• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Startled... Deep focus...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I just spent all day at a very large classic car show, 370 photos later :oops:

I also have a process of cataloging all my car photos, and I prefer to do it almost immediately after the show, when my memory is still fresh

And when I take that many photos in one day it takes time

So... A friend of mine calls me tonight, and I was/I am super busy with essentially data entry based on the photos... And I was so deep in focus it literally startled me, then I did pick up the phone and responded with frustration, something that happens frequently enough with me, admittedly I could have just not answered as I know who it was who called...

I need to learn how to deal with this situation better, or situations like this that happen frequently enough... Maybe I need to learn to not always answer the phone... I pretty much immediately apologize to my friend when I do this...

I don't idle well. If I am conscious and not driving I am doing something, and with my interests there never seems enough time to get to everything even though I'm retired now. Even in the restroom, I am reading something on my phone, or working a crossword.

So basically every time the phone rings, it startles and usually angers me. I want to get back to what I was doing, and it's difficult to fully engage in the call, especially if someone just called to pass the time or tell me something currently irrelevant to me.

I have considered not answering, as you mention, but then calls/messages pile up and I find myself having to wade through several of them at once.

If you find a good way of managing interruptions, please let us all know.

Sometimes when I get snapped out of hyperfocus I have to genuinely reorient myself. Maybe that's essentially what's going on? I've definitely had to apologize for my reactions in the same way.

Phones can be extremely annoying all by themselves, though. I've been known to keep mine on silent pretty much 24/7, even in times where it would be better for it to at least ring and ignore other alerts. Otherwise, it might drive me insane

Sometimes when I get snapped out of hyperfocus I have to genuinely reorient myself. Maybe that's essentially what's going on? I've definitely had to apologize for my reactions in the same way.

Phones can be extremely annoying all by themselves, though. I've been known to keep mine on silent pretty much 24/7, even in times where it would be better for it to at least ring and ignore other alerts. Otherwise, it might drive me insane

That sounds about right...

New Threads

Top Bottom