• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spongebob Squarepants Syndrome ?

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
Well, it's a certain kind of syndrome where the writers of a cartoon and the animation directors start botching up the series after a theatrical movie release, which started with the Spongebob cartoon.

After the movie, the series started to go downhill and if you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out the Animated Atrocities videos on Youtube. It's beginning to become contagious and I guess the writers of the popular and longest running T.v. ever, The Simpsons, have it. Season 20 wasn't really any spectacular and I noticed that Lisa Simpson has changed and that plot holes are appearing.

Do you think there's a laziness in writing or that maybe the writers of The Simpsons decided to copy the same writers from Spongebob Squarepants ?

I think said syndrome is also referred to as "jumping the shark". It's that point in the continuity of a tv show where it just goes downhill, often because it ended up with something overly ridiculous. It's hard for writers to top that or get a grasp of normalcy back in said shows.

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I couldn't tell you if SBSP is going downhill. I've watched about 1 season of it (and the first movie) and I've already found that I've seen enough.As for the Simpsons. I think they're living on legacy now. The simpsons was fun until somewhere after the first decade. Now The Simpsons is a brand, a name and just as important a certain "cartoon style". Yes, some newer episodes might be jems, but compared to what it used to be... not even close.

I think said syndrome is also referred to as "jumping the shark". It's that point in the continuity of a tv show where it just goes downhill, often because it ended up with something overly ridiculous. It's hard for writers to top that or get a grasp of normalcy back in said shows.

Jumping the shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I couldn't tell you if SBSP is going downhill. I've watched about 1 season of it (and the first movie) and I've already found that I've seen enough.As for the Simpsons. I think they're living on legacy now. The simpsons was fun until somewhere after the first decade. Now The Simpsons is a brand, a name and just as important a certain "cartoon style". Yes, some newer episodes might be jems, but compared to what it used to be... not even close.

I wouldn't bother watching them now as they sold out big time to Apple and is constantly plugging Apple products into their cartoons :/

Jumping the shark must refer to that point of a show were the writers are completely bone dried of ideals or new ones had came aboard on the show and don't really get it :/

Maybe The Simpsons are being subtle about lampooing culture and I'm missing it because I'm sort of out of touch with culture now-a-days :/

SBSP's writers had made certain innocent and idiotic characters into jerks and psychotic sadists with really dark jokes about pain, suicide and death :|

Well, for me the simpsons is even weirder, considering I'm only marginally connected to contemporary popculture. Obviously internet trends will catch on since I"m online a lot, but in Europe we often have a bit of a delay when it comes to popculture stuff through regular channels. In the past albums sometimes got released way later, movies don't even come out here and go straight to video, stuff like that. And still now, unless you're going to torrent stuff, you're kinda missing out parts if you just stick to what's on television and "legal" channels.

Not to mention that some US brands aren't even known here, which is why references to such things kinda fail here.

What often happens with shows is that they get new writers and that sometimes is what causes it to take a weird direction.

On the other hand, shows that go on for a while eventually "get with the time". Society as a whole has changed over years as well. That's especially significant with cellphones and internet in the past 15 years. You do need to reflect this on your product if you're lampooning and spoofing popculture. The fact that cartoons might have gotten darker might have to do with the way society is changing as well.

The creator (and main writer for the show) left Spongebob after the movie and wanted that to be the end. He was also a marine biologist and a lot of what went into the show was from what he had learned. The network decided to continue the show and all of the care and detail was gone when new people took over the show. The show became a lot more over the top and childish as a result.

The same with the simpsons in a way. Writers come and go, some are better than others. Add to that how many episodes they've done and the need to keep up with modern audiences, it's hard to keep coming up with new material for so long without a drop in quality and it's even harder when the show routinely changes style.

I've noticed the same thing is happening with the Fairly Oddparents, which is sad because its one of my favorite tv shows.

New Threads

Top Bottom