• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stem cell treatments, anyone tried?

All-Rounder

No fear of Depths and great fear of Shallow living
V.I.P Member
"At least two key-action mechanisms of stem cells could be useful for ASD therapy: paracrine effect (the secretome tool: cytokines, chemokines, and growth factors released by stem cells and responsible of repair/restoration of injured tissues) and immunomodulatory properties.22 ASDs show immune system abnormalities and strong proinflammatory cytokine production.

These studies also report significant encouraging positive effects in relief of ASD symptoms (a part of the work of Chez et al,92 as mentioned earlier, where the authors claim only for a trend of amelioration) and advocate for the use of cellular therapy in ASDs. However, to date, only five clinical trials have been performed (Table 2) with several differences among them (study design, subjects enrolled, cellular types, route of administration, outcome measures), which will require further examinations."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6204871/
On a media platform heavily used in my country it's the most popular thing with parents asking for funds for their children.

"At least two key-action mechanisms of stem cells could be useful for ASD therapy: paracrine effect (the secretome tool: cytokines, chemokines, and growth factors released by stem cells and responsible of repair/restoration of injured tissues) and immunomodulatory properties.22 ASDs show immune system abnormalities and strong proinflammatory cytokine production.

These studies also report significant encouraging positive effects in relief of ASD symptoms (a part of the work of Chez et al,92 as mentioned earlier, where the authors claim only for a trend of amelioration) and advocate for the use of cellular therapy in ASDs. However, to date, only five clinical trials have been performed (Table 2) with several differences among them (study design, subjects enrolled, cellular types, route of administration, outcome measures), which will require further examinations."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6204871/
On a media platform heavily used in my country it's the most popular thing with parents asking for funds for their children.
I did not read the whole article, but it looks to me mostly speculative, in that stem cells could possibly replace some of the missing brain links that we lack. It may lead to something, but at this point, it doesn't seem like there is solid evidence one way or the other. Is this another attempt to "cure" autism, or do they really think they can help us overcome our difficulties. I, for one, do not want a cure if it will fundamentally change who I am and how I think.

I have a problem with the tiredness the constant oxidation of my brain and I wish it could be repaired because I don't have any support and I want more independence to where I can be actively involved in my life in an effective way. I would like to know more socially as well without so much work and forgetting what I learn.

I would be concerned even with funding these therapies would be hard to obtain, expensive, not local. And it sounds like the effects are temporary, but I would like to experience a different way of living life.

Some people truly are desperate, uncertain about the future and I wish we could have it easier. I'm tired of the bullying and yelling at me when the staff of various bureaus are communicating with me, the assumption that I am wrong and they are right.

If I had to go to school again I would like it to be a better experience. But the research is still on the way.

I would really not want to receive the desire to have kids though.

Last edited:
I had a good friend. An older gentleman. He was very kind and upright. He developed cancer. His medical team recommended stem cell transplants.

He researched what fetal stem cells were. After researching about how abortions were performed, he became strongly opposed to the use of fetal stem cells.

He learned of a medical center in Mexico, staffed by American doctors, for American expats. They used cutting edge technology that was too expensive in America, but affordable in Mexico, and some treatments that weren't yet approved by the FDA, but were showing good results in cancer care.

At this clinic, they took his bone marrow, and grew his own stem cells, and administered transplants using his own stem cells.

I thought that was really cool. I had never heard of anything like that before he went down to Mexico for care.

I had a good friend. An older gentleman. He was very kind and upright. He developed cancer. His medical team recommended stem cell transplants.

He researched what fetal stem cells were. After researching about how abortions were performed, he became strongly opposed to the use of fetal stem cells.

He learned of a medical center in Mexico, staffed by American doctors, for American expats. They used cutting edge technology that was too expensive in America, but affordable in Mexico, and some treatments that weren't yet approved by the FDA, but were showing good results in cancer care.

At this clinic, they took his bone marrow, and grew his own stem cells, and administered transplants using his own stem cells.

I thought that was really cool. I had never heard of anything like that before he went down to Mexico for care.
I was fascinated by adult stem cells because the first time I heard of stem cells there was this idea if you're an adult they can no longer obtain stem cells from you, and from the time you're a baby your family would have to pay a lot of money for your stem cells to be maintained alive for years and years in rare special clinics with this new technology.

With the current state of this technology, the risk is too high. They can e.g. transform into bone even though they were initially fat, but they received signals that we don't quite know yet. Bad idea to put stem cells into crucial organs like the brain.

I know a couple of older men who had their own stem cells from belly fat injected into their knees to improve flexibility and rebuild cartilage. Both said that the procedure initially helped them but both subsequently had knee replacement surgery.

The idea of using stem cells to alter brains is too Frankensteinish for me. Maybe one day it will provide a useful therapy for something or the other in a neurological sense but it's too experimental to use at this point.

Due to my current multifactored challenges, I was thinking, I'd welcome something that could correct my executive functioning. But not so much I want someone fooling around with my brain.

New Threads

Top Bottom