• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Social anxiety and too much serotonin.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Social Anxiety Tied to Overabundance of Serotonin | Psych Central News

Social Anxiety Tied to Overabundance of Serotonin
By Traci Pedersen
~ 1 min read
1-head-neuro-bigbig-SS-225x300.jpg

Individuals who suffer from social phobia tend to produce too much serotonin, according to a new study conducted by Finnish researchers at Uppsala University. In fact, the more serotonin they produce, the more anxious they become in social situations. These findings are in complete contrast to those of previous research which linked social anxiety to the production of too little serotonin.

Many people feel anxious in new social situations or are afraid to speak in front of an audience, but if the anxiety is persistent and severely lowers a person’s quality of life, it becomes a disability.

Since the belief up until now has been that social anxiety is triggered from too little serotonin, social phobia is commonly medicated using selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) medications. SSRIs increase the amount of available serotonin in the brain.

In the new study, published in the scientific journal JAMA Psychiatry, the research team, led by professors Mats Fredrikson and Tomas Furmark, used a PET camera and a special tracer to measure chemical signal transmission by serotonin in the brain.

They discovered that participants with social phobia produced too much serotonin in a part of the brain’s fear center, known as the amygdala. The more serotonin produced, the more anxious the patients were in social situations.

A nerve cell, which sends signals using serotonin, first releases serotonin into the space between the nerve cells. The nerve signal arises when serotonin attaches itself to the receptor cell. The serotonin is then released from the receptor and pumped back to the original cell.

“Not only did individuals with social phobia make more serotonin than people without such a disorder, they also pump back more serotonin. We were able to show this in another group of patients using a different tracer which itself measures the pump mechanism.

“We believe that this is an attempt to compensate for the excess serotonin active in transmitting signals,” says Andreas Frick, a doctoral student at Uppsala University Department of Psychology.

The novel findings are a giant leap forward when it comes to identifying changes in the brain’s chemical messengers in people who suffer from anxiety. Previous research has shown that nerve activity in the amygdala is higher in people with social phobia and thus that the brain’s fear center is over-sensitive. The new study shows that an overabundance of serotonin is part of the underlying reason.

“Serotonin can increase anxiety and not decrease it as was previously often assumed,” says Frick.

Source: Uppsala University

Interesting. Now do those with anxiety have more neurons in the fear centers of their brains to begin with, thus accounting for the over sensitivity?

If some do and some don't, that may help explain why some are better than others at naturally overriding the anxiety. It's a lot harder to fight biology than if you are just fighting thoughts and impulses that don't have a biological root.

So what about people taking SSRI medications? Doesn't that mean their medication would be making their symptoms worse?

If the belief until now has been that social anxiety is from too little serotonin, and based on that belief they gave medication to increase serotonin, that must mean that that belief is likely based on some decent empirical evidence.

I'm a bit sceptical of this finding as it suggests we've been screwing people up rather than helping them all this time, which isn't impossible I suppose.

I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks since high school, during those years I have also developed social anxiety and even talking to people triggers panic attacks! This is pretty accurate...or used to be. I've become better through using natural methods. I picked up the panic away program ( info here: Panic Away Review - My REAL Review of the Treatment System) and haven't looked back. Some days are better than other and some days are worse. But I'm glad I turned away from trusting in medicinal crap that wasn't really effective and was only temporary anyway. The natural ways are tougher...but they are better.

New Threads

Top Bottom