• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Snail mind thread

Levitat0r

Celebrate or lament (your choice) how the rest of the world perceives you. I will begin with the premise that the introverted, absent, space-cadet trait causes people to perceive you like a thing that's hiding in its shell and which only comes out to be slimy and freak you out.

Your assignment: Continue to identify this or other traits which cause rejection, and see if you can figure out how to characterize how they are perceived by others.

DISCLAIMER: That's not how I see you. I <3 you.

I like the thread name! Things that cause rejection: slowness in manner of speech and thought. (Snail mind-get it?) lol

As child I never realised others refer to snail as a metaphor....
So I tested salt to see if really do bubble and don't. Became bored. So don't tell kids cut worms up and grow back because some of us will literally test theory kind of pulled lizards tails off too! But didn't touch spider, didn't like those creepy

As child I never realised others refer to snail as a metaphor....
So I tested salt to see if really do bubble and don't. Became bored. So don't tell kids cut worms up and grow back because some of us will literally test theory kind of pulled lizards tails off too! But didn't touch spider, didn't like those creepy

I don't know what other people perceive in snails, metaphorically or otherwise. These three videos are additional examples of something that I became attached to first, and then later I found that they served as some commentary. I felt that they were funny or intriguing at first, but now they fit together. Maybe that's what every "meme" is, the intuition that something is more meaningful than first glance.

I don't know what other people perceive in snails, metaphorically or otherwise. These three videos are additional examples of something that I became attached to first, and then later I found that they served as some commentary. I felt that they were funny or intriguing at first, but now they fit together. Maybe that's what every "meme" is, the intuition that something is more meaningful than first glance.
I think snail metaphor was part why French eat snail n frogs. I didn't know at time why what I was doing was upsetting others ...I just questioning mind

So you saying snail is shy (compared ASD) and coming out shell is opening up?

I always have to check to see if I understand what's going on....because one time the Lebanese restaurant served skewered frog legs N I didn't understand

Then there was this salad with sea snails served as asian dish....

My dad always said they swopped me in the hospital so one day I thought he may be right,

I don't know how the world perceives me, because I'm no longer a real part of this world. I really don't want to know how the world perceives me. Probably a frumpy, fat old Karen with a creepy and weird fondness for Disney cartoons.

So you saying snail is shy (compared ASD) and coming out shell is opening up?

I always have to check to see if I understand what's going on....because one time the Lebanese restaurant served skewered frog legs N I didn't understand

Then there was this salad with sea snails served as asian dish....

My dad always said they swopped me in the hospital so one day I thought he may be right,
The metaphor works both ways. There is social shyness, and there is shyness on another level, because I tend to cognitively retreat, basically in real-time. That's where my focus goes to, yo-yo like. I can exert myself to look into the phone like five times, and still look like I'm staring off into space, and I realize that's how I look to people. Then I'll laugh at myself and try to catch a candid of myself laughing, as an improvement over that. Like I said, it doesn't bother me, but I wonder why it's so hard to meet people. What it comes down to is; surprise. Your mind works differently, so even when your gross actions are identical to everyone else, they don't see them as the same.

Slugs do get melty and bubbly when you put salt on them.
They have no shell for protection.
So maybe I retreat into my shell for protection and people see me as untouchable.
They also see me as funny because I say what comes to mind.
That can turn out "ha ha" funny to them.
I've been told that by some. I'm not trying to be funny, but the way I word things can sound that way.

A snail might be a funny creature to some, but I think they are cute. :snail:

Difficulty with motor skills. Seen as some combination of slow, stupid, and weak.
That's kind of an obvious one, especially at the gym class stage. I wouldn't know where I stand today since I don't test myself against anyone physically and I can do everything I need to. When you compete with other people for maximum coordination, you're basically dead last, but look at what you're competing at; it's generally nothing you have a practical need for unless you were trying to evade a tiger, or something.

So maybe I retreat into my shell for protection and people see me as untouchable.
I've been told that by some. I'm not trying to be funny, but the way I word things can sound that way.

I certainly think it's mostly Vi that puts an endearing spin on the snail. Flansburgh, I think, is nailing this concept pretty much directly and deliberately. He feels like someone who the world is always putting in his place, and that place is in his metaphorical shell. Then, the grating horror music he's playing over it characterizes how he thinks the world sees him, and it seems apt in terms of how one feels regarded.

Yes, embrace and celebrate the snail! When in doubt, find other snails and tiny garden creatures who can understand your unique traits. Every creature on earth has different strengths and weaknesses. I think most animals do not spend their days focused on the negatives, and humans could learn a lesson there. I'm not suggesting toxic positivity, I'm just suggesting that a focus on our strengths and our worth can actually lead us to environments where we are more accepted and indeed, celebrated for the unique creatures that we are.

Meet my snail friend who lived in a terrarium I once had. I watched him grow from a tiny speck into a little guy I could actually photograph. At full size, he was probably .5cm. Never in a rush. He lived a diligent and simple life.

1706267735932.jpeg

Yes, embrace and celebrate the snail! When in doubt, find other snails and tiny garden creatures who can understand your unique traits. Every creature on earth has different strengths and weaknesses. I think most animals do not spend their days focused on the negatives, and humans could learn a lesson there. I'm not suggesting toxic positivity, I'm just suggesting that a focus on our strengths and our worth can actually lead us to environments where we are more accepted and indeed, celebrated for the unique creatures that we are.

Meet my snail friend who lived in a terrarium I once had. I watched him grow from a tiny speck into a little guy I could actually photograph. At full size, he was probably .5cm. Never in a rush. He lived a diligent and simple life.

View attachment 125424

Nice snail. I'm glad you took the balanced approach to positivity, but it's just not where I'm at right now. I'm at the question of "Why is my life like this?", and this discussion is part of the answer. I don't want people with autism to think of themselves as actual snails. But I really think this is the view from outside; that you're a retreating thing that's seldom present.

What did the snail say when he rode on the turtle's back?
WHEE!

New Threads

Top Bottom