• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temples and Synagogues use in the Bible

Rachie

I had some questions myself about Temples and Synagogues in the Bible and I thought it best in the end to do my own research. I researched this as I was interested and wanted to learn. I will share with you what I researched and learnt below if anyone might be interested in this topic as well. It was a bit of a game of lining things up, what took place where. If there are any errors please do not hesistant on pointing them out, so we can all learn. I have been a bit busy with form filling but had this saved since summer. It is quite recent. I have a post I need to research first, but this one first.
Hope you are well

Historically, in keeping with custom Jesus also attended synagogue on the Sabbath to worship and honour his Father (Luke 4:16). Prayer, preaching, teaching (Mark 1: 21-22), healing (Mark 1 23-28) (Luke 4: 33-35), scripture reading and gatherings (Acts 13: 14-16) (Acts 13: 42-44) took place on the Sabbath in synagogue. The Temple and the synagogue shared responsibility for worship until the Temple was destroyed around 70 AD in Jerusalem. Features of worship at the Temple such as the baking of the bread of the Presence which was to be shared by priests on the Sabbath was performed in the Temple.

The inner Temple could only be used by priests and Levites. Levites where responsible for many of the supportive roles and care-taking roles in the Temple. In the Temple the Holy of Holies was a Holy meeting point with God's Divine Presence that would be accessed by the high priest once a year during Yom Kippor. Jesus and the apostles also used the Temple for aspects of worship. Believers of God could visit the Temple courtyards to offer physical atonement and pray, but not gather as a community to worship. Synagogue worship which largely centred around worshiping the Word of God (liturgy) in different forms. These characteristics impacted on Christian churches when they were established. Healing was performed on the Sabbath in the synagogue by Jesus. This brought Jesus to the attention of Jewish religious leaders ( Luke 13: 14-17) for not upholding the commandment of rest. Jesus was not a law breaker in not upholding the rule of rest, but he brought forward a new logical conclusion.

As Christians Jesus became the embodiment for our atonement. Over time it became customary to move from homes (Acts 2: 46) and hidden places to break bread and share the Eucharist (the spiritual body and blood of Christ) in church buildings (or modern day Christian assemblies).
Paul would debate in the Temple with Jesus. Jesus was more than worthy to take the Bread of Presence. It is not known to my knowledge if he did though. The Eucharist became our new everlasting Bread of Presence as Christians.

There are so many codes in bible, it's amazing to see how codes link, if you interested in numbers.
Thank you, I do like numbers and lining things up. I got such a startle when I did my autism test with the ADOS to see all the frogs and start counting them...epic.

Moving on. I heard this recently. I cannot say it if it is really true though. This preacher said just last week that the High Priest used to go in at Yom Kippor and they could die in there and might not come back out from the experience. I was thinking of rescus or what, but that is surely before the time.

Last edited:
Anything that I say here is from Jewish sources, as I know little of Christian teachings.

The area of the Temple reserved for the actual service was only accessible to the Priests. Levites were banned there as well as the Israelites and Gentiles.

It's interesting that the Temple Mount itself contained several synagogues. I don't know why they existed. When the High Priest was to read publicly from the Torah on Yom Kippur, the scroll was brought from one of those synagogues.

The baking of the Bread did not supersede the Sabbath restrictions on doing work, so they were baked on Friday. On the Sabbath, last week's loaves were removed and eaten, with the fresh ones placed on the Table.

When a Festival fell on Friday, the loaves were baked two days before placement, on Thursday. The only two-day holiday in Israel is the New Year (Rosh Hashana). It will be next week on Thursday and Friday. If that happened in Temple times, Wednesday was the baking day, which meant that they weren't eaten until ten days later. Two of the miracles involved with the Bread was that they remained completely fresh, and that eating just a bit would make a Priest satisfied.

Jews definitely did come en masse for prayer at the Temple. Another miracle there was that they were packed tightly together, but each person had plenty of space when it came time for prostration on the floor.

In the days of Jesus, a large percentage of Jews did not know how to say the prescribed prayers, as prayer books weren't available. This is why the Prayer Leader - even until today - repeats the prayers out loud after the congregation says them quietly.

New Threads

Top Bottom