• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thanks for the birthday wishes

Pats

V.I.P Member
Which brings up an interesting topic. Do you hate having the birthday song sung to you while you stand there not knowing what to do, where to put your hands, etc? I'm home sick today - thank goodness. lol But I do enjoy listening to the grandkids sing happy birthday on videos sent via text or whatever.
And phone calls and once they get past the happy birthday you have no idea what to say.
This evening my granddaughter called saying happy birthday then had nothing else to say and I always struggle to talk to them on the phone because they are quiet and I have to try to drag out more conversation and it's hard. In person you can just sit there quietly, look at them and smile. :) So I finally get her off the phone and her 3 year old brother plays with the phone and keeps calling me back. Granddaughter picks the phone up and says why was I still on the phone and I say because Kobe keeps calling me back. Happened several times then finally my daughter realized it and got the phone, talked for a minute and must have put her phone up. But my phone was still going crazy with the rest of my kids suddenly texting me and I'm like, "arghhhhh".
You know, maybe it's the younger three kids getting even with me for years of stuff by putting me on the phone with the little ones - I'm sure they remember how I used to say I hated when my daughter in law would do that when those kids were barely talking. lol
I do appreciate all the birthday wishes. But I also have to wonder on a forum full of people that don't like being acknowledged and centered out why they have a big blue banner saying It's my birthday. LOL
Reminder - this post is meant to be funny and said in an upbeat tone. :)

I don't typically mind it; though I do find it cringy when you're at a restaurant and the servers come out and sing it to you (such as Boston Pizza)

I don't typically mind it; though I do find it cringy when you're at a restaurant and the servers come out and sing it to you (such as Boston Pizza)
Oh there's a Mexican restaurant here that they put a sombrero on your head and move it back and forth (with your head in it) as they sing. (I would flat out refuse to go there on my birthday.) ikes

Oh there's a Mexican restaurant here that they put a sombrero on your head and move it back and forth (with your head in it) as they sing. (I would flat out refuse to go there on my birthday.) ikes

Well, that sounds like a fun time.... (not)

hopefully the food's worth getting your noggin tossed about :P

I sing the song with them, to myself!

I always just copy the other person/people when I don't know what to say!

"Everyone thank Alex!" (for being the pianist)

Me and everyone, clapping: "Thank you, Alex!"

It's never done anything but make people laugh, and it makes me more comfortable, so win-win-win!

It's three wins because my win counts as two!

I've only had the birthday servers in a restaurant come out and sing, bring balloons and a piece of cake
with a candle on it one time.
I was 25 and with a much older man.
When the male waiter gave me the balloons, he looked at my boyfriend and asked if I was his daughter.
It stroked my ego, but did nothing for his!

My next long term relationship was with an even older man who was a retired drummer from a band.
He always arranged private birthday dinner and cake at his house.
He would start playing and singing Happy Birthday to me as soon as I walked in the front door.
Those were good Birthday years. :)

Birthdays make me cringe anyway. Birthdays at work are a living nightmare with all the fuss and screeching that goes on. Give me low key birthday every time.

I'm quite happy to let my birthday pass without anyone knowing, I won't even let my best friend know and he bugs me about, we're still good friends...

One of my theories is that when you get married, especially when you have children, that you can't hide the birthday because young children love their birthday... I've been single my entire life into my mid-40's so it's easy to hide my birthday... One of my co-workers, a single man in his mid-50's is similar to me in that he doesn't care about his birthday

But this year for the first time in many years, I spent my birthday with a friend I have been casually dating with, I don't know what came over me but I told her my birthday :p I just don't dare tell my best friend, he's been poking at me for many years!

I do appreciate all the birthday wishes. But I also have to wonder on a forum full of people that don't like being acknowledged and centered out why they have a big blue banner saying It's my birthday. LOL
Yes - exactly. @Nitro Is there no way to disable this banner??? I appreciate that people are being friendly, but I'm the sort of person who does not like attention and I'd much rather this was private. I can't even change the date to a previous day to avoid the banner arrrghhh!!

Yes - exactly. @Nitro Is there no way to disable this banner??? I appreciate that people are being friendly, but I'm the sort of person who does not like attention and I'd much rather this was private. I can't even change the date to a previous day to avoid the banner arrrghhh!!

I made a note of the day.

There will be an annual parade.....

When I joined the forum, and set my preferences/settings, I remember having the ability to keep my date of birth private, as I don't like to draw attention to myself, either. If I had known that you don't care for the attention, I, definitely, would have refrained from wishing you a happy birthday. I suppose, Ive assumed that, if there is a birthday banner, the person would want their birthday to be acknowledged. Not that I make a point of wishing people a happy birthday, but, you are different, in that, Ive gotten to know you, or, at least have associated with you to a fair extent, through music, and I like you, so it seemed natural to me, to do.

I don't recall the exact section that the birthday visibility feature can be deactivated, but, I will go have a look and will return to let you know. :herb:

edit: click on your profile photo> click privacy> scroll down to 'Birth Date Privacy'> uncheck both boxes (day and month/year)> scroll down to 'save settings'.

I hope you had a nice day! : )

Last edited:
When I joined the forum, and set my preferences/settings, I remember having the ability to keep my date of birth private, as I don't like to draw attention to myself, either. If I had known that you don't care for the attention, I, definitely, would have refrained from wishing you a happy birthday. I suppose, Ive assumed that, if there is a birthday banner, the person would want their birthday to be acknowledged. Not that I make a point of wishing people a happy birthday, but, you are different, in that, Ive gotten to know you, or, at least have associated with you to a fair extent, through music, and I like you, so it seemed natural to me, to do.

I don't recall the exact section that the birthday visibility feature can be deactivated, but, I will go have a look and will return to let you know. :herb:

edit: click on your profile photo> click privacy> scroll down to 'Birth Date Privacy'> uncheck both boxes (day and month/year)> scroll down to 'save settings'.

I hope you had a nice day! : )
Thanks :) I do have the 'Show day and date of birth' boxes unchecked, but I think it makes no difference, it has to be done by an admin. They have a "birthday group" box that only they have access to checked for the blue banner and the default seems to be that each member is in this group and receives a ble banner unless they state otherrwise. So if anyone else prefers not to have the blue banner and prefers this to be kept private, they should contact staff to let them know. I think that the blue banner on an autism site is a bad idea, it should be up to each member whether they want to have their birthday announced publically or not.

Edit: Why don't the privacy settings work?

Last edited:
Thanks :) I do have the 'Show day and date of birth' boxes unchecked, but I think it makes no difference, it has to be done by an admin. They have a "birthday group" box that only they have access to checked for the blue banner and the default seems to be that each member is in this group and receives a ble banner unless they state otherrwise. So if anyone else prefers not to have the blue banner and prefers this to be kept private, they should contact staff to let them know. I think that the blue banner on an autism site is a bad idea, it should be up to each member whether they want to have their birthday announced publically or not.

Edit: Why don't the privacy settings work?
Interesting. Thanks for mentioning that, and you're welcome, of course! I was here for a bit on my birthday, in January, and the banner did not appear, thankfully, but I assumed it was due to making sure the boxes were unchecked. I had not made a request to a moderator, prior. If you uncheck both boxes, but the banner still appears, then, indeed, there must be a glitch because it specifically states that leaving the boxes unchecked will hide all of that information, and the birthday banner, blatantly, does the opposite. Haven't read the information in the link you posted, as of yet, but will definitely be making a request to a moderator to cover tracks/ for the future. : )

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom