• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The new kid

TiaDefiant

I decided to join as I haven't found many places I can talk about my Asperger's in a safe place. Most of the places I've seen are for parents of autistic kids, and I find those places a bit ableist as I get people correcting my experiences when they don't understand those experiences personally.

I have a chronic lung disability too, I've had since I was born which I have to deal with along with being neuroatypical. I was diagnosed with Asperger's a year ago. Looking back on my childhood, the diagnoses makes a lot of sense since there were many key factors that if I'd been a child now would have been diagnosed . I also feel that finally being diagnosed as being on the spectrum has helped me better understand myself, and not feel like such a failure when I have issues like anxiety, or "weird" behaviors like humming and hand flapping.

I don't leave my house very often as I just don't like people, and even though most people don't even know I have Asperger's as I pretend really well, it's exhausting trying to pretend to be ok. I guess I always thought 'fake it till you make it'.

I love spending time around animals though, as they are much easier to understand than people. I have a 11yr old service dog (he's now retired), 2 cats, and two rabbits. I foster rabbits for a rescue. I'm also a professional commission artist, and I love doing different crafts like knitting, and making custom toys. I'm married, and we've been together for 3yrs.

My husband is neuro-typical, and sometimes has a hard time understanding why I do some of the things I do but he's fairly understanding. He often has a hard time understanding that I wont ever get better, just manage my condition. He is far more understanding of my lung illness, but the Asperger's is still tough for him to get.
Foser bunny.png My foster bunny Barty (I hope he finds someone special to adopt him)
53055604_10213279345834702_8977390429360095232_n.jpg Sadie my bunny, and Gigi cuddling.

I decided to join as I haven't found many places I can talk about my Asperger's in a safe place. Most of the places I've seen are for parents of autistic kids, and I find those places a bit ableist as I get people correcting my experiences when they don't understand those experiences personally.

I have a chronic lung disability too, I've had since I was born which I have to deal with along with being neuroatypical. I was diagnosed with Asperger's a year ago. Looking back on my childhood, the diagnoses makes a lot of sense since there were many key factors that if I'd been a child now would have been diagnosed . I also feel that finally being diagnosed as being on the spectrum has helped me better understand myself, and not feel like such a failure when I have issues like anxiety, or "weird" behaviors like humming and hand flapping.

I don't leave my house very often as I just don't like people, and even though most people don't even know I have Asperger's as I pretend really well, it's exhausting trying to pretend to be ok. I guess I always thought 'fake it till you make it'.

I love spending time around animals though, as they are much easier to understand than people. I have a 11yr old service dog (he's now retired), 2 cats, and two rabbits. I foster rabbits for a rescue. I'm also a professional commission artist, and I love doing different crafts like knitting, and making custom toys. I'm married, and we've been together for 3yrs.

My husband is neuro-typical, and sometimes has a hard time understanding why I do some of the things I do but he's fairly understanding. He often has a hard time understanding that I wont ever get better, just manage my condition. He is far more understanding of my lung illness, but the Asperger's is still tough for him to get.
View attachment 52614 My foster bunny Barty (I hope he finds someone special to adopt him)
View attachment 52615 Sadie my bunny, and Gigi cuddling.
Welcome, I am new to this also, My son has the Asperger's and I have been trying to understand more about it, and so far this is the only Forum who actually talks and discusses things. Even though I do not have Asperger's I find the people here so nice and friendly and I am learning so much. Love your bunnies, I have a lionhead but he is disabled... would love to adopt another one too.

Welcome Tia!
Glad to see you join. This is a good place with a lot of people to talk with.
I always loved many pets too. The bunnies are so cute. :)

Welcome, I am new to this also, My son has the Asperger's and I have been trying to understand more about it, and so far this is the only Forum who actually talks and discusses things. Even though I do not have Asperger's I find the people here so nice and friendly and I am learning so much. Love your bunnies, I have a lionhead but he is disabled... would love to adopt another one too.

I foster lots of bunnies, and we get disabled bunnies constantly. One of our disabled buns is named Geordi LePaws and he's completely blind, another is named Thor and he's missing an eye. I find animals much easier to understand than humans. I find a lot of people with aspergers are like that- especially kids. When I was a kid, I could understand dogs and cat behavior much easier than humans.

I foster lots of bunnies, and we get disabled bunnies constantly. One of our disabled buns is named Geordi LePaws and he's completely blind, another is named Thor and he's missing an eye. I find animals much easier to understand than humans. I find a lot of people with aspergers are like that- especially kids. When I was a kid, I could understand dogs and cat behavior much easier than humans.
I think my son is that way also, he has a cat (about 8 or 9 now) we adopted her from the pound when she was only like 6 weeks old. and that cat is so mean, I can't believe it. No other animals like this cat! You cannot pet this cat, it will hiss and bite you. I forget because I have two cats who are really friendly and they talk when you talk to them, they want attention, when I am over at his house I tend to forget that I cannot pet that cat and she will bite me. But for HIM, she is putty in his hands, he can do anything to her, she sits on his shoulders or on his lap if he is on the computer. Once when he lived with me he adopted another cat so he put her out of his room and she would go in the laundry and get one of his shirts and pull it to his closed door and lay on it. She just loves him. and he loves cats. When I got my bunny, he was at a garage sale and I really didn't want another pet, but just the way he kept coming over to me and looking at me, I went home and just thought about him and so the next day I went there and got him, took him home and a few days later he went lethargic, I took him to the vet and she said maybe he got some bunny disease, I can't remember the name of it. and gave him a shot, I got him home and noticed little worms crawling on him, so I said he has worms, and I brought him back to her and she said he had fly strike, they had all these little bunnies in cages outside. she said he won't make it probably die tomorrow, well I got all of them out of his skin and carried him around all day, I slept with him and fed him with an eye dropper and he made it, she told me if he makes it I will consider him a miracle bunny. he lost the use of his legs, but he is so sweet. and he fought so hard to live. So now he is the worlds most spoiled bunny! lol

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom