• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ubuntu on Phones?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
I am watching this video that shows an OS called Ubuntu Touch that is being ran on a Google Pixel 3A, one of the only phones that is listed to have 100% compatibility with the OS. The OS is essentially replacing Android with a variant of Linux Ubuntu. I don't think anybody has even attempted to do this to an iPhone, as well. Although people have attempted to swap iOS with Android with varying degrees of success.

I wanted to run it, so I checked the devices list. Unfortunately, the phone I have (Samsung Galaxy S20 FE) isn't even listed on there, so I guess I'm out of luck in terms of compatibility. I may just jailbreak my Samsung S20.

For a while Fedora were also supplying a mobile phone version but it's gone back in to development for now, no finished product available. I'm curious to try it out.

There's a Reddit group for the Pinephone that has threads covering a lot of these scenarios, including Ubuntu Touch. So far as I can tell, problems abound with hardware, and compatibility. I've been interested in trying a Linux phone for years and perhaps we're closer to a workable solution than before, but I'm not sure.

Samsung phones are probably the worst to tinker with. Maybe something like a OnePlus will get you there, or you could always try one of the many Linux variants on a Ras Pi with a touchscreen or something (much cheaper, usually).

Old laptops can run Android, as a fun side note

Mobile Linux distros (not counting Android obviously) are one of those things that are interesting when I watch videos about them but they also feel like they're just destined to be stuck in the 'fun for hobbyists/tinkerers but not something most people will actually use as a daily driver instead of Android or iOS' position, for various reasons (mostly a lack of app support and supported devices).

Mobile Linux distros (not counting Android obviously) are one of those things that are interesting when I watch videos about them but they also feel like they're just destined to be stuck in the 'fun for hobbyists/tinkerers but not something most people will actually use as a daily driver instead of Android or iOS' position, for various reasons (mostly a lack of app support and supported devices).
People can get around the lack of app support via Waydroid. And the fact that it can run any Linux app, if I were to be masochistic enough to actually bother typing entire stories on a phone sized touch screen, I could theoretically just use the regular Linux version of Libre Office. I probably wouldn't be doing this sort of thing to my phone, though.

Apparently, certain distros are decent to tablet-ify.

Samsung phones are probably the worst to tinker with. Maybe something like a OnePlus will get you there, or you could always try one of the many Linux variants on a Ras Pi with a touchscreen or something (much cheaper, usually).

Old laptops can run Android, as a fun side note
I gave up trying to get my phone to actually let me put games on my micro SD card. The entire reason I even bought the SD card.

Why can't I just have root access out of the box?

Edit: I can get PPSSPP emulator to open ISOs from the SD card, but it still wants to load from internal by default despite my best effort at reconfiguring its settings.

Last edited:
People can get around the lack of app support via Waydroid. And the fact that it can run any Linux app, if I were to be masochistic enough to actually bother typing entire stories on a phone sized touch screen, I could theoretically just use the regular Linux version of Libre Office. I probably wouldn't be doing this sort of thing to my phone, though.

Apparently, certain distros are decent to tablet-ify.
I had a pre smartphone PDA with touchscreen. I did in fact write books on it. At the time, my job involved a lot of waiting on equipment. I don't idle well. So I would pull out the ipac and write.

I had a pre smartphone PDA with touchscreen. I did in fact write books on it. At the time, my job involved a lot of waiting on equipment. I don't idle well. So I would pull out the ipac and write.
It may just be me, but I just find typing more serious writing on touch screens to be really inconvenient. I think it may be a sensory thing because the lack of sensory feedback screws me over and prevents me from properly set the muscle memory for my phone's keyboard. I at times have considered buying keyboard attachments for my phone. If I needed to carry something portable for writing while on the go, I'd opt for a thinkpad instead.

It may just be me, but I just find typing more serious writing on touch screens to be really inconvenient. I think it may be a sensory thing because the lack of sensory feedback screws me over and prevents me from properly set the muscle memory for my phone's keyboard. I at times have considered buying keyboard attachments for my phone. If I needed to carry something portable for writing while on the go, I'd opt for a thinkpad instead.
It's a sensory thing for me as well...though more likely related to my OCD. The idea of smearing fingerprints over clear coated surfaces repels me.

