• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Streaming services

thejuice

V.I.P Member
Did people throw out their DVDs too soon? Too many streaming services which have a load of shows I don't want to watch !!

Nope, I'm keeping my DVDs; when a streaming service can take down a film/show whenever they want (especially since you're effectively renting the show/film), it's better to keep your physical media on hand.

I keep my favorite shows on DVD, then I know they are always available and no one can censor them or mess with them.

Last edited:
That's why maintaining at least one widescreen tv that defaults to 1080p and a DVD player on a computer at any given time is so important to me.

So I can continue to watch my 400-some odd DVD collection. Toss them? No way. I'd wager at least 60% of them represent movies and tv shows that I still cannot access through streaming media, whether I'm willing to pay for it or not.

I keep my favorite shows on DVD, then I know they are always available and no one can censor them or mess with them.
I would never get rid of physical media either.
I recently rewatched a movie I had seen in the 1980s, and they had removed a scene an cut things from another.

I would never get rid of physical media either.
I recently rewatched a movie I had seen in the 1980s, and they had removed a scene an cut things from another.
I love physical media, but only have so much space. Media fits more compactly on a hard drive. My current goal is to spend more time outside and less in front of screens.

Did people throw out their DVDs too soon? Too many streaming services which have a load of shows I don't want to watch !!
Not only do I still have my DVD's, when I purchased my most recent gaming console I specifically bought the model with a drive.

I'm a fan of streaming services, I think they have a place. But more so for the stuff I want to watch commercial free but would never want to buy a DVD of. For me the DVD stands in it's own right because of all the extras. Alternate endings, bloopers, making of features, and all the different commentary tracks that you can have. The commentary tracks for me are by far the thing missing the most from streaming.

The directors commentary for the move Tropic Thunder is one of the most amazing things ever. The movie on it's own is hilarious, but it's 10 times better when you have the commentary running. This isn't a spoiler but in the movie Robert Downey Jr plays an Actor playing a role in a movie being made. And in the movie he comments as the Actor character that he always stays "in character" until he's finished recording the dvd commentary. So on the dvd commentary for the entirety of it Downey stays true to that and is doing it as character from the movie and only switches out of it and back to being himself for the very end of it. So he's going on as the character from the movie but all the other actors on the commentary are being their actual selves. It's a very strange yet hilarious thing to hear as you watch the movie.

I still have all of my DVDs, although I did throw away most of the DVD cases. I have a couple thousand DVDs large binders on my living room bookshelf.

I do regret getting rid of most of my VHS anime collection, though. I do a lot of buying streaming movies on VUDU for the convenience but I also still occasionally buy a new BluRay or 4K disc.

My cable company just added Paramount+ and Disney+....so I've been enjoying seeing a lot more interesting tv shows and movies lately. Guess I should dust off some of my DVDs!

@FayetheAspie : I can finally see all the seasons of "The Chosen"....:)

My cable company just added Paramount+ and Disney+....so I've been enjoying seeing a lot more interesting tv shows and movies lately. Guess I should dust off some of my DVDs!

@FayetheAspie : I can finally see all the seasons of "The Chosen"....:)
So they show "The Chosen" on those? I originally saw them on the app and then switched to DVDs.

There are currently 4 seasons out and a fifth one that has not been released yet. I keep hearing that there will be 7 and that there will be 8 so I suppose time will tell whether it ends up with 7 or 8 seasons.

New Threads

Top Bottom