• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speech game

Kayla55

Can you say word cartrilege (5times)
Now say cartridge
And actually correctly pronounced Cartilage
I hate way people stare at me, for years I used cartrilege and took 3 times to try pronounce this mess, so for years I just avoided certain words.

This was my difficulty at school (as a girl) and something I did with my son.

Dictionary has many words that change n. a. Etc
e.g. pronounce fix
Fixated
Fixation
Fixative
Fixedly
Fixity

Which one tongue tied you?

I think I should share some other tips, but I need R50 (cheapest speech therapy in town)
Proceeds go towards me digging out my sons old file, and time

How many dictionary words can you identify as having word change causes difficulty pronouncing.

The most common suffixes are: -tion, -ity, -er, -ness, -ism, -ment, -ant, -ship, -age, -ery.

Which ending on which words took few sessions to pronounce?

preventable, adaptable, predictable, credible

probability, equality, abnormality, civility

distributor, investigator, translator, conductor

budgetary, planetary, military, honorary

memorialize, authorize, commercialize, advertise

Game for speech with children
(Get out sweets!!!) Probably bad idea, hyperactive.
Sort of gives you idea....I had to dig and dig out suffixes and try and find which words needed attention

Words Ending in ABLE and IBLE

note_btn.png

1. In most cases, when you use the suffix "able," the root word does not change.
accept​
acceptable
agree​
agreeable
break​
breakable
correct​
correctable
depend​
dependable
perish​
perishable
profit​
profitable
work​
workable
There are exceptions. These are two of the exceptions you will encounter frequently:
access​
accessible
exhaust​
exhaustible

2. Many times, when you add a suffix to a root word that ends with an "e" you drop the final "e." In most of these cases, the suffix used is "able" rather than "ible."
admire
admirable
compare
comparable
describe
describable
desire
desirable
excuse
excusable
presume
presumable
3. For words that end in "ce" or "ge," keep the final "e" and use the suffix "able."
manage
manageable
notice
noticeable
peace
peaceable
service
serviceable

4. When the part of the word that precedes the suffix is not a complete word, the suffix is most likely "ible.
credible
plausible
eligible
possible
indelible
susceptible
intelligible
tangible
legible
terrible
negligible
visible
There are exceptions to Note 4. Several words need the suffix "ible" even though the root word is a complete word that remains basically unchanged:
convince​
convincible
defense​
defensible
reduce​
reducible

5. If you know a word is from the same family as a word that ends in "tion" or "sion," use the suffix "ible" rather than "able."
admission
admissible
contraction
contractible
corruption
corruptible
permission
permissible
reduction
reducible

Click on the line with a misspelled word.

New Threads

Top Bottom