I still recall the customer service person spending a half hour in my new car explaining how the infotainment system worked...watching her coat my new car surface with her slimy fingers!

Correct me if I'm wrong her, but I believe that not all apps are compatible with Waydroid and I've heard the way it works is that it basically just is running Android and, depending on the phone you have, that can cause a major performance hit because now your phone is running the Linux mobile OS, Waydroid (which itself is basically just running Android inside itself), and whatever Android app you wanna use through it.

And yeah the fact that mobile versions of Linux can just run regular desktop Linux programs is one of those things that feels like an advantage but they just suffer from the problem of 'desktop apps aren't designed for phone usage'.

I still recall the customer service person spending a half hour in my new car explaining how the infotainment system worked...watching her coat my new car surface with her slimy fingers!

I don't have OCD or anything but the replacement all the buttons and knobs in car dashboards in favor of just having a touchscreen needs to have stopped yesterday because it's just dangerous too.

Car with physical buttons:
- The driver will learn where the buttons are and can figure out how to do things like change the AC temperature, change the radio station, answer a call for hands-free, etc. without needing to take their eyes off the road because they will have tactile feedback and now like 'OK this is the knob that I turn to turn the AC temperature up and down, I press this button to answer a call and hang up, etc.'

Cars that just have touchscreens:
- Do I even need to explain that you don't have any tactile feedback with a touchscreen so you won't know what you're selecting unless you take your eyes off the road and how dangerous that is to do lol?

I don't have OCD or anything but the replacement all the buttons and knobs in car dashboards in favor of just having a touchscreen needs to have stopped yesterday because it's just dangerous too.

- The driver will learn where the buttons are and can figure out how to do things like change the AC temperature, change the radio station, answer a call for hands-free, etc. without needing to take their eyes off the road because they will have tactile feedback and now like 'OK this is the knob that I turn to turn the AC temperature up and down, I press this button to answer a call and hang up, etc.'

- Do I even need to explain that you don't have any tactile feedback with a touchscreen so you won't know what you're selecting unless you take your eyes off the road and how dangerous that is to do lol?

Points taken. Worse still when you consider the sum total of fancy lights in your face when driving at night, from not only the main LCD, but the entire dashboard and even the steering wheel. Too many visual distractions. Another reason I don't drive a lot at night.

Correct me if I'm wrong her, but I believe that not all apps are compatible with Waydroid and I've heard the way it works is that it basically just is running Android and, depending on the phone you have, that can cause a major performance hit because now your phone is running the Linux mobile OS, Waydroid (which itself is basically just running Android inside itself), and whatever Android app you wanna use through it.

And yeah the fact that mobile versions of Linux can just run regular desktop Linux programs is one of those things that feels like an advantage but they just suffer from the problem of 'desktop apps aren't designed for phone usage'.

Yeah, fair.

I think manufacturers are making things smart devices that definitely don't need to be. I don't need my oven to require an internet connection to function. I just need it bake things the way I want it to, and I want the stove cooktop to function as I expect it to, whether or not it is gas or electric. I just need a functioning product, not some over the top ridiculous piece of software that is yet another way for corporations to mine my personal data for no good reason. I don't care about the off-chance that my oven could theoretically play DOOM. I use an oven to bake, not do weird tech shenanigans.

And then when the display fails - some will, there's no way to control anything.

And then when the display fails - some will, there's no way to control anything.
Indeed. Even those little displays that aren't even touch screen that show the current song playing or the radio station or vehicle performance info sometimes fail, and that isn't even smart tech. Just very basic hardware and software. Thankfully, since it isn't smart tech, it is pretty easy to fix.

Analog knobs and normal, physical switches and buttons are objectively the best for vehicles.

I remember the Tesla used to have a feature where you could play Steam games from it, but they removed that feature because it is unnecessary, as it could only be used if the car is stationary.

It always amuses me to consider what I do in the event my "keyless entry" no longer works.

When I pull a key within the electronic fob to actually open the door. High Tech at its best.

It always amuses me to consider what I do in the event my "keyless entry" no longer works.

When I pull a key within the electronic fob to actually open the door. High Tech at its best.
I am starting to believe that ultra high tech shenanigans can just mostly stay in Sci-Fi. Honestly, I think people should be fine with the current level that many well-developed nations enjoy.

New Threads

Top Bottom