• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

USB microphone on a Chromebook?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Already got one, that I've been using for some time while I've been living with the Parents till the useless Socials sort my new carers out, but the thing now doesn't work.

Had it in every USB port on the Laptop, and tried it on Dad's Windows 10 Laptop and it does not work.

It's a brand new microphone which my Brother bought last year, could it be that it's out of warranty and is no longer fit for purpose? I've emailed my Brother in London, but he rarely responds to emails because he works full time and has 2 kids.

I am fully aware of Google so if you're just going to tell me to Google the problem don't bother (and that includes YOU Judge)

If it doesn't work on either computer, I'd say it's probably not working any more.

Check that it didn't have a warranty of longer than a year, as some things do and that way it's covered if it's broken.

Had it in every USB port on the Laptop, and tried it on Dad's Windows 10 Laptop and it does not work.

If a USB device doesn't work on two entirely different OS platforms it's a foregone conclusion that the hardware device itself is broken (not the driver software) provided you make one other deduction.

To make sure other USB devices work ok in both computers, to rule out any possibility of damaged USB ports which sometimes occurs if users frequently try to jam a male connector into the port the wrong way. If a USB port is compromised on the laptop itself, you have a much bigger problem. In any event, be gentle when plugging in any USB peripheral device.

There was a time when I would have asked what version of USB the hardware device has versus the port you are plugging it into. However I'm assuming the microphone is relatively new along with your Chromebook, apart from the fact that it's likely the device in question has backwards compatibility as well. Making version 1,2&3 concerns likely a moot point. Though personally I have a minor concern of USB 3.0 in general in how it may or may not potentially interfere with certain older devices.

Last edited:
Topic.

Might've found out why the microphone doesn't work, the USB port on my Chromebook Laptop is faulty and doesn't function.

Short of trying to get my Brother to buy me a new Laptop, is there anything cheap I can do?

I don't really understand why you didn't reply with this to your original post about the issue with the microphone. EDIT: I see the threads were merged.

To answer your question: no, not really. The port would need replacing and I have no idea how much that would cost. Chromebooks can be very reasonably priced. I have one and I got it, a Chromecast and a tablet (Asus I believe) for £180 in a bundle at Currys/PC World a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, if the Chromebook in question has only a single USB port then he's SOL.

Products at this price range simply aren't worth fixing unless you can do the work yourself. I'm guessing a tech would charge him close to two hours labor plus the part to fix it. Which could amount to 3/4 the total cost of the Chromebook.

However if there's a second USB port which isn't also damaged, he can use a hub to daisychain all his USB peripherals assuming they're forward or backwards compatible depending on the USB version of the port in question. No guarantees.

Last edited:
Yeah, if the Chromebook in question has only a single USB port then he's SOL.

Products at this price range simply aren't worth fixing unless you can do the work yourself. I'm guessing a tech would charge him close to two hours labor plus the part to fix it. Which could amount to 3/4 the total cost of the Chromebook.

However if there's a second USB port which isn't also damaged, he can use a hub to daisychain all his USB peripherals assuming they're forward or backwards compatible depending on the USB version of the port in question. No guarantees.

There are 3 ports, for the Keyboard and Mouse, and the mic, obviously the keyboard and mouse work.

Grr FFS, I hate Chromebooks! But my Brother is scared of viruses/hackers etc, he thinks if I went back on Windows I'd spend the rest of my life getting hacked because the Internet hates me (it's not my fault I cannot get a job, **** you "Equal opportunities")

Last edited:
There are 3 ports, for the Keyboard and Mouse, and the mic, obviously the keyboard and mouse work.

This is good. Then use the likely solution I already provided.

And above all, handle all USB ports gently. Never try to force a connection. USB devices are pretty much universal to all hardware platforms, no matter what OS platform is involved. There's just no way to get away from them these days.

Last edited:
This is good. Then use the likely solution I already provided.

And above all, handle all USB ports gently. Never try to force a connection. USB devices are pretty much universal to all hardware platforms, no matter what OS platform is involved. There's just no way to get away from them these days.

I am aware of all that, you see contrary to what nearly everybody else on the Internet thinks of me, I am NOT a retarded moron.

Plus, I've been using USB devices on various PCs for years.

I am aware of all that, you see contrary to what nearly everybody else on the Internet thinks of me, I am NOT a retarded moron.

Plus, I've been using USB devices on various PCs for years.

You don't have to be mentally retarded to have problems with high technology. Though hopefully in the future you won't have such problems regarding USB devices if you keep some of this in mind. While it's possible, I've never had a port simply "go bad". Though I know forcing them in the wrong way can physically compromise them. Most often because a lot of people tend to insert such connections based on feel rather than sight. Whether you're Einstein or not.

You really should think about taking that "chip off your shoulder" here. Where people are (or were) willing to help you, despite your consistent rudeness and impatience. The rest of the Internet is not likely to be so forgiving. But I think you already know that.

Another thing to consider is not to be fixated on perceived accusations of mental retardation, but rather your executive functioning skills. A subject perhaps never explained to you relative to your being diagnosed on the spectrum as an adult rather than a child. And that it's still possible for you to improve such skills that really have nothing to do with basic intelligence.

But don't take my word for this. Put your ego aside and take a serious look at these two links. Do some soul searching and see how some of this may resonate with you:

Improving Executive Function | Autism Article

3 Areas of Executive Function

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom