• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The parable of 'The Blind Men and the Elephant' and the Autism Spectrum.

MROSS

Not sure where to post this. I chose the 'Friends, Family, and Social Skills Forum.' - as the parable of 'The Six Blind Men and the Elephant' most commonly presents challenges for adults on the Autism Spectrum in social situations.

From my personal experiences, describing the parable of 'The Six Blind Men and the Elephant' to people who knew this parable yielded that "it is what it is" response as to what adults on the Autism Spectrum may commonly experience. Any specific experiences to post?

The moral of the parable of 'The Blind Men and the Elephant' is highlighted in purple in the first paragraph block of LINK.

LINK: Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia.

Not sure where to post this. I chose the 'Friends, Family, and Social Skills Forum.' - as the parable of 'The Six Blind Men and the Elephant' most commonly presents challenges for adults on the Autism Spectrum in social situations.

From my personal experiences, describing the parable of 'The Six Blind Men and the Elephant' to people who knew this parable yielded that "it is what it is" response as to what adults on the Autism Spectrum may commonly experience. Any specific experiences to post?

The moral of the parable of 'The Blind Men and the Elephant' is highlighted in purple in the first paragraph block of LINK.

LINK: Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia.
There are urgent imperatives for unity, and to come together as a body, with each part having differing gifts or specialties in order to apprehend a whole rather than its parts. This is among other beliefs which recur around the world, despite being separated by time and geography. The Golden rule is another, and it shows up everywhere.

I think the parable could also describe NT's understanding of autism. Many may understand bits and pieces, but rarely understand the whole picture. And some don't understand any of it or have misconceptions.

I think the parable could also describe NT's understanding of autism. Many may understand bits and pieces, but rarely understand the whole picture. And some don't understand any of it or have misconceptions.
I don't think anybody actually understands autism. If you ask me, it just means you lack a bunch of instincts, and maybe reflexes, and have to do a bunch of stuff by volition, and it makes you look bizarre to people, and they hate you. But that's just my experience.

I was thinking of matters more philosophical and universal than just what it is that is odd about us as individuals, though.

I don't think anybody actually understands autism. If you ask me, it just means you lack a bunch of instincts, and maybe reflexes, and have to do a bunch of stuff by volition, and it makes you look bizarre to people, and they hate you. But that's just my experience.

I was thinking of matters more philosophical and universal than just what it is that is odd about us as individuals, though.
The parable could probably be used to describe many different things. Since it is universal, I think it can be applied to many situations including NT's interpretation or understanding of autism.

The parable could probably be used to describe many different things. Since it is universal, I think it can be applied to many situations including NT's interpretation or understanding of autism.
You don't need to be understood, you need to be loved, and you're not going to get that from people who don't think you're a living thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom