• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To those employed: How to you spread your free days around the year?

AuroraBorealis

AuuuuuDHD
To those of you who are employed with a set number of free days per year: How do you choose to spread those days throughout the year?

I don't know how it works in your countries. Where I live, time where you're sick doesn't affect your regular free days, those things are separated. You have a set number of free days per year (I'll probably have 30, have to check again to be sure), and, usually, you plan all of your holidays for the next year at some point in the previous year. Like, I'd have to plan all of my free days for 2025 at some point during 2024, and get them approved by my employer. I don't yet know how it works if you want to change something later.

Since this is all new to me, I am wondering how you all do that. Do you take your free days as 1 or 2 large chunks in one year? Or do you spread them, taking only a few days at a time, to have some shorter free time more frequently?

I am thinking how to do it when planning it for the first time. I know that I'll need a break, a long weekend of 3 or 4 days, in a certain regularity, to recharge from work or to catch up on some things, with no traveling, just staying at home. To visit my family, I'll need at least a week, but then all of that free time period is taken up for family time, with nothing left to just be home and recharge. Once a year, a 2 or even 3 week long free time would be nice, to really get some rest after using e.g. the first week for a family visit. At some point in the year, I'd also like to go on a holiday with my partner.

It'll be quite a challenge to juggle all those things: Free time to just recharge at home, time for family visits, time to spend somewhere with my partner, time to see my partner's family, time to visit a friend. And, for all those things, dividing the free days into shorter and longer chunks of free time, somewhat evenly distributed throughout the year.

So, again, how do you people organize that? What are your recharging needs, and how do you accommodate them? Just to get some ideas and inspiration.
I am aware that excessive people-pleasing will result in me being stressed out and not gaining much from my free time. So I am trying to also get some perspective and to find middle ground between visiting/pleasing everyone, and allowing myself time to just stay home and rest.

I'd be grateful if we could not make this thread into a discussion of how many free days one has, and how the different employment systems work, or whether someone is "better" or "worse off". If someone would like to discuss things like that, please use a separate thread. Thank you in advance.

Standard by law in Australia is 20 days of paid Annual Leave per year, as well as 10 sick days. If we work a job that has regular overtime then we get paid an average for all the overtime shifts we'd miss out on while on holiday too, that's called Leave Loading.

You are obliged by law to take your allotted Annual Leave time off of work in Australia, it's illegal for an employer to pay you out for it instead.

I used to use most of my sick days but this depended on who I worked for and who I worked with, I considered it stress leave, and as long as I only used one day at a time I didn't need to provide a doctors note, just phone in in the morning and say I won't be in.

(I used to always use an excuse that related to bowel trouble, it was my way of keeping a little bit of honesty in there. What I was really saying is common Aussie vernacular that I'm not allowed to write in this forum but it loosely translates as "I'm very annoyed")

My annual leave I usually took in one week or two week chunks, depending on what I wanted to do. When I was in to snow skiing I always wanted time off in the middle of winter, or during summer I'd go somewhere nice for swimming and fishing.

Getting time off during school holidays is usually reserved for people that have kids, which is fair enough. Personally I preferred to work those times anyway and go on holidays when places were less crowded.

Last edited:
When I worked office jobs I got bank holidays off in UK. So in total it was 28 days off a year.

As a Carer, and now as a Support Worker I work the bank holidays unless I'm off on the rota. But they tend to fall on Monday's, and occasionally Friday's. Only time it's different is for Xmas and New Year's Day. For me, each week I have Wednesday's and Thursday's off in this job.

With this company I should have Christmas off, as the service users we support will spend Christmas with their families.

As for spreading holiday out - I try and take some every 4 to 6 weeks. Taking them in chunks sounds nice, but time flies by - so to only have 1 or 2 of those a year to look forward to seems silly. Whereas, every month or 1.5 months I have an extra day or 2 off.

When I worked office jobs it was easier as I'd just make a 3 or 4 day weekend out of it, but would also plan bits around bank holidays - so my year was full of holidays. In my Support Worker role I offered to work every weekend, as I prefer days off during the week; as everywhere is a lot quieter.

I don't use holiday time for holiday's. But I think that will change once the van is sold and I've renewed my passport.

Dug out an old calendar from a previous office job. Bearing in mind I had weekends off. As you can see I had holiday time off every 3 weeks or so throughout the year. I would hand my entire holiday request for the year as soon as holiday renewed. That way I knew my year ahead. I wasn't rigid, like if a colleague wanted to swap because they'd booked a holiday. So it worked really nicely for everyone on the team. Although people would often joke "You've got another day off?" Yep, because I balanced the year out nicely with lots of long weekends.

1730031681693.png

Ed

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom