• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Waiting Rooms are Awful

Cutesie

Struggling to exist, trying to believe in change.
V.I.P Member
If I'm in a waiting room, it's usually because I'm there for an appointment that is anxiety-producing. Whether it's with a therapist, doctor or governmental figure, I'm already on edge when checking in. The waiting room experience excaberates these feelings greatly.

Sitting in a room with strangers. The usually-open layout, without crannies to hide in. Not knowing if it'll be two minutes or twenty (or longer than an hour at some places). It drives me nuts. Besides for not enjoying feeling anxious, it's not all that conducive to having good results from the meeting. This is especially so with therapy, which requires me to be calm in order for some productivity to take place.

At one therapy clinic, there was a children's waiting room that was usually empty and with the light off. It was so much better when I could go in there and sit on the floor. The problem was that I was always nervous about being seen as creepy or something. There were actually times when a security guard would make me leave. That I don't do well in defending myself towards authority figures makes it more dangerous.

When going to a doctor this week, I chose to sit on the floor of the waiting room. Being lower down has always felt safer, especially in times of stress. This office is in my religious community and used by its members, and the room was relatively full. You'd have to be one of us to understand how much floor-sitting is viewed negatively. It's seen as childish and crazy, but there's also a superstition around it, because mourners are not allowed to sit on regular chairs. I'm beginning to not care what people think.

I know that asking for accommodations is warranted and appropriate. It's just hard for me to make myself vulnerable in that way. This is one of the many areas in which I struggle in deciding how much to let myself and others label me as disabled.

This topic must be familiar to lots of you, no?

Last edited:
I've always thought waiting itself is awful.
Oh, yes it is, but telling me that I'll have to wait for a specific amount of time is fine, as long as I can do something while waiting. It's the uncertainty that gets me.

I generally dislike waiting rooms too, but have learned to take a book or read something interesting or funny on the internet. I am at the point now where I typically don’t mind waiting while reading and feel cheated when I have to stop reading, haha.

I generally dislike waiting rooms too, but have learned to take a book or read something interesting or funny on the internet. I am at the point now where I typically don’t mind waiting while reading and feel cheated when I have to stop reading, haha.
If I could sit in the corner on the floor, put on headphones to block the noise and sunglasses for light, bury my eyes into a phone or book, and have someone give me a tap when they're ready for me instead of loudly calling out my name, it would be perfectly manageable.

At my doctor's surgery you have to just turn up between 8 and 10 in the morning and wait for a doctor to call you. So you're usually waiting for up to an hour. It's quite a good system if you don't mind waiting, but I hate waiting and become very agitated, especially if there's nothing going on on the internet to distract me (like if this forum is too inactive or something). And I get on edge in case someone comes in with a crying baby or a toddler that might get bored and start crying (I'm jealous of babies and toddlers because they get to show their feelings while I've just got to sit quietly and pretend like I have all the time and patience in the world). One time there was an inconsolable toddler screaming so loud in the waiting room that it was hard to ignore. I do wish they had a separate waiting room for people with small children. I just can't bear the sound of them.

So that usually puts me off going to the doctor's. I hate when you try and get some answers about an ailment online and people say "just see your doctor". I know people online aren't doctors so can't diagnose me properly, but it's still the first thing I do, maybe to hear other's experiences or just reassurance.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from as I struggle with some of the same issues. I strongly advise against waiting in the children's area especially with the light off as it will creep out NTs.

We have loud, bright infomercials yelling at us not to smoke etc (ya think…?)

I think it would be nice to have updates like a train timetable on delays at surgeries.

There was an experiment done to show that people don't mind things being late,.as long as they are kept informed. The most stressful thing was just the board showing delayed without further info. Worth bearing in mind for personal life.

If I'm in a waiting room, it's usually because I'm there for an appointment that is anxiety-producing. Whether it's with a therapist, doctor or governmental figure, I'm already on edge when checking in. The waiting room experience excaberates these feelings greatly.

Sitting in a room with strangers. The usually-open layout, without crannies to hide in. Not knowing if it'll be two minutes or twenty (or longer than an hour at some places). It drives me nuts. Besides for not enjoying feeling anxious, it's not all that conducive to having good results from the meeting. This is especially so with therapy, which requires me to be calm in order for some productivity to take place.

At one therapy clinic, there was a children's waiting room that was usually empty and with the light off. It was so much better when I could go in there and sit on the floor. The problem was that I was always nervous about being seen as creepy or something. There were actually times when a security guard would make me leave. That I don't do well in defending myself towards authority figures makes it more dangerous.

When going to a doctor this week, I chose to sit on the floor of the waiting room. Being lower down has always felt safer, especially in times of stress. This office is in my religious community and used by its members, and the room was relatively full. You'd have to be one of us to understand how much floor-sitting is viewed negatively. It's seen as childish and crazy, but there's also a superstition around it, because mourners are not allowed to sit on regular chairs. I'm beginning to not care what people think.

I know that asking for accommodations is warranted and appropriate. It's just hard for me to make myself vulnerable in that way. This is one of the many areas in which I struggle in deciding how much to let myself and others label me as disabled.

This topic must be familiar to lots of you, no?

Social customs are so rigid aren't they! I always say it's a neurotypical version of rigid thinking. Unemoathetic by the guard, some jobsworth ordered it.

It is also hard to communicate our needs to those who don't get it.

Last edited:
I am never good in situations like this because of my ADHD.
I have difficulty simply chilling out. 🥶

I'm trying to understand if i might have ADHD. What if you had a smart phone, would that make it okay or not? I'd be fine with a smart phone.

I'm trying to understand if i might have ADHD. What if you had a smart phone, would that make it okay or not? I'd be fine with a smart phone.
My doctor's facility has poor reception.
I don't even bother any longer.

New Threads

Top Bottom