• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Therapeutic Benefits of Laughter in Mental Health: A Theoretical Review

Jonn

V.I.P Member

Therapeutic Benefits of Laughter in Mental Health: A Theoretical Review​

Abstract​

In modern society, fierce competition and socioeconomic interaction stress the quality of life, causing a negative influence on a person's mental health. Laughter is a positive sensation, and seems to be a useful and healthy way to overcome stress. Laughter therapy is a kind of cognitive-behavioral therapies that could make physical, psychological, and social relationships healthy, ultimately improving the quality of life. Laughter therapy, as a non-pharmacological, alternative treatment, has a positive effect on the mental health and the immune system. In addition, laughter therapy does not require specialized preparations, such as suitable facilities and equipment, and it is easily accessible and acceptable. For these reasons, the medical community has taken notice and attempted to include laughter therapy to more traditional therapies. Decreasing stress-making hormones found in the blood, laughter can mitigate the effects of stress. Laughter decreases serum levels of cortisol, epinephrine, growth hormone, and 3,4-dihydrophenylacetic acid (a major dopamine catabolite), indicating a reversal of the stress response. Depression is a disease, where neurotransmitters in the brain, such as norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, are reduced, and there is something wrong in the mood control circuit of the brain. Laughter can alter dopamine and serotonin activity. Furthermore, endorphins secreted by laughter can help when people are uncomfortable or in a depressed mood. Laughter therapy is a noninvasive and non-pharmacological alternative treatment for stress and depression, representative cases that have a negative influence on mental health. In conclusion, laughter therapy is effective and scientifically supported as a single or adjuvant therapy.

I leaven my life with humour as much as possible, but what I really like about it is the way that laughter arises from an unexpected juxtaposition of ideas, and that can lead to people learning the value of new ideas, or the foolishness of old ones.

Therapeutic Benefits of Laughter in Mental Health: A Theoretical Review​

Abstract​

In modern society, fierce competition and socioeconomic interaction stress the quality of life, causing a negative influence on a person's mental health. Laughter is a positive sensation, and seems to be a useful and healthy way to overcome stress. Laughter therapy is a kind of cognitive-behavioral therapies that could make physical, psychological, and social relationships healthy, ultimately improving the quality of life. Laughter therapy, as a non-pharmacological, alternative treatment, has a positive effect on the mental health and the immune system. In addition, laughter therapy does not require specialized preparations, such as suitable facilities and equipment, and it is easily accessible and acceptable. For these reasons, the medical community has taken notice and attempted to include laughter therapy to more traditional therapies. Decreasing stress-making hormones found in the blood, laughter can mitigate the effects of stress. Laughter decreases serum levels of cortisol, epinephrine, growth hormone, and 3,4-dihydrophenylacetic acid (a major dopamine catabolite), indicating a reversal of the stress response. Depression is a disease, where neurotransmitters in the brain, such as norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, are reduced, and there is something wrong in the mood control circuit of the brain. Laughter can alter dopamine and serotonin activity. Furthermore, endorphins secreted by laughter can help when people are uncomfortable or in a depressed mood. Laughter therapy is a noninvasive and non-pharmacological alternative treatment for stress and depression, representative cases that have a negative influence on mental health. In conclusion, laughter therapy is effective and scientifically supported as a single or adjuvant therapy.
I use my favourite YouTube channel as asmr to relax and be able to fall asleep.

That channel has episodes that are hilariou, and the sound of them laughing helps me relax.

I also love the interactions between father and son, the natural humour between them.

It's very calming.

If I can get a laugh from a group, I always feel much safer and more accepted. Sometimes, I even resort to doing a parody of myself, so they can get the laughs out of their system, accept the situation as normal, and find the standard version of myself boring by comparison.

If I can get a laugh from a group, I always feel much safer and more accepted. Sometimes, I even resort to doing a parody of myself, so they can get the laughs out of their system, accept the situation as normal, and find the standard version of myself boring by comparison.
I got surprised when I'd say something that I thought was serious, and people would laugh and say "That's so funny." So I started trying to make them laugh.
I guess, like you said, if they laughed at my joke I felt more accepted. And if I made them laugh when I used pejorative humour about myself, I'd make them laugh with me rather than at me in a way... I'd make them think that they couldn't hurt me with their mean jokes, and slowly those mean jokes stopped.

I still get surprised by people thinking that what I said was funny, and want to scratch my head because I can't see what's so hilarious. But... 🤷🏻‍♀️
I hardly ever correct them anyway.

Me too. I was always a good talker and quick with the tongue, I have a motor mouth that sometimes works quicker than my brain and gets me in to trouble, but for the most part people find me likeable.

Me too. I was always a good talker and quick with the tongue, I have a motor mouth that sometimes works quicker than my brain and gets me in to trouble, but for the most part people find me likeable.
Let them think you're being funny on purpose... right? Better than make them feel offended 😬

My big problem is when I laugh at people in their face. I still haven't learned how to stop myself doing that when they say stupid things.

I also have trouble hearing people in crowded environments but I discovered that I don't have to listen if I'm the one doing all the talking. Just tip a few beers in and watch me go. :D

I also have trouble hearing people in crowded environments but I discovered that I don't have to listen if I'm the one doing all the talking. Just tip a few beers in and watch me go. :D
I don't like beer and can't drink because I get stomach pain.
I always try to be "invisible" in crowds, and to get away from them as quickly as possible.

Only during family reunions, when I feel forced to attend, do I also feel that I have to take part in the conversation, and it never goes well...

I guess, like you said, if they laughed at my joke I felt more accepted. And if I made them laugh when I used pejorative humour about myself, I'd make them laugh with me rather than at me in a way... I'd make them think that they couldn't hurt me with their mean jokes, and slowly those mean jokes stopped.
When I had less self-confidence, I used humour as a defense mechanism.
It worked brilliantly, but these days I it is more about the dopamine hit.
I am a joke junkie. :cool:

I don't like beer and can't drink because I get stomach pain.
I always try to be "invisible" in crowds, and to get away from them as quickly as possible.
I am a teetotaller, also, not because I have a problem with alcohol.
I just don't like the taste and the cost.

Before I found caffeine (Coca-Cola), I always tried to be "invisible", too.

New Threads

Top Bottom