug in itself, very powerful and would leave me at the end like I was coming down off a trip (metaphorically, and I suppose actually too!). Highly compelling and worth the risk for the effects while I was able to do it (my reflexes are far too sloppy these days).

Even now when out walking among people I'm always doing similar but with much less intensity being somewhat slower and less dangerous. Checking what's far ahead, who's behind me, where people are walking, what's happening corner of my eye, etc. Maintaining a situational awareness to feel more secure and in control of myself. Picking up tiny details all the time. I think it's partly why I'm good with computers and data structures, pick out the patterns and faults in data, 'visualise' the logical connections and suchlike. But I find a huge problem seeing the 'big picture' in those patterns and programs, mostly where the human interactions come into it.

But I don't think this is simultanagnosia, I can flick between the objects very fast and retain the logic of their connection even though can't recall what they look like to be able to describe them - I can tell those tail lights are on a car, but couldn't even say what colour that car was, never mind the make/model. It's just a moving and potentially fatal object and the rear lights tell me if it's braking, just as I'd look in it's side and rear mirrors to see if the driver is looking in them or unaware of their surroundings (soaking up even bit of usable fine detail to stay alive).

15 years biking hard in London and the only accident I had was a priest cutting me up because he didn't see me already on a roundabout and just drove straight on it and into me. I figured that counts as an 'act of god'! 😊
So I guess this is not the same thing even if it has similarities, or maybe some shared elements.

I would know that the tail light was on a car but if I was looking at the tail light the rest of the car would be a blur.

I also have myopia (near items are extremely clear and detailed but the further away they are the more blurred they are). Up close I can see things that are too small for a lot of people to see. I have worn glasses for the myopia since early childhood. I think the two conditions together have caused me to be very detail oriented. I once scored very well on a test to see how well you could correctly identify fingerprints,even partial and smeared ones. I also love to observe small flowers and insects that are so small that most people do not notice them.

I would know that the tail light was on a car but if I was looking at the tail light the rest of the car would be a blur.
Similar, but a blur in essence not actually. The car is defined in precise detail, but my mind ignores any part that isn't important to the task at hand. I can't image it internally, all I have is a memory it exists, where it is, how it's moving, and all the additional data referring to not colliding and allowing for a bad driver. Afterwards I'd likely not even be aware it existed, it would have vanished from memory beyond a possible sematic knowledge there was a car, which is unlikely unless it did something unusual to strengthen the memory and build a more in depth knowledge of it's behaviour - still no actual car in my mind - I know there was a car, but what it was beyond that is inaccessible to my consciousness.
I think this is more to do with attention, focus of cognition, rather than than perception alone. I can only think about abstractions and their logical patterns and relationships. Ideas in essence.
I'm unable to recall symbols without relevance to me, the colour of that car, or it's make and model are meaningless, only it's attributes that relate to me avoiding injury that I can process and maybe remember (but usually discard as no longer important to recall once past that car).

I don’t feel bad that I’m not comfortable piloting a space ship. You shouldn’t feel bad that you’re not comfortable piloting an automobile.

Good on hou FayetheAspie for knowing your limits and not bowing to peer pressure. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom