• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Unprofessional approach to known side effects.

Kayla55

Let's assume ASD as sensitivity more than disability, should doctor review known side effects of drugs prescribed and discuss risks with known asd patients?
How frequently is this relevant?

If doctor doesn't do this, should asd patients and parents start to consider this?

Just a thought, only a thought
In my humble, unprofessional opinion
Keep safe
Kayla no. 55

Let's assume ASD as sensitivity more than disability, should doctor review known side effects of drugs prescribed and discuss risks with known asd patients?
How frequently is this relevant?

If doctor doesn't do this, should asd patients and parents start to consider this?

Just a thought, only a thought
In my humble, unprofessional opinion
Keep safe
Kayla no. 55
I think any patient, with any condition that requires meds, should have an open and truthful discussion about side effects with their doctor.

Unfortunately, some doctors care more about pushing pills than about knowing what their patients are feeling

I think it should be taken into account, I get all the possible side effects or the known ones are much stronger for me to the point that I don't tolerate many medications. Many most people take without problems. Antibiotics are the only ones I haven't had issues with.

I think it should be taken into account, I get all the possible side effects or the known ones are much stronger for me to the point that I don't tolerate many medications. Many most people take without problems. Antibiotics are the only ones I haven't had issues with.
Have you ever gotten the "that medication doesn't cause that side effect" answer from a doctor, while you are holding the meds info paper that says that, what you are experiencing IS indeed a possible side effect?

I always feel so frustrated when they do that.

Have you ever gotten the "that medication doesn't cause that side effect" answer from a doctor, while you are holding the meds info paper that says that, what you are experiencing IS indeed a possible side effect?

I always feel so frustrated when they do that.
Nah, my side effects aren't in the information. They're not super outlandish though, they're not something that is an unreasonable side effect of a medication that affects a certain thing in the body, like pain of that body part or something that it affects going out of whack. But make daily functioning difficult and put medication use into question.

I had a similar problem with SSRIs, I felt a bit euphoric for the first few weeks but after that 50 years of a good sleep routine fell apart and most of my other good habits went with it and I ended up being depressed. When I complained to a doctor about that he told me flat out that those drugs don't work like that.

Since then I've found out that that reaction is common enough with autistic people that there's a genetic test we can take to see if we're going to have a bad reaction to them or not. I should never have listened to that stupid doctor, one of the worst decisions I ever made.

I take an SNRI for my narcolepsy, and it does indeed have a significant side effect, but it's not life-threatening, and way better than the several times a week rigid sleep paralysis.

Being young 'generally' means being healthier,
e.g. taking propan mist for young person doesn't really add up why need to remove stones, and my doctor didn't really test more than urine sample, assuming it was just small stones or pipes of gall bladder blocked (whatever) So Citra soda or cranberry juice is I think preferred recommendation for younger people.
Maybe in beginning you read side effects and after a while became careless as often not applicable. On the onset of symptom I quickly read it and it was lucky catch.

Mostly it's not to say that you will have side effect, it's to say if that occured, how would I feel, is there an alternative.
Also looking at asd bladder control issues and realising hey, the side effect sounds likely to be sensitivity.
In thread 'pick your poison' it's to have awareness of your child with ASD or yourself, and assess 'heavy preservatives' for generalised safety. If poll showed enough reactions to 'something' then perhaps prefer to have cautions acknowledged in asd community.

With allergies that are just plain food related, well if enough people have same allergies to same food, we can begin to decipher whether 'glutton intolerance' is something mother's should take note of in the future.

Black forest tea - senna
One tea produced side effects in bladder retention and now that I know morphine causes a jump in my heart beat, I'm aware of this
Heart disease: Senna can cause electrolyte disturbances and might make heart disease worse.
There were meds I never tried as I was scared of side effects, and the meds to interact side effects.
I hate it that doctors don't realise if you've had ear problems previously and need anti-biotics for infection that chances are you will need to stop by for histamine to get hearing back, so it's double bill!!
(not sure if it's related to add sensory issues or just my ear trouble)
can't remember name, many years ago but some anti-psychotic meds can leave you senseless, stiff (just can't live like that) again, it's only if you complain that give you meds to counter side-effect. I've seen patients at clinic on it, tend to pace up and down!!?

Meds with warnings for impair concentration, may have bad effect on ASD
Cough syrup has warning, mixed muscle relaxant is like can't even cross road without getting run over.
Harmless non prescriptions for hearing that leave you so high, you shouldn't leave the house!!

I think it's a great idea for them to discuss sensitivities. I think, unfortunately, they won't understand such sensitivities for that to happen. Not in most cases, anyway. Hopefully there are some good Autistic doctors out there.

I think it's a great idea for them to discuss sensitivities. I think, unfortunately, they won't understand such sensitivities for that to happen. Not in most cases, anyway. Hopefully there are some good Autistic doctors out there.
When you tell a doctor that you are scared of taking a new medication because of all the "funny" side effects you've had in the psdt, and they're response is "did you ever have a side effect to this medication?" 😖

That's when I want to question if their brains are working properly. If I had already have had a side effect to this medication, then I wouldn't be scared of taking it because it's something new... would I? I might be afraid because I already had a bad experience with it... but I certainly wouldn't fear it for being something new, would I?

