• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Slow processing speed"

Ylva

V.I.P Member
I've seen this claim leveled against us before, including in a recent thread I didn't want to derail, so I'm posting here to ask:

Does anyone else… not name things right away? Like, you see it, but you don't immediately identify it? Especially with close-ups, I can have trouble telling that a piece of seemingly abstract art is in fact of a concrete object.

Example: I was reading Doctor Doom earlier, and a panel of him grabbing a katana by the blade looked to me like he was hitting someone in the head, but the head was just the fist grabbing the handle.

In fiction I have noticed that Robert Langdon and Bella Swan sometimes have similar problems, but this is not a thread about them.

Hi Don't fully understand? are you discussing delayed processing? cause if so i do this often or i call things other things as prehaps i don't have the usual processing path but also often make multi connections to words, for example a piece of art say a abstract piece will take me to Hepworth then other associated artists, i think in waves and often have multi connections not just to images but also to people, smells and colours.

I dont think this has anything to do with "processing speed". It's moreso just a matter of art sometimes being awkward. Drawing is hard, that's a fact. Painting is also hard. You have to deal with proportions and often the idea of trying to create something that looks 3D on a totally flat 2D space. Even worse if the person looking at the art is nearsighted. And there's the fact that everyone's visual perception is just inherently different.

That's part of why abstract art is, well, abstract.

That's part of why abstract art is, well, abstract.

Indeed, but it happens with real things, too, just to a lesser extent because I usually surround myself with things I am familiar with.

Does anyone else… not name things right away? Like, you see it, but you don't immediately identify it? Especially with close-ups, I can have trouble telling that a piece of seemingly abstract art is in fact of a concrete object.

Slow processing speed? I don't think so. I prefer to see this as "working the problem". Even if it involves something mundane like abstract art or other objects. The kind of task that most others may not even bother with.

Symbolic that you think more deeply about things in general. Not a bad thing among us Aspies.

Last edited:
I see it that my inner world conflicts with the outer. Which is right? Which is better? Just because humans put words on things and take X amount of time to process what they created does not make my failure to "get it" in X amount of time (or at all) does not make me slow or wrong or in anyway deficient. My mind would love a world with less sensory input, with less things crammed in your face all the time and being forced to make sense of things that truly make no sense at all .Humans really take the cake when it comes to senselessless.

I have problems with that. Like your avatar image. That is something I might not be able to make out correctly. And it's like my brain knows it's not registering properly, so I keep looking at whatever image trying to sort it out. Then when I do I wonder how I didn't see the image properly in the first place.

Related, I always have difficulty finding the hidden meaning in song lyrics. Sometimes I can never figure it out until someone explains it to me, and then I read it back in my head and it becomes so obvious. Same with some jokes.

Honestly, who cares how you interpret a piece of art? If you can find beauty in something then it shouldn't matter if you didn't get the whole picture at the first glance.

Thought art was subjective. But yes, l can some times process slowly. It depends on if my analytical side is operating. If my emotional side is mowing the lawn, then my analytical side is off duty.

The way I can sort of relate is that I get caught up in some hobby, like say photography, everything becomes about getting great photography gear and finding a great photograph, it’s like OCD, but more like having a ‘one track mind.’

I don’t know about finding images in pictures, because I do not have that much experience with such things, but I suspect that things aren’t completely different

It’s like if I get thinking about things in one way, it’s hard to just change direction and think about things in another way.

Like a pretty flower growing out of rotting tree stump does not have to be a photograph, and the first way one looks at abstract or close up art does not have to be the thing one first thought it was.

Recently I have been finding it hard to understand what is going on in photos or other images, but I assume that this is due to my becoming increasingly more long-sighted: things close up are blury and don't have a clear outline. Otherwise my visual processing is normal. What I do have difficulty with, is putting it into words. I can see something and instantly know what it is, but the word doesn't come up right away. If I want to explain something, I must deliberately slow myself down to make myself fluent and coherent, otherwise it just comes out in a jumbled mess. I'm slower at processing speech/conversation than the average person for meaning, but not visual information.

I think it might be a tendency with autism, but broad in how it actually plays out in individuals. I have often experienced a feeling of not being able to think well quickly. I need time to process it thoroughly.

In many situations there is a main strand of logic to follow, but what comes to mind is often a flurry of extraneous aspects, tangents, etc.

It is frustrating/stressful for me when you don't have the time to process. On the other hand it makes me fairly good at being random.

I don't know if it's the processing speed. I also appear slow to other people, I've been told that. But I'm sure my mind and processing go fast, I'm really sure about it.
I think it's more a problem of attention, and on which things your attention gets caught. If your attention wasn't "centered" where "it should've", then you might appear slower to get back to the main point.
I rarely watch action movies because of that. My attention gets caught into detailling the fire flames and looking at the effects moving, and I have no clue about what happened in the scene, or at least it's not clear while other people don't have this issue. It's not slow processing, it's just that my attention gets caught by other things around that aren't the main point. That makes me look slow and awkward on the outside.

New Threads

Top Bottom