• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Slow Heart Rate

V.I.P Member
I'm just throwing this one out there, even though I doubt very much if it is a trait.

Just wondering if anyone, especially those with dyspraxia (lack of coordination, clumsiness) has an unusually slow heart rate?

I'm about 25% above my ideal weight, so technically obese. Not particularly fit, although I do a bit of walking and I go to the gym most days. Yesterday my resting heart rate was 45 bpm when I woke up in the morning, and this is not unusual even if I am sitting watching TV for a while. A lot of serious endurance athletes wouldn't have a resting heart rate that low. When I was a teenager and I actually was very fit my heart rate was often in the high 30s.

45bpm is pretty slow, borderline worrying.

I used to be... -incredibly- fit. I used to be a swimmer (competitively - was the 6th best in the country (freestyle) when I was 11 :P ), and my heart rate was high 40's at least. After a race I could be as high as 240bpm. Insane.

Anyway, I really think you should get it checked out, even more so if you were in your 30's a while back.

What kind of bpm do you have after exercise nowadays?

Oh, just for the record - I'm not dyspraxic, so don't consider that in my reply.

High 30s was about 30 years ago, when I was 14. I've always had a slow heart rate. If I'm really out of shape my resting heart rate would be about 60, which is what a very fit person's heart rate should be. When I am exercising regularly it gets down to the mid 40s. If I keep up the exercise for a few more months and drop the 20kg I need to, I suspect that my heart rate will be down to 40 or below again. I always used to have very low blood pressure, but these days it is normal. Which probably means my arteries are starting to harden up.

I used to do a lot of swimming too, I just wasn't very good, best I ever did was a 3rd in the regionals (and I was a long way behind 1st and 2nd). My technique was all over the place, and I never could get my kick synchronised with my stroke. At least now I know why (dyspraxia). It did build up my heart and lungs though. Most people take 3 or 4 breaths to blow up a balloon. I take one.

When I was a teenager my heart rate after strenuous exercise was 200+. Maybe 210 or 220 tops. Nothing like 240. These days my heart rate gets up pretty high during exercise, about 180, but I don't push myself to the limit.

84bpm...just sat doing sod all.

Erm. Usually it's above 100bpm.

If I'm doing it right.

I have dyspraxia..

Ah right, cool... As long as you're still alive. :D Lol.

Not got a clue what my HR is like nowadays, I need to join a gym again. I'm not fat, but I'm not in all that great shape either lol.

My resting is 44. I guess it just means my heart is a strong muscle that pumps blood very effectively round my body without needing to pump faster.

I would imagine it would only be a problem if blood wasn't getting around your body effectively causing circulation problems.

When active/moving about my heart rate is about 56bpm.

My hear rate's crazy. It's like, >80 bpm doing nothing. It varies. I've gotten ones as high 110 bpm doing nothing.
But it doesn't change that much during walking. Sometimes during walking it's lower than the one I measured for sitting down :S.
I've not checked what it is after doing exercise for years now so idk what the difference is.
EMZ=]

My resting is 44. I guess it just means my heart is a strong muscle that pumps blood very effectively round my body without needing to pump faster.

I would imagine it would only be a problem if blood wasn't getting around your body effectively causing circulation problems.

When active/moving about my heart rate is about 56bpm.

Hurray, found one!

More info please. Male or female? How active, how fit? Do you have dyspraxia?

New Threads

Top Bottom