I just want to cry and scream when stuff like that happens.

Never had that problem. My doctor goes over the most common side effects, and they give you a document listing all the possible side effects. It is up to you to read the list.

I get low blood pressure from a medication I'm taking, and in certain situations, it makes me unsteady. I already have good blood pressure so lowering it isn't helping anything.

Doc had told me this was a possibility. However, it is supposed to clear up. It was extremely unusual for it to continue to happen after I'd been taking it for so long. After the usual "Are you sure you're not dehydrated?" that everyone asks every time I mention it, we decided I'll not take the med if I'm expecting to exercise hard the next day. Otherwise, I'll put up with it because the benefits outweigh the costs. Caffeine and support hose have been suggested.

Never had that problem. My doctor goes over the most common side effects, and they give you a document listing all the possible side effects. It is up to you to read the list.

I get low blood pressure from a medication I'm taking, and in certain situations, it makes me unsteady. I already have good blood pressure so lowering it isn't helping anything.

Doc had told me this was a possibility. However, it is supposed to clear up. It was extremely unusual for it to continue to happen after I'd been taking it for so long. After the usual "Are you sure you're not dehydrated?" that everyone asks every time I mention it, we decided I'll not take the med if I'm expecting to exercise hard the next day. Otherwise, I'll put up with it because the benefits outweigh the costs. Caffeine and support hose have been suggested.
Most doctors I know are not like yours.

Mine try to gaslight me.

My pneumologist once denied that my asthma meds can cause crippling muscle spasms, even when I told him that it is a possible side effect written right there in the meds info paper, and I had been having muscle spasms since he upped my doses. And I had to go looking through all my regular meds to see if any could be causing this.

His response was "Those meds don't cause that"

I had to insist with him, and he, finally, reluctantly, prescribed magnesium ampoules for me to take 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have been told outright that reading the meds info is not a good idea because it might scare you...
My jaw just about dropped when I heard that.

Only thing I ever heard that is worse, was a former "pastor" telling me that knowing a lot about the Bible isn't a good thing. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I have been told outright that reading the meds info is not a good idea because it might scare you.
I can see that. Many of the possible side effects aren't really proven side effects. They are something that happened at a slightly elevated rate among the people who took the drug. If normally ten out of ten thousand people would experience a condition and in their trials, fifteen people who took the drug experienced the condition, they have to include that as a potential but rare side effect even though it could be random.

People will latch onto that one-in-a-thousand risk and act as though they expect it to happen. If you know what the placebo effect is, this is a kind of a reverse placebo.

I only started reading the medical info on meds after having some scary and painful things happen and not knowing why. Then speaking with my doctor and promptly being taken off meds I was taking.

I didn't know that ibuprofen can cause asthma attacks and should not be taken by people who already suffer from asthma. When I got some really nasty side effects because of it, I was told that ibuprofen can cause asthma attacks...

I had hepatitis when I was 9 years old, from some tainted milk at school or something.
I only discovered that venlafaxine can cause liver trouble after taking it and starting to feel like I was a balloon and feeling like my skin was on fire.

I have more examples like that 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not knowing what a medication can cause, can be pretty dangerous. That is why Doctors should be honest with their patients.

Modern/Western medicine is really (mostly) just a pharmaceutical industry. Doctors hold all of the keys, we’re looking to them for directions on which door to open.

The mind is a powerful drug. That’s why there’s always a placebo group in any clinical trial. Some people will actually get relief from just thinking they are being cured.

The problem is that some people (not just doctors) are incredibly arrogant. They know everything, you’re just lucky to be in their orbit. Give him a Mercedes and a prescription pad, and you have a doctor who will tell you that it’s all in your head. I just avoid arrogant people, doctors and all. There’s plenty of other doctors I can change to be my GP.

Last edited:
A doctor in the hospital for my stroke gave me a drug for epilepsy other doctors thought it was for pain my left leg started losing muscle. harder and harder to walk finally figured the what was happening, new family doctor agreed that this drug may be the root cause of my issue so stopped taking this drug went into phisio to increase leg strengh
walking immediately improved.

A doctor in the hospital for my stroke gave me a drug for epilepsy other doctors thought it was for pain my left leg started losing muscle. harder and harder to walk finally figured the what was happening, new family doctor agreed that this drug may be the root cause of my issue so stopped taking this drug went into phisio to increase leg strengh
walking immediately improved.
When I was little, I was given this "amazing" new treatment fir asthma.
It destroyed my muscles. I couldn't walk, just walk, for more than a few minutes before feeling exhausted and starting to have leg cramps. I had to be carried everywhere because I just couldn't walk.
It also affected my heart. I'd have palpitations out of nowhere. I had never had a heart condition. It was scary.

Took me years to recover from that. And all from a few months worth of shots I took. And the doctor never told my mother what the medication was that he had injected into me.

That was my first big scare with miracle medication.

Oh... and after going through all that, my asthma wasn't cured either.

New Threads

Top Bottom